I got something weird happening. Floating metallics like it's the new in thing.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I attempted to pan out a two pound sample today using Keith Bowen's method via his Hard Rock University channel on Youtube, episode #24.

Problem. I did exactly what he said, using the Dawn dish soap too, and still had a ton of metallics floating in it.

I'm guessing I over-milled the ore and now it's floating the arsenopyrite. My entire patio smells like garlic right now. A sample of this stuff is going to the assayer this week to find out what I've got going on in there.

For those following along at home, this sample came from the Green Mountain Pit, which is where I think the new adit vein system outcrops. I would've been up there this weekend to grab samples, but I've got a dying fuel pump on the truck that decided it needs some attention. Next weekend I'll be up there Saturday and Sunday both.

A few photos of the ore floating:

metallics.jpg

All of that to the right of the pile is floating on water.

metallics 2.jpg

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always use JetDry to make sure this doesn't happen. If I still see it after JetDry has been applied to the tub I am panning in, it is usually just mica that is floating around like that. Mica is annoying but usually easy to spot because it still floats when you have surfactants in the mix. If you get a piece of that floating material, see if it bends like mica. White mica(Muscovite) has fooled me before because it is so reflective until you look closer. I have seen similar groups of it like you show in the picture.

Sorry to hear about the truck keeping you from getting those samples. I am hoping you are able to get out to the mine to take those samples this weekend! I am excited to see what that ore runs via fire assay!

BTW are you wearing a mask when you grind that ore? Make sure you aren't inhaling that arseno dust or the silicates either!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I always use JetDry to make sure this doesn't happen. If I still see it after JetDry has been applied to the tub I am panning in, it is usually just mica that is floating around like that. Mica is annoying but usually easy to spot because it still floats when you have surfactants in the mix. If you get a piece of that floating material, see if it bends like mica. White mica(Muscovite) has fooled me before because it is so reflective until you look closer. I have seen similar groups of it like you show in the picture.

Sorry to hear about the truck keeping you from getting those samples. I am hoping you are able to get out to the mine to take those samples this weekend! I am excited to see what that ore runs via fire assay!

BTW are you wearing a mask when you grind that ore? Make sure you aren't inhaling that arseno dust or the silicates either!

For sure it's not mica. Here's a picture of it under 60x magnification. I forget the proper geology term for it, but i think it's monoclinic crystal structure can be seen in larger pieces than this that didn't get crushed. Plus, the globular piece I have on my desk in front of me cuts a notch in my thumbnail when I try to scratch it.

arseno.jpg

I'm hoping its a simple fix for the truck, at least to keep it running for another 12 months. After that its gone.

I wear a half-face 3M respirator with particulate and volatile chemical filters in it. Plus the output for the vacuum system I use on the crusher is well down wind from me.

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you have it covered and yes that is for sure not mica. Sorry. :) What are you taking that picture with there? Dinolite? I have my old dslr camera setup with a reversing adapter and telephoto lens to act as a microscope. I love microphotography like that, cool picture. I need to post some of my pictures one of these days and share.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you have it covered and yes that is for sure not mica. Sorry. :) What are you taking that picture with there? Dinolite? I have my old dslr camera setup with a reversing adapter and telephoto lens to act as a microscope. I love microphotography like that, cool picture. I need to post some of my pictures one of these days and share.

Taken with some $9 cheapy thing off of Amazon that clips to my phone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread