The Story of How i Got Into Mining

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a 1000 square meter residential stand in Bulawayo sometime in 2015. The Civil Engineer who helped me clear the place of trees told me that the type of rocks on the property could be carrying gold bearing veins. I took pieces of the rocks for assay and the results were promising. (See picture below for grades per tonne). Unfortunately one cannot mine on residential stands here.

Now it turns out there are old mine workings nearby and there is a mine called Old Nickel also and it probably owns the mineral rights in the area.

It motivated me to take an interest in finding out more about gold as my country is basically rich with all sorts of minerals all over. Bulawayo is generally a gold bearing town, there is what is called the Bulawayan Greenstone belt. So it runs even under my house and I sleep on gold ore that I cannot touch and spend my days on a desk job.

It struck a cord of discontent in me that has brought me to the point of now being about to dig my 1st shaft 30 km from town where, with the necessary paperwork, one is allowed to mine. Initially I had bought a GPX 5000 which I ended up selling because I just did not have the time to walk around in the bush detecting, worse still neither did I have the patience.
assay samples.JPG
Samples from stand.png

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Rios.

Not sure what those numbers mean by your ore, but I do know how you feel about mining.
All the best to you in your endeavors and keep us posted on your success.

Remember patience is a virtue and would serve you well in all that you do.

Zimbabwe: About 60% of the country’s land is said to comprise of ancient rocks renowned worldwide for hosting rich varieties of mineral resources including gold, base metals (e.g. Nickel ,Copper ,Zinc and lead) and industrial minerals (limestone, Phosphates ,Clay and Dolomites) Zimbabwe has got the second largest deposits of platinum in the world.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing Rios.

Not sure what those numbers mean by your ore, but I do know how you feel about mining.
All the best to you in your endeavors and keep us posted on your success.

Remember patience is a virtue and would serve you well in all that you do.

Zimbabwe: About 60% of the country’s land is said to comprise of ancient rocks renowned worldwide for hosting rich varieties of mineral resources including gold, base metals (e.g. Nickel ,Copper ,Zinc and lead) and industrial minerals (limestone, Phosphates ,Clay and Dolomites) Zimbabwe has got the second largest deposits of platinum in the world.

GG~

The numbers meant grams per ton, grams of gold content.

You are right about patience, I have come to realize that especially since on Sunday we tried to visit the claim and our cars managed to sink. Lucky enough we had some boys that then pushed us out and we turned back and decided to wait for the rains to stop.

Yah Zim is blessed with rich ore, though not so blessed with ...... I wont say
Uturn.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers meant grams per ton, grams of gold content.

You are right about patience, I have come to realize that especially since on Sunday we tried to visit the claim and our cars managed to sink. Lucky enough we had some boys that then pushed us out and we turned back and decided to wait for the rains to stop.

Yah Zim is blessed with rich ore, though not so blessed with ...... I wont say

You have a nice car and I applaud you for even attempting to navigate the mud in that vehicle. I have grown to depend on my Jeep with 4 wheel drive and high ground clearance but even then mud is still a real challenge and I have had to use my winch and high lift jack on more than one occasion.

Those values of 7+ grams per ton are awesome :icon_thumright:
How are you planning on crushing your ore?

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a nice car and I applaud you for even attempting to navigate the mud in that vehicle. I have grown to depend on my Jeep with 4 wheel drive and high ground clearance but even then mud is still a real challenge and I have had to use my winch and high lift jack on more than one occasion.

Those values of 7+ grams per ton are awesome :icon_thumright:
How are you planning on crushing your ore?

GG~[/QUOTE

The 7g/ton ore is just a motivational reminder of the presence of gold everywhere here. I cant mine on a residential stand.

At my claim I plan to initially take the gold to 2 places, I haven't decided which place is best. But over the long run if production is good I will set up own processing plant nearby.

I know it means losing out on more than 50% of the gold but for starters, it is what it is.

The two places are below
part of chinese.png
Chinese mill.jpg
Chinese mill.png
local 3 stanmp mill.png

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!
I recognize the knudsen bowls in the first photo and the stamp mill in the last photo but have no experience with the mills with the large wheels in the other photos,
some sort of roll crushers I assume, very interesting.

Suppose I should have asked how you are planning to extract the ore from your mine. And if it is open pit or underground.
I'm guessing open pit. Are you planning on renting heavy equipment?

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rios

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!
I recognize the knudsen bowls in the first photo and the stamp mill in the last photo but have no experience with the mills with the large wheels in the other photos,
some sort of roll crushers I assume, very interesting.

Suppose I should have asked how you are planning to extract the ore from your mine. And if it is open pit or underground.
I'm guessing open pit. Are you planning on renting heavy equipment?

GG~

Oh my bad, i got you wrong. Its through underground mining i.e. shafts and drives. Its not big scale mining so it wont be heavy equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread