Interesting and inexpensive method for temporary bracing in a mine

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been chatting with Keith who has the channel "Hard Rock University" on Youtube about mining for a few months off and on. Since the shingles are keeping me in bed most days now, I've gone through and watched all his videos, or almost all of them.

I will say that once you really understand how he figures out the economics of a mine it's pretty enlightening. From my position, I didn't know how to figure out even rudimentary economics of what makes a mine viable for working versus what makes a mine a really attractive endeavor. The only thing he doesn't touch on in the videos on that is the amortization and depreciation of equipment, and depletion expenses with regards to taxes and investments into the mine.

Anyway, this isn't about that.

He does have a cheap way of really nice bracing for a mine. He says it is only temporary bracing, but I can see how you could make it into more permanent, but really only for stulls.

There's a few changes I would make to the design he's using.

1. I would put a large washer between the wing nut on the top plate screw jack so that the pipe doesn't bite into the wing nut directly.

2. I would drill two holes in the bottom pipe so that you can bolt the two pieces together. I would use airframe bolts as well. The pin system he's using works good though too, as long as you put more permanent material in there sooner than later.

3. I'd make two of these into tripods. They could come in dang handy for putting in cap beams for your shoring of the adit.

AN bolts:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=ANBOLT

Swivel screw jack plate sets:

Scaffold Screw Jacks | Scaffold Leveling Jack | Base Plates

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Keith is pretty sharp. Been awhile since I talked to him. Those house jack things would probably work too.

Those probably would do the trick too.

I haven't met him in person yet, but it's just a matter of time. He offered to run some of my ore through the table he's designing, if the assays come back good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions