Two more videos from my mine

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
My gf watched it tonight, started laughing her butt off, and said, "I sound like the world's biggest *****."

Read the published info stuff too to see what is going on.

Second one, from about 350-300' showing the limonite vein running along the spine.

Like I mention in the comments, this vein could run to the pit based on the trend of the final 170' or so. Very interesting.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to what i could look at in the little spare time I've had recently that area is going to be highly pocketized. Things are starting to get wrapped up here so I'll have more time soon.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I see it in the adit too. Just like you said, we might pop a round off and hit a hot little paystreak.

Oh, friend on FB noticed this...There are four "r" on the rocks used in the gobbing. I can see two, not sure where the other ones are hiding.

four r.jpg

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it was me, I would be grabbing some sample bags/sand bags and chip channel sampling those veins at 6' sections. A simple pick hammer or cold chisel w/ drilling hammer will work. I would get some orange spray paint and mark and label the sections at the foot level or whatever you like. Obviously in your setting GPS coordinates won't work since you are underground and thus using the foot depth in that adit would be more logical. Use the same numbers to label your bag and/or to put a sample number on a card and put it in the bag. Then send it off for fire assay so you know what that stuff runs before spending a lot money on buying more equipment. I agree it looks really good and you may have some serious values in those contact zones of +10g/t or more. However, speaking from experience, I have seen gold values really vary in hard rock wildly and just because it ran 10' to the left at 50g/t does not mean that it is uniform and will run at the same values. I have seen 200g/t and then 1g/t within the same vein 10' apart.

About the rock, I know you mentioned it is andesite that is in the middle of the two veins in this setting but what is the country rock here that it is intruding into? Most of my experience is in intrusive rock (porphyry granitic type rocks) that are intruding in greenstone terrains. I am curious if your veins are bounded by some non igneous rocks there and it is more like a skarn deposit.

Have you been able to see any visual gold at all with any samples yet? Do you have a hand lens that you can check out your samples with? It will be worth your time to get one I think. It takes practice to master how to use it.

At any rate thanks for sharing your finds and good luck to you! I have commented on some of your youtube videos but I figured I would write this up here for people that may appreciate it.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was me, I would be grabbing some sample bags/sand bags and chip channel sampling those veins at 6' sections. A simple pick hammer or cold chisel w/ drilling hammer will work. I would get some orange spray paint and mark and label the sections at the foot level or whatever you like. Obviously in your setting GPS coordinates won't work since you are underground and thus using the foot depth in that adit would be more logical. Use the same numbers to label your bag and/or to put a sample number on a card and put it in the bag. Then send it off for fire assay so you know what that stuff runs before spending a lot money on buying more equipment. I agree it looks really good and you may have some serious values in those contact zones of +10g/t or more. However, speaking from experience, I have seen gold values really vary in hard rock wildly and just because it ran 10' to the left at 50g/t does not mean that it is uniform and will run at the same values. I have seen 200g/t and then 1g/t within the same vein 10' apart.

I hadn't planned on sampling that close together down the system, but I will follow the advice of those that know better. I've got the entire length of it marked every 25' so getting samples on an interval will be dang easy. DeWalt makes heavy duty, well they're crayons that are great for marking steel and rock. Lowe's sells good sandbags for less than sixty cents each.

There are some really interesting isolated pockets in there as well.

About the rock, I know you mentioned it is andesite that is in the middle of the two veins in this setting but what is the country rock here that it is intruding into? Most of my experience is in intrusive rock (porphyry granitic type rocks) that are intruding in greenstone terrains. I am curious if your veins are bounded by some non igneous rocks there and it is more like a skarn deposit.

The country rock varies across that hillside from andesite/rhyolite to eroded pegmatite that's pretty heavy in feldspar. If the last 170' trend goes to the GMM Pit, it will cut some schist layers as well. There's a small shaft about 800' away from the adit portal that I've taken a look at. There the quartz vein is about 12"-24" wide and intrudes directly into the pegmatite. They cribbed the shaft all the way down, which is about 45' I expect. I haven't been down into it yet.

If you take a look at the "Exploring Copper and Gold Contact Zones" video, you'll be able to see what the geology has to offer there. Minus the metamorphics, the country rock is the same to the north where the adit runs.

We have found good amounts of peridotite around this claim as well. There's good wulfenite to the south about a quarter mile, but you know how that is, a quarter mile is like a 1000 miles sometimes when it comes to shifting geology.

Have you been able to see any visual gold at all with any samples yet? Do you have a hand lens that you can check out your samples with? It will be worth your time to get one I think. It takes practice to master how to use it.

I've got a hand lens. I only brought back a few samples the first time I was out there three weeks ago and one could have visible gold. I didn't pick up anything this time around as sampling is on the itinerary for next weekend.

I do know that at the GMM Pit there's free gold in the dirt that's washed into it from the small area that drains into the pit.

What is interesting, and I haven't commented on this much at all yet, is the geochem. Three weeks ago I high centered the ATV in the wash that my claim borders to the north while getting it turned around. I had to dig out some rock from under it. 8-10" down, garlic. My girlfriend who was standing, oh, about 10' away behind the trailer asked about the smell coming from that small hole. Stopped a few hundred feet away, dug down about 2', faint garlic. The pit itself is heavy with garlic, you have to stop digging after about 3' into it to let the odor dissipate if you're not wearing a respirator with solvent grade filters. Lots of arsenic in that area and the gradient is somewhat easy to trace.

At any rate thanks for sharing your finds and good luck to you! I have commented on some of your youtube videos but I figured I would write this up here for people that may appreciate it.

Appreciate it. Which person are you on there, or just PM me here?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoyed the vids. Watched the green mine pit, to. Looks like a lot of faulting going on there.
Loved to see how easy the lithology changes were visible, to.

Some of the pocketed sulphides might be due to faulting moving the gold-bearing layers around a bit, I'd imagine.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There area SaltwaterServr is in is basin and rift geology. That's why it is so variable. Combined with past volcanic and hydrothermal activity in that area, the best bet is going to be to chase the fault lines.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There area SaltwaterServr is in is basin and rift geology. That's why it is so variable. Combined with past volcanic and hydrothermal activity in that area, the best bet is going to be to chase the fault lines.

I see. Hunting the faults makes sense, as well as checking the contact zones.
If there's good gold in both, he's gonna be busy, and chasing the faults might find him some "moved" fragments of the contacts to.
Oh, I love the puzzle of geology.

SaltwaterServr,
The ridges you mentioned on one of the fault surfaces can indeed be used to get a feel for which direction the fault moved.
Keep a look out for slickenlines & Styolites. They are alternative ways a fault can reveal themselves.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I see. Hunting the faults makes sense, as well as checking the contact zones.
If there's good gold in both, he's gonna be busy, and chasing the faults might find him some "moved" fragments of the contacts to.
Oh, I love the puzzle of geology.

SaltwaterServr,
The ridges you mentioned on one of the fault surfaces can indeed be used to get a feel for which direction the fault moved.
Keep a look out for slickenlines & Styolites. They are alternative ways a fault can reveal themselves.

I'm dang curious what's going on at the face of the mine. You've got the shift of the vein in the back towards the hanging wall about 2-3', you can see the dip of the vein in the face is at about 75 degrees. Then you can see the gap in the sill of the mine that is tight with the hanging wall. I've never seen a gap like that before. Then at around 1:12 you have the horizontal fault line that seems to dip towards the face that has really good mineralization. It looks like they were doing something in that alcove too.

There's a lot to be looked at for sure this coming weekend.

There's also a spot in the original video I have from three weeks ago that has some soft ground in it, not sure of the correct term but it feels like soft limestone. Megan pulled a small piece off the side and it's heavily mineralized with copper. For some reason it sticks in my head that the mine shifts direction there so it might be where the two faults intersected. They went to the east following the vein that possibly intersects with the GMM Pit, and left the vein that outcrops behind.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SaltwaterServr, it's really great of you to share all this with us and let us experience it through your eyes. Keep it up please!
-Brian.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Something's bugging me. Go to where the video picks up the pocket near the sill, at about 12:02, and when I get around that corner. Around that corner you have perfectly defined footwalls and hanging walls, both of which are smooth. Now back up again to 12:02. That pocket is behind the face of the hanging wall.

Either this is a fault that slicked up the sides and there's additional mineralization behind it, or it staggers every so often. When it staggers, it pushes a few feet in the direction of the hanging wall, like it did in the very first video in the first post of this thread where the vein in the back jumps from the hanging wall side to the middle of the adit.

That might be why the lost the vein in one spot and switched to running the vein that I think runs to the GMM Pit.

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm dang curious what's going on at the face of the mine. You've got the shift of the vein in the back towards the hanging wall about 2-3', you can see the dip of the vein in the face is at about 75 degrees. Then you can see the gap in the sill of the mine that is tight with the hanging wall. I've never seen a gap like that before. Then at around 1:12 you have the horizontal fault line that seems to dip towards the face that has really good mineralization. It looks like they were doing something in that alcove too.

There's a lot to be looked at for sure this coming weekend.

There's also a spot in the original video I have from three weeks ago that has some soft ground in it, not sure of the correct term but it feels like soft limestone. Megan pulled a small piece off the side and it's heavily mineralized with copper. For some reason it sticks in my head that the mine shifts direction there so it might be where the two faults intersected. They went to the east following the vein that possibly intersects with the GMM Pit, and left the vein that outcrops behind.

I hear ya, see the first vid in this thread. At about 0.35 you see something in the "roof" of the mine, near the place where the vein stops.
Note how the thing in the roof also looks "cut off".

The soft stuff you're referring to might be fault gouge.

Good luck this weekend! I'm officially out of duty this weekend...Snow...:BangHead:
If I'm lucky, perhaps I can work a bit on my assay lab, given if all the parts arrive that I need.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gf watched it tonight, started laughing her butt off, and said, "I sound like the world's biggest *****."

Like I mention in the comments, this vein could run to the pit based on the trend of the final 170' or so. Very interesting.

Tell your girlfriend not to be so hard on herself. You are lucky to have such a supportive partner. I can not get my wife to go underground with me, so I envy your situation.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell your girlfriend no to be so hard on herself. You are lucky to have such a supportive partner. I can not get my wife to go underground with me, so I envy your situation.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

GG~

Appreciate it hoss.

She's a unique one, that's for sure. Majored in Earth Sciences with an emphasis on planetary geology. Her undergrad thesis was on the role of serpentine minerals in the tidal movement of one of the moons of Mars. And she's a retired (at 30) fitness model.

I figure I like watching the videos of mining and prospecting to learn from them. Maybe some kiddos will come across them and get enamored with going underground like I did when I read about the Lost Dutchman 30+ years ago.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a unique one, that's for sure. Majored in Earth Sciences with an emphasis on planetary geology. Her undergrad thesis was on the role of serpentine minerals in the tidal movement of one of the moons of Mars. And she's a retired (at 30) fitness model.

Impressive credentials!.....Brains and good looks, perhaps next time you could feature her more in the video's
She could do the commentary while you operate the camera. :tongue3:

Either way you've got the gold my friend. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Turns out the lettering on the gobbing is just random bat crap.

There is some crazy geology going on between the 200 and 275' marks. I ran across a copper mineral I've never seen before. Didn't take samples today, I was more working to get the dead javelina carcasses out and some of the turds shoveled out of the winze.

I'll have video and photos next week.

The candle box from the first discovery has lettering on both sides. It's from the Mission Soap and Candle Works, San Francisco CA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread