Small Hammer Mills?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've decided to take my sampling to the next level and buy a hammer mill. I see there is quite a difference in price $1,500 ish for a K&M, or $5000 ish for the Global mining "gold stryker". I'm sure the price dose reflect quality here so am tempted to just shell it out. But just being a prospector and not a mine owner, I need to consider the appropriate investment level for my new "toy". Question? Any one know these machines? Is the K&M total junk? I want to crush several five gallon buckets in an afternoon, don't need a tones per hour unit. Any suggestions? Thanks

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
get a jaw crusher. and a ball mill . you will be happy with the results and the jaw crusher is relativly quiet.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I've decided to take my sampling to the next level and buy a hammer mill. I see there is quite a difference in price $1,500 ish for a K&M, or $5000 ish for the Global mining "gold stryker". I'm sure the price dose reflect quality here so am tempted to just shell it out. But just being a prospector and not a mine owner, I need to consider the appropriate investment level for my new "toy". Question? Any one know these machines? Is the K&M total junk? I want to crush several five gallon buckets in an afternoon, don't need a tones per hour unit. Any suggestions? Thanks

What are you using now?

I think K&M's are direct drive units which means your engine is absorbing the energy as the flails impact the ore. Recipe for a quickly worn out machine.

GM's machines are belt drive so the belt will slip as the shaft slows during a rock strike.

That said, I wouldn't buy either. I bought mine for $500 on craiglist, tossed the old engine, dropped a 420cc Predator on it, new paint, new bearings, new chains, and was still under $1,000.00.

I only recommend going that route if you need a portable unit to take with you in the field. Otherwise, there are better options.

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input guys. All I have now is a mortar and pestle. I did not consider the direct drive vs belt thing. I saw here on Tnet, a cement mixer used as a ball mill. Portability dose matter, as I plan on crushing in the feild, not my parents back yard.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys. All I have now is a mortar and pestle. I did not consider the direct drive vs belt thing. I saw here on Tnet, a cement mixer used as a ball mill. Portability dose matter, as I plan on crushing in the feild, not my parents back yard.

If you are using a mortar and pestal now, you can up your production quite a bit for not a whole lot of money.. My first crusher was a tube, a rod, and a flat
piece of steel. Its not motorized fast, but I know its a heck of a lot faster than a mortar and pestal. Have to rerun some of the big stuff after screening, but
a moderate handfull of rocks to powder in maybe 3 passes.. A few minutes total.. Tube is 3.25 OD, 2.5 ID, rod is 2" diameter, a little over a foot long.. The
flat plate (which now has a pocket milled in it) is 6x6 an inch thick.. its what I used because its what I had, and its what I picked up first that happened to fit
together.

15776426265_9cf8c97620_c.jpg

15777980712_75f8d89d5e_c.jpg

Edit: I think I've got the tube size wrong.. its more than a 3/8" wall.. Either way, a 2 inch rod fits in it. And its not the
size of it that is important, its the concept.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
But a K&M, then make it a belt-drive to save on the motor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread