Some questions about hard rock mining

Wildlifeliving

Greenie
Feb 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read in a thread a few comments that I was thinking about: "There is no such thing as easy mining" and "That's why it's called hardrock mining because its so hard to do lol" So if you had a large gold ledge with solid gold and when carving out chunks of it they were to be basically pure gold, would that be considered hard rock mining? Or would it maybe be called something else?
And how do these statements aply to that, ie is that considered to be hard? What time frame would you put if it was pure gold you were carving and mining in to pull out like 10 lbs with a hammer and a tool like this http://www.pothierenterprises.com/old/images/PNEUMATIC-STEEL-CHISEL.jpg its like 5 inches long and 1 inch wide at the top. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, pretty new to this stuff.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. (chisel)

As for the 10lb. of gold per chunk, that would be a dream. Maybe
it could happen, but:

carving out chunks of it they were to be basically pure gold, would that be
considered hard rock mining?

No, that would be called "getting filthy rich in a hurry".....
digging_zpsefcf9a69.gif~original

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You've seen movies about inmates (or POW's, as the case may be) where they spend all day every day busting great big rocks into little ones, right? In the old days, hard rock mining was similar - just not limited to a 5 lb. sledge. Placer miners back in the day used a shovel (or anything else that would work!) to dig through dirt. Moving dirt is a LOT easier than digging through solid rock.

Now, about this "solid gold bench" you mention...I'm not saying it's not possible or has never been found, but "most" natural gold found is not pure. Most gold is mixed with other metals, such as silver and/or copper. Other gold/gold mixtures may be mixed with sulfur (sulfides), etc. If only silver or copper is in the gold, then it can still be native and only needs refining. However, sulfides require much more work to process. Then you also have Tellurides and Selenides; like sulfides, both requiring additional processing.

If you're looking to get into mining, it will be quite easy for you to go to an area that is historically known for gold and find some for yourself. What is difficult is finding enough to live on. Doesn't matter if you want to do placer or hard rock, unless you just happen to be really lucky, chances are you will fail at earning a living. Again, not impossible - as several Tnet members DO make their living mining gold!! But for the most part, most do fail. Anyone who tends to give up easy is almost certain to!!

Alaska and northern Canada still have a large amount of untapped gold. Why? Because they also have even more obstacles to deal with. Things such as extreme cold, short mining seasons, no roads, no stores, no equipment, no gas stations, etc, etc, etc... So some folks have taken to the northern latitudes regardless, in hopes of finding larger amounts of that yeller metal. Again, you can almost certainly find "some" gold, but finding enough to live on is another story. ...One could more easily make money by walking roadways and picking up aluminum cans for recycling, or mowing lawns. ...Actually, I know a guy in Arkansas who mows lawns. He has tried to retire 2 times now, but still can't seem to get down to a 40-hour work week! ...You should see the truck he drives, not to mention his trailer and mowers!! Sweet!! But then, he takes pride in his work. Plus, he has never once done any advertising other than on his truck. It has only been word-of-mouth.

Just a few things to consider.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, it would still be considered hardrock mining and if it was as easy as you posted, everybody would be doing it.

This is a rough life. You WILL sweat and stink when it is hot. You WILL get wet and freeze when it is cold. You WILL get dirty enough that you'll have to take a "pre-shower" outside in your boxers before you come in the house for a real shower. You WILL break things, both on equipment and in your body. You WILL experience the "feast and famine" thing.

But if you can handle all of that, you WILL make some damn good life time friends and have some cool stories to tell your grandchildren.

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
I respectfully disagree. If.....you learn the propper fine gold recovery methods like properly using mercury a small trommel and maybe a centerfuge & an impact mill you can do darn good. Buy small commercial equiptment not hobby toys and you can make good money. You have to invest it the right tools. Learn how to test the correct way & have patients. Nothing wrong on doing it for a hobby but if you want to make a living at it this is how it is done. There is more info out there to steer you away than there is good info. The info you read in books is meant to keep you buying the latest gaget not mining equiptment.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hypothetically speaking....I'd imagine a really gold rich area with heavy volcanic activity in the past could produce such a miners dream.

Original question....I would consider it too be monster gold recovery.

The legendary lost river of gold comes to mind.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Technically speaking, "hard rock mining" is removing ore (valuable mineral deposits including precious metals) from where it was originally deposited during the formation of the earth. In the case of gold, the deposits are not always but often in the form of veins surrounded by valueless "country rock" and, while mining, the target is the gold bearing vein or mineralized "hard rock". A gold ledge would be one of these formations/veins.

California, in particular, has ancient gold placer deposits that were buried by, more recent but still ancient, volcanic and/or tectonic activity and these too have to be mined using some of the techniques of hard rock mining. They are not, in a technical sense, hard rock mines since the gold was eroded from the original veins and deposited as placers in ancient rivers. In this type of mining the goal is to excavate, by tunneling, an underground gold placer/riverbed which largely consists of naturally cemented gravels, etc.

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I respectfully disagree. If.....you learn the propper fine gold recovery methods like properly using mercury a small trommel and maybe a centerfuge & an impact mill you can do darn good. Buy small commercial equiptment not hobby toys and you can make good money. You have to invest it the right tools. Learn how to test the correct way & have patients. Nothing wrong on doing it for a hobby but if you want to make a living at it this is how it is done. There is more info out there to steer you away than there is good info. The info you read in books is meant to keep you buying the latest gaget not mining equiptment.

You might want to read my signature. It's not there as a joke.

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Arrogant Replies on this forum

You might want to read my signature. It's not there as a joke.

If Your are a "professional miner" why be arrogant? I was not being smart I was giving my opinion, I also was not replying to your signature line. Instead of making mining seem impossible,why not encourage the guy? There is still plenty out there.....but very few honest mentors. Then you jump on me.....why? Maybe a better response would be sure I make a living at it every day because I turn mountains into dust! I would be happy to point you in the right direction.......:headbang:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If Your are a "professional miner" why be arrogant? I was not being smart I was giving my opinion, I also was not replying to your signature line. Instead of making mining seem impossible,why not encourage the guy? There is still plenty out there.....but very few honest mentors. Then you jump on me.....why? Maybe a better response would be sure I make a living at it every day because I turn mountains into dust! I would be happy to point you in the right direction.......:headbang:

I'm not being arrogant. I'm just telling it like it is. There is no room in this business for snowflakes.

YOU are the one who came here claiming all you need to be a successful miner is a commercial grade impact mill and some mercury. Commercial grade equipment does not a successful miner make. You better be able to run it to its potential and then fix it when it breaks. If that commercial grade impact mill can process 1 ton per hour then you had better be feeding it one ton per hour or your wasting money. Losing money is not a sign of a successful miner.

So tell me, what do you do with the left over material that has been exposed to mercury? Do you send it to the proper facility for processing as the hazardous waste that it now is or do you just dump it out wherever on the ground? There is a great deal more than just getting the gold to being a successful miner.

What I posted earlier is the truth about mining. If you can't handle the truth about mining, then you don't belong in the industry. This industry has broken a hell of a lot of people in more ways than one.

All because you are recovering gold does not make you a successful miner. What is your overhead on the equipment like repairs, fuel, and replacement cost? What is your overhead on things like food, lodging, and such? All of that had to be weighed against what you recover. If at the end of the day, you have enough to pay your normal household and business bills, then yes, you are successful. If not, well......

I don't pull punches on hardrock mining. This is an industry that WILL KILL YOU if you act like a fool.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Umm....MM? I think you forgot something. You first have to have a spot that HAS gold! :laughing7: :icon_thumright:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not being arrogant. I'm just telling it like it is. There is no room in this business for snowflakes.

YOU are the one who came here claiming all you need to be a successful miner is a commercial grade impact mill and some mercury. Commercial grade equipment does not a successful miner make. You better be able to run it to its potential and then fix it when it breaks. If that commercial grade impact mill can process 1 ton per hour then you had better be feeding it one ton per hour or your wasting money. Losing money is not a sign of a successful miner.

So tell me, what do you do with the left over material that has been exposed to mercury? Do you send it to the proper facility for processing as the hazardous waste that it now is or do you just dump it out wherever on the ground? There is a great deal more than just getting the gold to being a successful miner.

What I posted earlier is the truth about mining. If you can't handle the truth about mining, then you don't belong in the industry. This industry has broken a hell of a lot of people in more ways than one.

All because you are recovering gold does not make you a successful miner. What is your overhead on the equipment like repairs, fuel, and replacement cost? What is your overhead on things like food, lodging, and such? All of that had to be weighed against what you recover. If at the end of the day, you have enough to pay your normal household and business bills, then yes, you are successful. If not, well......

I don't pull punches on hardrock mining. This is an industry that WILL KILL YOU if you act like a fool.

Nothing to add, just quoting for truth.

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
And impact mill & Mercury

Seriously! Is that what I said? Keep turning them mountains into dust..... It is obvious you are the smartest man on the planet and have the personality of a rock. Oh by the way my cons don't have mercury in them.LOL:thumbsup: Next time I see a big opperation in Az I will stop and say Hi.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously! Is that what I said? Keep turning them mountains into dust..... It is obvious you are the smartest man on the planet and have the personality of a rock. Oh by the way my cons don't have mercury in them.LOL:thumbsup: Next time I see a big opperation in Az I will stop and say Hi.

I don't think he means any offense. It's just that, the way you worded your first post, it was like, as long as somebody tries and does everything right to begin with, that they will succeed. And that's just not true. You can do everything right but be on bad ground. And who gets everything right on the first try??

I think that's what he was trying to say, IMO. No disrespect intended.

In my first post, I wrote that there ARE other ways to make a living, and without a large investment. This is a hard business to get into. Easy if you're in it as a hobby, but hard if you're in it for a living. You just have to take your due diligence and learn all you can, make your best choices and go for it. Still, there's no guarantee for success.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Nope not the smartest man on the planet. I just have a Phd. From the School of Hard Knocks.

NOTHING about mining is cheap or easy. I made my money by owning a coring rig. Worked all day at a day job in mining and then went out and ran the rig with my employees at night and on the weekends. Then came home and figured out the bills and if I was lucky get four hours of sleep a night. I've watched so many like you lose EVERYTHING trying to do things like you say. Yea, you may start out ok, sink your life savings into a venture only to have it peter out after your hundreds of thousands in debt chasing something that isn't there.

You'll have to forgive me if I hurt your feelings, but very, very few get lucky enough to happen upon a deposit that they can live off of and spreading the false rumors that it is not only easy buy likely is straight up lying to people just like the books you bash.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think he means any offense. It's just that, the way you worded your first post, it was like, as long as somebody tries and does everything right to begin with, that they will succeed. And that's just not true. You can do everything right but be on bad ground. And who gets everything right on the first try??

I think that's what he was trying to say, IMO. No disrespect intended.

In my first post, I wrote that there ARE other ways to make a living, and without a large investment. This is a hard business to get into. Easy if you're in it as a hobby, but hard if you're in it for a living. You just have to take your due diligence and learn all you can, make your best choices and go for it. Still, there's no guarantee for success.

It's all good. Some people can handle the truth, some can't. I just hate seeing people WILLINGLY setting themselves up for failure. I really do wish mining was different but it is what it is. I guess if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's all good. Some people can handle the truth, some can't. I just hate seeing people WILLINGLY setting themselves up for failure. I really do wish mining was different but it is what it is. I guess if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

Well MM, I don't think you "did" mean any offense. You were speaking your peace from your perspective, experience and understanding. I'm not yet a long-time member on here yet, but you don't strike me as the type to go around putting folks down. For the record, I agree with you - as should be obvious from my initial post. If it was so easy to go out and pull money out of the ground, more people would be doing it. But it's NOT easy! So much so that I went all the way through high school (in SE Texas) without hardly a glitch covering the gold rush days. No mention that gold mining is still being done in the world, except of course by multi-million dollar companies working in Africa or something! But there are LOTS of SSM's (Small Scale Miners), domestically and abroad. The VAST majority do it as a hobby. Why? Because that's what their efforts have amounted to.

I can almost guarantee you that any hobbyist miner that ends up making really good money for an extended period of time is going to leave his/her day job and do it professionally. But, there are very few that do. ...Sorta has something to do with gold being somewhat rare. :munky2:

OP
OP
W

Wildlifeliving

Greenie
Feb 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So regarding the original question, how long would it take to pull out 10 lbs of a ledge of gold? And with only simple mining tooles, and once again, the ledge in this case would be of basically pure gold. A whole daylike 8-10 hours? More or less?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread