Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Looks interesting. Have you crushed up any of the rock yet to pan? Could be the start of a good find?
May not hurt to run a pin pointer type of metal detector over the rock samples.

OP
OP
B

BBM610

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never panned for gold. It is from an abandoned mine that I have claimed in Nevada. The shaft is 60 feet at 45 degrees. I dug a foot into the dirt from the front at 45 degrees from the opposite side. If there is 60 more feet of this rock I would be quite happy. It is a gold mine and it is interesting quartz rock. We shall see. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BBM610

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically picture a capital letter V. The shaft is the left half down to the point at the bottom. These are from the top right of the letter V.

OP
OP
B

BBM610

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been abandoned for 35 years. I am hopeful!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
If you can get a hold of someones 4 - 5 inch coil on a older gold detector you may want to try running this coil over some of the different mineral zones in the rocks to see what one can pick up. Best to also crush different mineral zone rocks and pan out to see the finer gold to help get a idea of how much 'Free milling gold' there may be. Finding someone at a local club that has a impact mill as well as a gold cube may also help. One can also go down to a hardware store to make a pipe stamp mill for crushing small rocks. Hope you are on to a good find there.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
If you can get a hold of someones 4 - 5 inch coil on a older gold detector you may want to try running this coil over some of the different mineral zones in the rocks to see what one can pick up. Best to also crush different mineral zone rocks and pan out to see the finer gold to help get a idea of how much 'Free milling gold' there may be. Finding someone at a local club that has a impact mill as well as a gold cube may also help. One can also go down to a hardware store to make a pipe stamp mill for crushing small rocks. Hope you are on to a good find there.
You say you have maybe up to 60 ft. of this type of rock. If you can 'Highgrade' with different types of metal detectors this 60 ft. of rock then crush any of this rock that has any interesting signals you may cut down on your 'Prospecting time' and have a good claim there. The gold may all be very fine in size? The real test is how much per ton on your 'Highgrade' is free milling?
Maybe a lot of the gold is 'Lockup' with sulfides or other minerals? Crushing and test panning should give you some idea here.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You say you have maybe up to 60 ft. of this type of rock. If you can 'Highgrade' with different types of metal detectors this 60 ft. of rock then crush any of this rock that has any interesting signals you may cut down on your 'Prospecting time' and have a good claim there. The gold may all be very fine in size? The real test is how much per ton on your 'Highgrade' is free milling?
Maybe a lot of the gold is 'Lockup' with sulfides or other minerals? Crushing and test panning should give you some idea here.
Forgot to ask the basic question have you seen any gold yet in the rocks?

OP
OP
B

BBM610

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. There is some visible gold. At least the color is right. The pieces are very small and not like nuggets or flakes...more like dust. I tried with a pinpointer at the mine and did not get much of any signal. Though, I am a newbie; it looks like what I have seen described as oxidized gold ore from Nevada. I am fairly colorblind too. Does gold ever occur as powder in or on rocks? There are not any mining clubs on the East Coast. I live near Boston. Its my hobby. I do own 40 acres for camping three hours from my claim. Could the red/yellow flakes contain pyrite and gold? I have no idea. Its the whole 10 feet above the adit from the front/top on a downward slope. The shaft look like its on the back of a sand dune at the beach. This sample is from the front. I am guessing I could dig or have someone blast it. It is definitely hard to crush by hand. Panning is definitely new to me. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BBM610

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I got from crushing a pound of the rocks.
It is unenhanced indoor lighting. 20170717_205749.jpg

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is what I got from crushing a pound of the rocks.
It is unenhanced indoor lighting. View attachment 1473620
Time to pan to see what you may have. Gold will hammer out flat say on a piece of steel. This does not look like gold, however there may be some small gold in there after panning. Go take a look at some of the great gold panning videos under gold panning.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to fire up the Google Machine and do some research... No point in starting from scratch when most of the basic leg work has already been done,
written up in report form and posted online.

USGS is not a bad place to start, and then get some historic mine names and mining companies and start researching those... If some company in the recent past has
tried firing up a mine in the area, there are going to be papers and reports on that.. The things in those papers can lead you to better understand what you have, and
how to put it in your pocket.

And learn how to pan... It all starts in the pan and ends in the pan... Nothing wrong with buying paydirt... Sometimes you can even buy "ore", I've got a box over
here I bought on e-bay.. If I run out of my own dirt and rocks and I need a fix, I'll crush some of it up and cool down the gold fever a little.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time to fire up the Google Machine and do some research... No point in starting from scratch when most of the basic leg work has already been done,
written up in report form and posted online.

USGS is not a bad place to start, and then get some historic mine names and mining companies and start researching those... If some company in the recent past has
tried firing up a mine in the area, there are going to be papers and reports on that.. The things in those papers can lead you to better understand what you have, and
how to put it in your pocket.

And learn how to pan... It all starts in the pan and ends in the pan... Nothing wrong with buying paydirt... Sometimes you can even buy "ore", I've got a box over
here I bought on e-bay.. If I run out of my own dirt and rocks and I need a fix, I'll crush some of it up and cool down the gold fever a little.
Very good tips. Thank you.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USGS is not a bad place to start, and then get some historic mine names and mining companies and start researching those...

I need to amend that advice... I was just messing around on Landmatters.. There is some new stuff over on the right hand side.
of the claim maps... All that old mine stuff pops on Landmatters now... Sweet. MUCH MUCH EASIER...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread