Building a jaw crusher

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480378204.328319.jpg
I made the jaws out of 1" plate and the sides out of 1/2" it took me two days to build the adapters and cut the eccentric shaft. I don't have a 4 jaw chuck so it took some thinking to make it work in the little lathe. Should have it done before xmas. Today I hit the harbor freight sale and picked up a hammer drill so I can drill blasting holes.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a serious crusher, for sure. Going to take some serious HP to turn that. Nice build. Looking forward to some video of that.
Jim

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1386127
I made the jaws out of 1" plate and the sides out of 1/2" it took me two days to build the adapters and cut the eccentric shaft. I don't have a 4 jaw chuck so it took some thinking to make it work in the little lathe. Should have it done before xmas. Today I hit the harbor freight sale and picked up a hammer drill so I can drill blasting holes.

If you bought the bigger yellow one not the little red one, open up the cap and pack that puppy full of the included grease. I have done this on the one I have now and it's 4 years old. The other two I had to return seized up within a week. My friend beat the bejeebers out of his and returned it before it seized. I think him walking in with his wrist wrapped in an ace bandage saying "The da**ed thing almost broke my wrist helped.:laughing7:

Just curious. What are you going to use to power your crusher? The rest looks great so far!!

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im going to try and get it geared down and run it with a 6 HP if that wont do it ill buy whatever I have to have to run it. I know a 22 Hp will if I have to go that big. I really don't see any use in over powering it to the point I cant keep it fed. I wanted to buy a Keene until I priced the materials and realized they are clearing about $8000 on a $9500 crusher. They are super proud of the bearings they use and well they are good bearings because I bought the same thing after talking to the man at Purvis bearings that's what he recommended. The flange bearings were about $75 each. The two main bearings that im using are way over kill and I pulled them out of a gear box off of a oil field pump jack. The weakest point in the drive is going to be where I machined the shaft down from 2 3/8" to 1 1/4". I didn't have enough room to leave a taper on the journals of the shaft. Ill just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't shear there. The bull wheel is a fly wheel off a mack engine that weighs about 120 lbs so I think im good on that end.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On your eccentric, as long as you don't have a sharp corner where the offset meets the bearing journal you should be ok. Ideally on a 1 1/4" shaft subject to a high load you should have about a 1/8" radius there.

So your movable jaw is going to have a 2 1/8" stroke? Gonna take LOTS of power to run that.

Take your desired stroke and divide it in half. That is the amount of offset you need. So if you want a 1/2" stroke, you need a 1/4" offset from the centerline of the bearing journal. When it rotates it will be 1/4" forward of the centerline and 1/4" rearward of the centerline totaling 1/2" of total stroke.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive been wanting to build one of these BUT I have absolutely NO need for one , and my shop ran out of room for anything big years back!:BangHead: Nice build!!

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0020.JPG
Well here is the progress on the jaw crusher. My dad finished it up since I left at thanksgiving. Now I just need to make a trip to Texas and pick it up.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483207349.487840.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483207376.394362.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483207424.112690.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483207459.763196.jpg

Here are some pictures of the crusher. The first day my dad got here with it we got some rain so we pulled in the garage and ran it for a few minutes. In the last 5 days I've ran it at least a couple hours a day and haven't had any issues. I've been running everything from the jaw crusher one trip in the flail mill to make it all -50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread