Exploration using magnetic and resisistivity and ip surveys

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
rios

19 hours ago

I am starting a new gold mining project in Zimbabwe. I have contacted a Geologist and Geophysicist who did a Magnetic Survey on the target area. He also did a Resistivity and I.P. Survey. No other method was used and one has to dig 8 meters into mudstone to get to rocks of any kind as there are no out-crops. There are people mining near the area and his interpretations were also based on information he got from shafts dug by the other people nearby.

He tells me to be more sure it would be prudent to diamond-core-drill ten 60 meter holes along the target area which would cost US$48,000 at US$80/meter.

If I sink one 60-meter shaft in one of the positions identified by the surveys, it would cost me less than $20,000 to do so including buying the equipment and paying laborers.

As an artisanal miner would it not make sense for me just sink a shaft and hope, because generally, people mining within 200-meter radius of this area are getting very high yields of gold, more than 100g/ton sometimes? The hope would be the reef is basically the same as it is the same greenstone belt.

I have attached a report with pictures and diagrams that further explain the results. How much can I rely on the three methods of survey results?

Attachments

• Gold Fan Report 10.12.2016.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 110

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to treasurenet!

Geophysics are used regularly in geology to find targets of interest. I use them often.
These are generally dependent on the guy interpreting them, the measurements in the field etc. In general they are quite accurate.
Often at least 1-2 drill holes are sunk down to confirm values in assay.

I'll give you that, decisions are hard to make. I'm not sure we can help you with that.

The survey looks good for the anomaly near 72RS3D48.
Even the geologist seems to think going for a shaft at that positions is a viable option, so..
I see other areas I'd be curious about, though, at a later stage.

I do have to point out; I'm more of a prospector then miner, perhaps someone else will put it into perspective for the small scale miner.

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to treasurenet!

Geophysics are used regularly in geology to find targets of interest. I use them often.
These are generally dependent on the guy interpreting them, the measurements in the field etc. In general they are quite accurate.
Often at least 1-2 drill holes are sunk down to confirm values in assay.

I'll give you that, decisions are hard to make. I'm not sure we can help you with that.

The survey looks good for the anomaly near 72RS3D48.
Even the geologist seems to think going for a shaft at that positions is a viable option, so..
I see other areas I'd be curious about, though, at a later stage.

I do have to point out; I'm more of a prospector then miner, perhaps someone else will put it into perspective for the small scale miner.

I value people's input, thank you. My worry with some geologists is they tell the client what they want to hear so they can have paychecks mailed.
I hope to maybe do another i.p but this time targeting 72RS3D48, intersecting it at 90 degrees. Unfortunately we have lots of rains this year so I will have to be patient as the ground is not going to dry anytime soon.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you know how to timber a shaft properly? Do you have the ability to pump the shaft out if it fills with water?

If the ground is able to absorb and hold that much water, then it is a major concern.

The last thing on my mind right now would be digging an exploratory shaft. I would want more testing done to prove the resource then possibly team up with a company to extract the ore or just outright sell the claim to them for a handsome profit. The testing shows that there is a serious possibility that the ore deposit at the recommended area could be open at depths far beyond the abilities of an artisinal miner.

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know how to timber a shaft properly? Do you have the ability to pump the shaft out if it fills with water?

If the ground is able to absorb and hold that much water, then it is a major concern.

The last thing on my mind right now would be digging an exploratory shaft. I would want more testing done to prove the resource then possibly team up with a company to extract the ore or just outright sell the claim to them for a handsome profit. The testing shows that there is a serious possibility that the ore deposit at the recommended area could be open at depths far beyond the abilities of an artisinal miner.

The answer to your first 2 questions is no.
However that is the job of the mine manager, possibly a mining engineer. Like I said in Zim unemployed experienced labor is abundant, both skilled and unskilled. That is the least of my worries. All I need is appreciation, I will leave the actual digging to those whose job will be to.

The artisanal miners in the area are digging beyond even 100 meters. Let me post some pictures of what the guys are doing nearby. I believe I can do better than that and use better mechanized methods of ore extraction.

I have set up a company that will employ the right people.

Buyers here tend to be more interested in mines that are already producing, and it is possible to still sell later if need be. There is a lot of untapped wealth underground here, you would be shocked.

neighbbours.JPG get 3.JPG getting in.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
p.s. What more testing would you do in my situation keeping in mind diamond core drilling is too expensive? The topsoil is contaminated as ore from the other miners is transported sometimes through the property.

Below is the ground site before it started raining.

View attachment 1423177

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to think diamond drilling could be done with less drill holes (= cheaper) if properly thought trough.
To my knowledge drilling probably is the best way to learn what you need to know.
There are other drilling possibilities, like RC drilling, which can be slightly cheaper.
Not sure if it'll do you any good though, they have some limitations. But if it works for your conditions, look into it.

It'd be nice if you think it through what you want/need to know to actually say; "OK, let's do the shaft" or the opposite.
Assay grades? Orebody size? Let it soak in for a while.
The 10 holes suggested by the geologist seem to me as a safe guard so he doesn't get blamed for anything later.
I was taught that every bore-hole should answer one question.
It's possible, however, that I underestimate the complexity of the local geology.

About the water, guessing the mudstone might be holding a lot of water, perhaps along with the overburden.
However, closer to the mineralized zones & whatever structures control the mineralization; it may look more chaotic.

If the topsoil is contaminated and you'd like to do some geochemical sampling:
You can dig a trench and test the soil, effectively removing contamination as much as possible.
I do however not think it'll help you answer what ever question you come up with.

By the looks of the magnetic surveys, yes, I'd also hang onto the claim a bit longer.
My gut is telling me there is more of interest there.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The answer to your first 2 questions is no.
However that is the job of the mine manager, possibly a mining engineer. Like I said in Zim unemployed experienced labor is abundant, both skilled and unskilled. That is the least of my worries. All I need is appreciation, I will leave the actual digging to those whose job will be to.

The artisanal miners in the area are digging beyond even 100 meters. Let me post some pictures of what the guys are doing nearby. I believe I can do better than that and use better mechanized methods of ore extraction.

I have set up a company that will employ the right people.

Buyers here tend to be more interested in mines that are already producing, and it is possible to still sell later if need be. There is a lot of untapped wealth underground here, you would be shocked.

View attachment 1423172 View attachment 1423173 View attachment 1423174

rios,

Please understand that I am not trying to dissuade you from your endeavor. You see, I am a hardrock miner. I do this everyday.

That collar actually scares the crap out of me. And if the rest of the mine is timbered like that, it is only a matter of time before tragedy strikes. I know how artisanal mining is done in Africa. I was supposed to go to Tenke Fungurume in the Congo to train the locals how to do this properly. But I had some medical problems come up.

The reason I say do further testing is the fact that if you can show smaller investors actual core samples and quite possibly a 3d mapping of the ore body, then they get an idea of what is there as far as how many tons of ore containing x amount of gold there is.

I know you want to get this going, but no amount of gold is worth doing something half a$$ed and getting one or more people killed.

If you can only do one core sample, then I would do it at the location recommended for the shaft and go as deep as you can afford.

Here's an idea. You said you have skilled labor available and it is only 8 meters to rock. Dig a big hole trough the mudstone at the proffered shat location with a 4:1 pitch to keep the sides from caving and see what is there. If there is enough to mine, you can always timber up from the rock to the surface and backfill around the timbering.

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to think diamond drilling could be done with less drill holes (= cheaper) if properly thought trough.
To my knowledge drilling probably is the best way to learn what you need to know.
There are other drilling possibilities, like RC drilling, which can be slightly cheaper.
Not sure if it'll do you any good though, they have some limitations. But if it works for your conditions, look into it.

It'd be nice if you think it through what you want/need to know to actually say; "OK, let's do the shaft" or the opposite.
Assay grades? Orebody size? Let it soak in for a while.
The 10 holes suggested by the geologist seem to me as a safe guard so he doesn't get blamed for anything later.
I was taught that every bore-hole should answer one question.
It's possible, however, that I underestimate the complexity of the local geology.

About the water, guessing the mudstone might be holding a lot of water, perhaps along with the overburden.
However, closer to the mineralized zones & whatever structures control the mineralization; it may look more chaotic.

If the topsoil is contaminated and you'd like to do some geochemical sampling:
You can dig a trench and test the soil, effectively removing contamination as much as possible.
I do however not think it'll help you answer what ever question you come up with.

By the looks of the magnetic surveys, yes, I'd also hang onto the claim a bit longer.
My gut is telling me there is more of interest there.

We agree diamond drilling would tell me what I need to know. Even when I don't do 10 holes the guys still charge $80/m plus what they call a demob (or something like that) fee of $4,000. The geologist yah recommended that we do the drilling which of course would mean more money into his pockets as he would be in charge of that.

Urrm that paragraph about water am not quite getting you. And what do you mean closer to mineralized zone it might be more chaotic?

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
rios,

Please understand that I am not trying to dissuade you from your endeavor. You see, I am a hardrock miner. I do this everyday.

That collar actually scares the crap out of me. And if the rest of the mine is timbered like that, it is only a matter of time before tragedy strikes. I know how artisanal mining is done in Africa. I was supposed to go to Tenke Fungurume in the Congo to train the locals how to do this properly. But I had some medical problems come up.

The reason I say do further testing is the fact that if you can show smaller investors actual core samples and quite possibly a 3d mapping of the ore body, then they get an idea of what is there as far as how many tons of ore containing x amount of gold there is.

I know you want to get this going, but no amount of gold is worth doing something half a$$ed and getting one or more people killed.

If you can only do one core sample, then I would do it at the location recommended for the shaft and go as deep as you can afford.

Here's an idea. You said you have skilled labor available and it is only 8 meters to rock. Dig a big hole trough the mudstone at the proffered shat location with a 4:1 pitch to keep the sides from caving and see what is there. If there is enough to mine, you can always timber up from the rock to the surface and backfill around the timbering.

That collar, yah, you are right. Actually 2 people died a month or so ago because of the type of mining the guys were doing in the area. check this link 2 mine workers die as ground caves in | The Chronicle The guys have actually been stopped from mining after the incident by the Mines Ministry. There was no timbering at all. The logs you see are just to hold the windlass in place.

Your suggestions make sense, I will have to consider them.

But the stubborn streak in me still wants to dig a shaft and foolhardy as it seems, do some kind of exploration by shaft digging. My problem still remains as things stand right now it would cost me more to diamond drill a 60m hole than to dig a 60m shaft.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We agree diamond drilling would tell me what I need to know. Even when I don't do 10 holes the guys still charge $80/m plus what they call a demob (or something like that) fee of $4,000. The geologist yah recommended that we do the drilling which of course would mean more money into his pockets as he would be in charge of that.

Urrm that paragraph about water am not quite getting you. And what do you mean closer to mineralized zone it might be more chaotic?

Yeah, I recognize the demob fee, but that is quite the hefty sum. Must be out in the middle of nowhere?
More or less the demob fee is a transportation fee, at least in my area.
80$/m is not to bad however, I would pay about the same here in Sweden.

Don't worry about the water, I was just thinking out loud, explaining perhaps why the ground can absorb so much water.

MM provides some sound advice. I was waiting for him to chime in.:occasion14:

Besides investors, having core samples can help sell the claim in the future.
Larger companies often have "libraries" of core which they log, analyze, interpret and so on. They may even help, in the future, to find more new deposits.
Australia offers several examples of core being re-examined and new finds made.

That's all I can say, other then listen to MM. He knows what he's talking about.

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I recognize the demob fee, but that is quite the hefty sum. Must be out in the middle of nowhere?
More or less the demob fee is a transportation fee, at least in my area.
80$/m is not to bad however, I would pay about the same here in Sweden.

Don't worry about the water, I was just thinking out loud, explaining perhaps why the ground can absorb so much water.

MM provides some sound advice. I was waiting for him to chime in.:occasion14:

Besides investors, having core samples can help sell the claim in the future.
Larger companies often have "libraries" of core which they log, analyze, interpret and so on. They may even help, in the future, to find more new deposits.
Australia offers several examples of core being re-examined and new finds made.

That's all I can say, other then listen to MM. He knows what he's talking about.

Nope, it is not far from town, where they come from with their rigs, it's actually 30km away with 25km being tarred road.

Will see the best way forward.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rios,

Not sure what you have available for timbers but here ya go. All about square set timbers.

https://www.amazon.com/Timbering-Small-Underground-Mines-Bureau/dp/1495349047

I know of mines that were square set over 125 years ago in unstable ground that are still there. Nice thing about square sets the more unstable the ground, the better square set timbers work. The ground pressure helps hold them together. And once you understand how to build them, they go together fast.

The main reason I was saying the bore hole in the preferred shaft location is to know how deep in goes. With square set, you could drive the shaft to the bottom of the ore body (or as deep as you dare) and mine from the bottom up by stoping out the entire ore body and backfill the square set with the gangue and tailings so you don't leave a mess behind.

Square set timbers can be built from the top down in a shaft, but it can get dicey and you better have a crew that knows what they are doing or the whole thing will drop in on your head. Do a double set in the shaft and you then have a manway/ventilation shaft and an ore bucket.

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Its all good hey, I will work with that and see how it goes. The timbering will definitely need the right people.

OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
20170318_140632_crop_540x319.jpg
20170318_141736_crop_540x391.jpg
20170318_141646-1024x1024.jpg
20170318_142202-1024x1024.jpg

North east of where i intend to mine, 50m away these guys have started sinking a shaft. They are 8m deep now. And the 1st meter was mudstone, then next after that were the rocks in the order of the above pictures. They havent met competent rocks and so far they have just been using picks and shovels
. The guys are digging 50 maybe 100m from my claim, not on my claim. I am not sure how the selected the particular spot marked with a yellow X in the picture
20170320_014002.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope they have life insurance. That looks like a tomb they're digging.

Believe you me, this Is quite normal with artisanal miners here. Few collar their mines. The thing is it's do or die, and they choose to do.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rios

19 hours ago

I am starting a new gold mining project in Zimbabwe. I have contacted a Geologist and Geophysicist who did a Magnetic Survey on the target area. He also did a Resistivity and I.P. Survey. No other method was used and one has to dig 8 meters into mudstone to get to rocks of any kind as there are no out-crops. There are people mining near the area and his interpretations were also based on information he got from shafts dug by the other people nearby.

He tells me to be more sure it would be prudent to diamond-core-drill ten 60 meter holes along the target area which would cost US$48,000 at US$80/meter.

If I sink one 60-meter shaft in one of the positions identified by the surveys, it would cost me less than $20,000 to do so including buying the equipment and paying laborers.

As an artisanal miner would it not make sense for me just sink a shaft and hope, because generally, people mining within 200-meter radius of this area are getting very high yields of gold, more than 100g/ton sometimes? The hope would be the reef is basically the same as it is the same greenstone belt.

I have attached a report with pictures and diagrams that further explain the results. How much can I rely on the three methods of survey results?

If you can trust me with the location information I can see what I can do with multi-spectral mapping. I'm no pro, but I have made some usable maps. PM if interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread