Buy (Chinese) vs. Build jaw crusher and ball mill

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been bugging me a few weeks about buying Chinese made equipment because you just don't know what you'll get. It could be complete garbage, or it could be decent machinery. It's not like you can just hop on over there like you're Forrest Gump and play some pingy-pongy.

Dad's company has bought stuff from all over the world. From plate steel to half-finished ships for conversion into offshore oil exploration platforms. Some of it has quality issues here and there like the plate we used to get from Ukraine that had so much silica thrown into it parts of the steel looked like druzy quartz. It is what it is.

I asked him about buying crushers and such from over there. Let me preface this, he HATES communists. Most of his childhood friends are in Arlington National because of Vietnam and he's hated communism on a personal level for longer than I've been alive.

His thoughts were that heavy machinery coming from over there isn't too bad. I was actually kinda surprised, but then again it might've been Macallen 18 year tempering his thoughts.

Few days ago a Chinese firm dropped a note on one of the gold groups on Facebook. I got in contact with them for what I'm looking for, a jaw crusher and ball mill. I wanted to see what kind of sized equipment they had, if they could give me some guidance on sizing the right rod mill to the appropriate jaw crusher, and pricing.

Their English is pretty dang good, but some of it I get a chuckle out of. They said their jaw crusher would be shipped naked in a container. Hell, I wanted my in a tuxedo, but it'll do. what they meant is that it won't be on a pallet, but I bet you could talk them into it.

So here's what they gave me. I'll convert all the metric for you here.

Jaw Crusher: 5.9"x9.8"
Max feed size: 5.9"
Output: about 3/8" to 1.5"
Dimensions of unit: 28"x30"x33"
Weight: 1600 pounds
3 Phase electric motor comes with it.
Does 1 to 3 tons per hour

Matched size ball mill
35" Diameter cylinder
71" length of cylinder
needs a 1.5t ball load.
Feed size less than or equal to 3/4 of an inch
Capacity from .65 to 2 tons per hour
Discharge size: 75 micron (200 mesh) to 890 micron (little bigger than 20 mesh)

The price for both, shipped to LA, $11,970.00

Here's what you get for that price though.

price.jpg

The jaw crusher by itself is actually surprisingly inexpensive and comes with a motor. I want them to quote me the jaw crusher without a motor since I need to use gas power out where I am.

This is the sheet that I did the conversions from.

specs.jpg

A shot of the ball mill which comes with the motor and reduction drive also. Honestly, I think that's a helluva deal even if it only runs a year or two.

consign 2.jpg

I'd want crating or pallet inside the container for a few extra bucks.

consignment.jpg

Another shot of the ball mill so you can get a better idea of the size.

consign 3.jpg

There are some photos in the quote they gave me for the jaw crusher, but none of them look like the actual unit based on the dimensions. EDIT: I think that is the actual jaw crusher inside that conex box. If you measure from outside to outside of the sheaves, and compared it to the 35" wide ball mill, it looks about right.

Anyway, I knew some of you are interested. If all goes to plan, I'll probably grab a jaw crusher to start this spring and build my own rod mill to start.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, you really can't beat the price for that Chinese stuff. If at all possible, get something that is meant for twice the work you're planning on doing. That way maybe it'll hold up for a while.

That's some serious steel you're looking at!! Hope all works out. That said, there's a lot to be said for building your own - like knowing you can get replacement parts, how everything goes and works together, and what you're getting for your money. ...Now you just have to figure out which is more palatable for your liking.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Im a BIG "made in America" kinda guy ! and if I cant buy American , I like to build it myself. I don't know your ability to build something ,and where you location is that you plan to use it BUT shipping is a killer for the heavy equipment!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Im a BIG "made in America" kinda guy ! and if I cant buy American , I like to build it myself. I don't know your ability to build something ,and where you location is that you plan to use it BUT shipping is a killer for the heavy equipment!
I'm a big "Made in USA"-dude also!! However, sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons of what's available, regardless of what your personal preferences are. Like, even with shipping, he's gonna be hard-pressed to find or make those parts for even twice the cost he'll have to pay for them! If it were smaller equipment, I'd definitely recommend the DIY approach!! In this case, it's gonna be something he has to figure out himself, as he knows his pocketbook, calendar and building skills. But the benefits of DIY "do" go far beyond simply understanding how to fix it when it breaks down or knowing that parts would be readily accessible!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can hold off for a little bit, I'll hopefully be able to sell you an AMERICAN MADE one. Still working the bugs out on getting set up to be a supporting vendor. Getting all this stuff set up is tougher than I remember.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can hold off for a little bit, I'll hopefully be able to sell you an AMERICAN MADE one. Still working the bugs out on getting set up to be a supporting vendor. Getting all this stuff set up is tougher than I remember.

I ain't in no big hurry. Right now I'm drawing up plans for mine cart and saving a few pennies for a welding machine.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You're gonna need a heavy-duty welder for that kind of machinery!! Got a stick welder in mind?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're gonna need a heavy-duty welder for that kind of machinery!! Got a stick welder in mind?

Big MIG would work. Something in the 250 amp range. Mine will do 1/2" single pass with .065 wire. Don't run that high to often, its hard on the machine.

On a stick welder, I would recommend a 7018 rod. Runs easy and makes beautiful welds if you do your part.

On MIG, I would recommend Outershield 71M ran with C25 welding gas. Again beautiful welds and the slag rolls right off, just can't run vertical down with that wire so make sure your fit up is good.

With either process, try to keep your welds in the flat position. Its just easier to control the puddle that way.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
On multiple pass' you need chamfer the metal edges and space the material the thickness of the rod your using and run 6010 or 6013 for the root pass then use the 7018 for the next pass' and chip the slag off for each pass using a needle scaler or chipper. BUT if MM cuts you a deal , Id jump on it!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On multiple pass' you need chamfer the metal edges and space the material the thickness of the rod your using and run 6010 or 6013 for the root pass then use the 7018 for the next pass' and chip the slag off for each pass using a needle scaler or chipper. BUT if MM cuts you a deal , Id jump on it!

On the 6010 rod, try to find the 5P rod. It will be marked like this, +++++, near the end. The rod has been optimized to eliminate the arc wander of the standard 6010. The nice thing about a 7018 is the fact that if your amp setting is right and your travel speed is right, the slag will quite literally peel itself right off.

For most people, I recommend starting with a MIG. It's just easier to use as stick welding can be something of an art form depending upon what your welding. But your standard AC/DC tombstone can be set up as a TIG welder rather easily. Just need the TIG torch, a gas regulator, and a bottle of gas for whatever metal your welding.

The high frequency stuff is just for extra cleaning on aluminum. Aluminum can be welded without high frequency, you just need to make sure the weld area is clean.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got no problem with taking one off your hands when you get one built.

Here's the welder I'm going to pick up for light duty stuff.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....=cpc&utm_content=895&utm_campaign=product-ads

This is some of the equipment I got to build going through college and such. We also built large material conveyor systems, sand and gravel plants, ship offloading systems, and other assorted oil field equipment that's not shown.

http://www.nov.com/Segments/Complet...oppant_Equipment/Frac_Proppant_Equipment.aspx

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Had never heard of Tweco before. Looks like a decent machine.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Had never heard of Tweco before. Looks like a decent machine.

Me either. The only machines I have ever run are Lincolns and Millers.

I went on a welding forum and asked what a good machine would be for my situation. I explained the terrain, lack of a road, and the necessity to have to carry everything to the mine by hand. Half of the suggestions were worthless like buy this thing:

22kW Multiquip DCA25

Or get an engine driven welder like a Lincoln 650.

Someone suggested the Tweco, and it looks like it'll do what I need it to, for the time being.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Next time you ask for help, maybe you should point out that you're not some TV superhero. :laughing7:

superhero-car-lift-234x300.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Tweco is a big manufacture and ive used their products for years. Especially their welding cable connectors. But back then I had a fabrication shop.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That tweco isnt a bad machine at all. Inverted based technology has come a long way. Even most of the new plasma cutters are inverted based.

It should handle just about everything you'll need.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this conversation has got well away from the original question from rock crushers into welders.
#1 before anyone wastes their bucks on a welder here's a secret. It's not as easy as You tube makes it look.
That's why it's called a skilled worker craft. And BTW cost me near $40/hr if I remember.
Just like a woodworker has to butcher a lot of wood to be any good, a welder has to burn a bunch of steel.
I've known a few good welders and a whole bunch of crappy ones.
Take a class or two and save yourself some grief.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread