What to consider when I first start into the hill chasing a vein?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this vein over the winter. I took a small sample not knowing what it was for sure. I roasted 4 grams with an oxidizer and then in charcoal. It yielded 8 small colors from that sample. I'm not too sure , but that seams pretty rich to me. I am figuring on concentrating down a bucket of this material and then taking it home for a good smelt.

Now, I know the portals of mines is the most dangerous part and the most likely to collapse. The only mine accident I know of in my area was when the hill above a portal gave way trapping 3 miners inside in the 1930's. All perished. In fact that mine is caved to this day and still buried.

So beyond common sense is there any specific precautions I should take when I first start into the hillside? Things to watch for etc?
I won't be doing any blasting, just pick and shovel. Basically just chase the vein a few feet and see if it's worth my time.

DSCN4604a.jpg

DSCN46042a.jpg

ore1.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knock down all loose material from above before you start to dig.
Always be on the lookout for widow makers from above.
Keep your portal well above the water line just in case you decide to tunnel.

GG~

Last edited:

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes run that water away and around from where you might dig, Some one miles down stream is testing the water on a daily basis and will notice if there is any change.
use some lime stone to keep the acid in the ore from leaching the bad metals out and into that water. you should test the water now so you have a base line and can latter prove your not doing any thing on your claim that is changeing the water. a heavy plastic tarp like the ones used in leach ponds between your digings and the water would do great to stop your inadvertant leaching from getting into that stream in the picture. better yet poor a concreat pad so you have a dry place to stand and it can help keep the water off of the vein. you might even improve the water quality. and Id pan that spot for sure . And if any one wants to know what your doing your prospecting. good luck and a good find (90% of hard rock mining has nothing to do with removing ore from the earth) Bryan In Denver Colorado

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dig higher up and see if you can catch the vein above and away from the water. Doesn't look like too much soil for one man to move with hand tools. what's the legality of dropping the overburden into the creek and letting the spring thaw wash it away?

Last edited:

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i wish you all the luck my friend!!!

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Any color while sampling a quartz vein is worth following.Make sure the hillside dosen't collapse on you.A pick and shovel will only take you so far in or down.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ragnor,

If your onlyy going a few feet, scale the hill side above you for loose material and keep your head on a swivel. If you decide to go further, we'll talk more then as it can get complicated real fast.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this vein over the winter. I took a small sample not knowing what it was for sure. I roasted 4 grams with an oxidizer and then in charcoal. It yielded 8 small colors from that sample. I'm not too sure , but that seams pretty rich to me. I am figuring on concentrating down a bucket of this material and then taking it home for a good smelt.

Now, I know the portals of mines is the most dangerous part and the most likely to collapse. The only mine accident I know of in my area was when the hill above a portal gave way trapping 3 miners inside in the 1930's. All perished. In fact that mine is caved to this day and still buried.

So beyond common sense is there any specific precautions I should take when I first start into the hillside? Things to watch for etc?
I won't be doing any blasting, just pick and shovel. Basically just chase the vein a few feet and see if it's worth my time.

View attachment 1435142

View attachment 1435143

View attachment 1435150

Looks like the rock has been folded over... i'd be more interested in whatever larger structure its connected to personally

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the rock has been folded over... i'd be more interested in whatever larger structure its connected to personally

There is a large porphyry copper deposit to the south and west. Primary gold veins to the north and east. This particular area is mostly small gold bearing accessory veins that crop up here and there from what I have read. The body that this is attached to is a supposedly a 50 mile wide 300 mile long pluton at depth 700-800 feet. That was the story I got when I talked to 'Matt' from Idaho general mining some years ago. I don't ever really expect to get into anything like that. I'm just out poking holes trying to find a way to make myself a living. I have found an extension of the alteration zone a fair distance away. But at that location the material was very disseminated in the host rock. I have not yet found an outcrop at the second location. There was however some free gold present and I expect I might be able to locate it with enough foot work. .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread