I think i found a precious Opal

viliam26

Mar 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beginer in this gem hunting, and i thnk i found a precious opal near my home town.im living in small meditrenian country, near Greece. So can you please tell me is this precious opal. Ive watched it under light and magnifging glass and it sparcles ornge and green and little blue colors on some spots. size of the stone is aproximately around 2.20x 1.50 cm in Eu size Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20160319_180203.jpg
    IMG_20160319_180203.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 197

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have no idea if that is Opal, but did want to welcome you
to the site...:hello:

There is also a "Rocks/Gems" forum under the Geological Forums tab.
You might have better luck there.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The nearest opal deposit in the Mediterranean area is in Slovakia according to the following link. Opal Deposits Around the Globe.

I have no idea what you have but good luck.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like decomposed quartz that has been tumbled in a waterway to me.

GG~

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goody is right, of course.

OP
OP
V

viliam26

Mar 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your quick relplys, i found many quartz type of rocks but this one is lighter in waight, its shines diferently and the one that is closes to mine is etiopian yellow opal, i think. the place where i found this peace, i heard there was a lake long time ago, milions of years, big one. Now it istotaly dried of course. So thats why i asumed it is an precious Opal, and i still think it is..

OP
OP
V

viliam26

Mar 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have mines 20 miles from my home town and there is a gold found there, it is a lead and zinc mine actualy.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your quick relplys, i found many quartz type of rocks but this one is lighter in waight, its shines diferently and the one that is closes to mine is etiopian yellow opal, i think. the place where i found this peace, i heard there was a lake long time ago, milions of years, big one. Now it istotaly dried of course. So thats why i asumed it is an precious Opal, and i still think it is..

attachment.php

I think you could be right. Definitely appears to have a bit of fire in it. :icon_thumright:
Would not be the first time I was fooled by a photograph. :tongue3:

My advice would be to take it to an expert for a hands on identification.

GG~

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ethiopia is noted for opal production so what you have may be one. Gem dealers can confirm that. Nice find if it is.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, if you want to know for certain Opal is quite easy to ID.
First of all, it has a glassy luster. Second, it will be scratched by quartz. (check under magnification, 10x)
If still uncertain, a specific gravity test is recommended.

Here's an example of a Ethiopian opal:

I've worked professionally as a gemstone cutter/ lapidary artist and I'm 99.9% sure it isn't a precious opal.
The iridescent look is very likely the result of the cracks/fractures breaking the light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread