A few things bugging me about my new adit...

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of things are keeping me up at night about this mine.

1. At 1:06-1:09 into the video, you can see that hole on the sill on the hanging wall side of the mine. As best as I can recollect, it's looked about 6' deep. Is the cut face then on top of a backfilled winze? Doubtful. It sure is interesting. Put this on the list of projects for the mine, to dig down at the cut face and see what's under the gangue.

winze.jpg

2. The adit is backfilled at two spots. At 9:31 you can see the adit backfill.

adit back fill.jpg

There's no cave-in or slide from the back or ribs, so that's an intentional backfill. Judging by that, and the change in amount of gangue on the floor behind the backfill as opposed in the front of the backfill going to the adit, this mine was worked on two different occasions. I'm thinking it was probably by a different set of miners. The gobbin stacking in the alcove at 1:29 is a lot more haphazard than the perfectly orderly stacking at 6:15.

gobbin stack 1 hanging wall.jpg

gobbin stack 2 hanging wall.jpg

The more dramatic version is that one miner offed the other and came back to keep mining.

3. So why backfill the adit way back there? There's no indications of flooding from the portal side of things. No mud on the ribs or sill. I think they were hiding how deep the mine went, or they had something stashed behind that backfill, like their tools or a cache of gold. Probably just tools.

adit back fill.jpg

back fill adit.jpg

4. If you do return to the mine to start mining again, why leave the backfill in the adit in place? You have to get across that narrow gap on your hands and knees, and the rock isn't dull. It's too small to bring a wheelbarrow or cart out if you were recovering those tools. The way it's been worn down, someone did dig through there to get to the working face of the mine.

5. If there were two sets of miners working the mine, the second set could be responsible for the backfills of the portal and the adit.

6. There's an old magazine no longer in print called "Desert Magazine." You can still find every issue online in an archive. It ran from about 1932 until the 70's. I've read a few of the early years, and every single month they have a story of a lost mine. Knowing the population of this mine area was between 100 and 500 persons at the time of the mine activity, this could be one of those old lost mines.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1. Most likely there was a small pocket the protruded upward. They mined if out and probably explored a little further. When it didn't pan out they moved on.

2. I agree. The part about one miner offing the other happened more often than people think. Gold does strange things to people. Never really bothered me. I was always like " Hooray we found it" then I was like "Ahh chit, now we gotta dig it out".

3. The backfill could have been to hide the mine. Kinda hard to find a mine if there really isn't any tailings outside to speak of. But the backfill could just have easily been the easiest and fastest way to clear barren gangue. Who wants to spend the time and effort to haul waste rock outside especially in a mine that narrow?

4. Most likely scenario is someone planned on returning with bigger and better equipment. So they hid it so no one else could take it. They more than likely met with an untimely end.

5. Possibly.

6. The Desert Southwest is full of little rabbit holes, especially back up little overgrown washes. The Apache put an end to their fair share of mining dreams. And with those dreams went the locations of a lot little and very rich mines. Most people don't know what to look for nor do they pay attention to what is around them.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Most likely there was a small pocket the protruded upward. They mined if out and probably explored a little further. When it didn't pan out they moved on.

That hole is right at the working face, goes down against the hanging wall.

2. I agree. The part about one miner offing the other happened more often than people think. Gold does strange things to people. Never really bothered me. I was always like " Hooray we found it" then I was like "Ahh chit, now we gotta dig it out".

That's the exact thing I said.

3. The backfill could have been to hide the mine. Kinda hard to find a mine if there really isn't any tailings outside to speak of. But the backfill could just have easily been the easiest and fastest way to clear barren gangue. Who wants to spend the time and effort to haul waste rock outside especially in a mine that narrow?

The odd thing about it though, its pretty far back into the mine, more than halfway I would expect. I wonder if that's where they were dumping the gangue from the winze they cut a little further up. IIRC though, it's got dirt in it, like they brought it in from outside. I'll have to check this weekend if it doesn't rain. Looks like we got a 90% chance right now.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My bad on the hole. That pneumonia came back with a vengeance. Running a 103 fever right now.

I'm wondering if the hole wasn't dug later by someone else maybe sampling a pocket?

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
My bad on the hole. That pneumonia came back with a vengeance. Running a 103 fever right now.

I'm wondering if the hole wasn't dug later by someone else maybe sampling a pocket?

I had to go to the doctor again today for the damn shingles. Sounds like you're a heckuva lot worse off than me. You shoulda drank your Ovaltine there hoss.

I don't know if it was dug out, it's damn narrow and deep. The only thing I can think of is that there is either a natural fracture in the rock, which might indicate a fault, or they filled in on top of a small winze.

If it is a fault, that might be where they lost the vein, but the face doesn't really look like it. Besides, I can trace the gossan on the surface on the opposite side of the wash for 300' and its untouched over there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread