A method for dealing with hogs, rodents, and coyotes in a mine.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't move to Calif. You'll have to register that little varmint rifle as an "assault weapon", Can not sell it or hand it down to a family member as of Jan 1st.
Hopefully the NRA will sue the state and overturn Gov Moonbeam Brown's new law.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't move to Calif. You'll have to register that little varmint rifle as an "assault weapon", Can not sell it or hand it down to a family member as of Jan 1st.

THAT'S insane!!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rattlesnakes in your mine? Gold AND breakfast in one place? I'm headed your way. Don't see many rattlesnakes here anymore. Maybe I should stop eating them for awhile.

You'll have rodent problems no matter what you do. Underground they are your friends. If you see more than two running in the same direction, FOLLOW THEM. They'll give you a heads up if something bad is about to happen.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Rattlesnakes in your mine? Gold AND breakfast in one place? I'm headed your way. Don't see many rattlesnakes here anymore. Maybe I should stop eating them for awhile.

You'll have rodent problems no matter what you do. Underground they are your friends. If you see more than two running in the same direction, FOLLOW THEM. They'll give you a heads up if something bad is about to happen.

Oh, I like the little critters in a mine. If they're in there, usually good air.

My mining partner always catches any rattlers we come across. Gives them away or sells them to universities for biomed research.

You know, with that shoulder pad I was wearing, that .50 didn't kick at all. I ran 20 rounds through her and not even slightly bruised, tender, or sore. It felt like a hard push, at the level of a 12 gauge 2 3/4" bird shot, but without the slap of a shotgun.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I like the little critters in a mine. If they're in there, usually good air.

My mining partner always catches any rattlers we come across. Gives them away or sells them to universities for biomed research.

You know, with that shoulder pad I was wearing, that .50 didn't kick at all. I ran 20 rounds through her and not even slightly bruised, tender, or sore. It felt like a hard push, at the level of a 12 gauge 2 3/4" bird shot, but without the slap of a shotgun.

...And I'm in agony after snow plowing 6" of white stuff!

Neck injuries suck!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rattlesnakes won't be killed, but they gotta go...
kicked-out.jpg~original

Rest of the critters can stay so log as they aren't causing trouble, but as long as you
have mice you're gonna have snakes...they two go together like me and a Big Mac.

The new .50 cal's are some incredible weapons, but I'll take my old M40 any
day.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

do what?!

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
do what?!

Confiscation by attrition. I never step foot willingly in that state.

Rattlesnakes won't be killed, but they gotta go...
kicked-out.jpg~original

Rest of the critters can stay so log as they aren't causing trouble, but as long as you
have mice you're gonna have snakes...they two go together like me and a Big Mac.

The new .50 cal's are some incredible weapons, but I'll take my old M40 any
day.

My first rifle was a Remington Model 700 BDL, .270. I know the M40 family well.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice to # 1, do not go into mines. As far as snakes, they taste good and free. I do not go into mines and caves because of snakes, bats who have diseases, wild pigs who can kill me, and other wild animals.

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mice here could have hantavirus, no joke.

Little more penetration for the rock face

That's a homebuilt, he has more build videos.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mice here could have hantavirus, no joke.

Little more penetration for the rock face

That's a homebuilt, he has more build videos.

I'd be a little more worried about the bubonic plague. The rodents here still carry it. But considering how thectodents here get into everything, all of us who live here have probably already been exposed and are immune to it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lead dust hazard.
5 gal. Bucket trap cheaper than a single bmg round.
Looks fun though!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Living in the SW I get concerned about mice. We have cases of the plague and haunta virus (sp) every year.
If I find turds I get my spray bottle of 10% chlorine bleach before cleaning up.
Another problem for some are bats. The guano can have histoplasmosis.(sp) It's like getting serious pneumonia. Most people around chickens will test positive for the anti-bodies because of long exposures but I remember some experienced cavers from England, exploring a cave in Mexico, caught it and it was very serious.
I got exposed a lot before I realized the danger and the easy protection. A simple face mask.
Is this practicing medicine w/o a license??

Fortunately most exposure problems stops a short time after the light stops for a lot of the little buggers so a breathing mask won't need to be worn all that long.
I haven't run into bats in mines yet but I see no reason they would have a problem calling a mine home sweet home.

Even lone exposures won't necessarily prevent the diseases mice carry. Like a lot of diseases, some catch it and some don't. Most problems where I live are in the NW near the Rez. Often if caught late the victim won't make it.
A little chlorine prevention couldn't hurt.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Living in the SW I get concerned about mice. We have cases of the plague and haunta virus (sp) every year.
If I find turds I get my spray bottle of 10% chlorine bleach before cleaning up.
Another problem for some are bats. The guano can have histoplasmosis.(sp) It's like getting serious pneumonia. Most people around chickens will test positive for the anti-bodies because of long exposures but I remember some experienced cavers from England, exploring a cave in Mexico, caught it and it was very serious.
I got exposed a lot before I realized the danger and the easy protection. A simple face mask.
Is this practicing medicine w/o a license??

Fortunately most exposure problems stops a short time after the light stops for a lot of the little buggers so a breathing mask won't need to be worn all that long.
I haven't run into bats in mines yet but I see no reason they would have a problem calling a mine home sweet home.

Even lone exposures won't necessarily prevent the diseases mice carry. Like a lot of diseases, some catch it and some don't. Most problems where I live are in the NW near the Rez. Often if caught late the victim won't make it.
A little chlorine prevention couldn't hurt.

Just about any mine here around Phoenix that has a drift off the shaft or an adit that stays cool during the summer has bats. I expect them now.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
MM that was neat!!! BUT did you see the flex in the barrel after the round went out......... Does this come with a shoulder strap for lugging around while squirrel hunting? :headbang:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
MM that was neat!!! BUT did you see the flex in the barrel after the round went out......... Does this come with a shoulder strap for lugging around while squirrel hunting? :headbang:

I can't view the video - can't even enable images for a couple more days(!!), but am pretty certain you're talking about firing a rifle. Yes, is difficult to imagine how one can place a shot at such distance so precisely and with repeatable results when the barrel flexes that much! Pretty fascinating, really....at least to me.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Our bombers (B47) had a stinger in it's tail. A double barrel cannon that shot 20mm bullets.
Big bullets for something like that gun shown. I wouldn't shoot that thing.
Some big brass thought the bomber crews needed to know what it would be like
to drop the two drop tanks (big tanks but I can't remember how big. 1000 gal comes to mind.) to see how it might affect flight. So they did over the ocean and shot them on the way down to be sure they sunk. The crews seemed to enjoy it.

Too bad as the tanks would have made a great pontoon boat.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread