OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello
This one is guessing that most of the rock values are to small be picked up by a metal detector except maybe a falcon type pin pointer metal detector. Do you just break open the rocks looking with your eyes for the fine values as you dig? How big are your batch samples that you crush?
Thank you.
Very tiny values, I try to use my miners lens as much as I can saves having to crush n pan my samples if I see it no need to crush, just saves time and is good habit for prospector to get into.

Anyways it takes approx six or so hours to grind a 300lb charge.

Most times it only requires a couple pieces of vein material to make a determination of values, these I always crush n pan, unless I see values with my lens then I just dig.

Gt

Gt.
Good plan to bring home just the values to crush. Not many people out there can say they use mill stones to fine crush there ore today. Back a number of years ago used to be common practice.
Is a normal grind section say one day or does it take longer to grind into fines?
This one remembers tumbling rocks to polish lasted weeks to get to a good shine with different grits sizes.

Sent from my VS425PP using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very tiny values, I try to use my miners lens as much as I can saves having to crush n pan my samples if I see it no need to crush, just saves time and is good habit for prospector to get into.

Anyways it takes approx six or so hours to grind a 300lb charge.

Most times it only requires a couple pieces of vein material to make a determination of values, these I always crush n pan, unless I see values with my lens then I just dig.

Gt

Gt.

Ok now have a better idea of the sample charge as well as how you go about determining the values of the rock. Yes the people in the past could only use there eyes (with the aid of the lens) to help count the values in the rock.
Some people today will also use the aid of say a falcon type metal detector as well to help count the values in the rock sample (slow however can be faster then one's eyes for just counting up the number of 'Hits'). This can help one to decide to grind and process the rest of the charge or maybe to dig more of the vein material in prospecting.
There is still no better way to find how much values per ton then to sample up to a ton of rock / dirt and your system will do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok now have a better idea of the sample charge as well as how you go about determining the values of the rock. Yes the people in the past could only use there eyes (with the aid of the lens) to help count the values in the rock.
Some people today will also use the aid of say a falcon type metal detector as well to help count the values in the rock sample (slow however can be faster then one's eyes for just counting up the number of 'Hits'). This can help one to decide to grind and process the rest of the charge or maybe to dig more of the vein material in prospecting.
There is still now better way to find how much values per ton then to sample up to a ton of rock / dirt and your system will do that.
Don't do bulk samples what you see is a collection of micro pockets, they range in size from one rock to 100 lbs sometimes bigger but not often, my district doesn't have a lot of bigger stuff.

Anyways I have a philosophy, the jeweler don't throw his sweepings away and most won't walk past a dime lying on the ground.

I take gold values no mater how small, at the months end they make my payday.

I use a bleeper if see it is nessacery, been doing this so long ive trained my self what to look for.
Always use the miners lens as a wealth of knowledge is in those little rock,
I use my bleeper a lot I start to get lazy don't eyballl the stuff end up passing up something good.

Will get some hole pics up so you get a better idea of what I do.

Gt.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a idea.

There is still no better way to find how much values per ton then to sample up to a ton of rock / dirt and your system will do that.
Just a idea on how to save a lot of time is to use both the lens and a falcon type of metal detector on the out put of the jaw crusher. The idea is to sample the 1/4" - 3/8" size output of the jaw crusher before going to the grinding process to determine if the sample material is good enough to fully grind up. Yes one will loose a lot of fines in that one sample however will help to determine if the 'Hit count is high enough to grind the whole charge' and then process that charge.
One should be able to set up a catch container on the out put of the jaw crusher to then sample a couple of rocks at a time then 'Scan with your eyes and the metal detector' just that one sample to help decide if the 'Hit count of the values is high enough' to then grind and process. If the sample does not have enough 'Hits' just move on to better rock material. This could also help one the 'Get on the values' faster per charge output.
If the values are so fine as to not be 'Scanned with the eyes and metal detected' then one can only crush and grind up fine enough to release the 'Free milling values' as you are doing now.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't do bulk samples what you see is a collection of micro pockets, they range in size from one rock to 100 lbs sometimes bigger but not often, my district doesn't have a lot of bigger stuff.

Anyways I have a philosophy, the jeweler don't throw his sweepings away and most won't walk past a dime lying on the ground.

I take gold values no mater how small, at the months end they make my payday.

I use a bleeper if see it is nessacery, been doing this so long ive trained my self what to look for.
Always use the miners lens as a wealth of knowledge is in those little rock,
I use my bleeper a lot I start to get lazy don't eyballl the stuff end up passing up something good.

Will get some hole pics up so you get a better idea of what I do.

Gt.

Look forward to your pictures of rocks with micro pockets. One should be able to count up the micro pockets in one rock sample more accurately by crushing first down to say 1/4" - 1/2" size of the jaw crusher output then counting up the micro pockets with just ones eyes and not using the darn 'Bleeper' if one likes. How many values there are may be determined by both the lens and the 'Bleeper' with the idea of just counting up the 'Hits in the sample rock'. If there is not enough 'Hits in the sample rock' one should try to move onto better material.
Yes this one agrees with you that the best way to know for sure of values is the use on one's eyes aided by the lens with the use of the pan to collect the most values per sample.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look forward to your pictures of rocks with micro pockets. One should be able to count up the micro pockets in one rock sample more accurately by crushing first down to say 1/4" - 1/2" size of the jaw crusher output then counting up the micro pockets with just ones eyes and not using the darn 'Bleeper' if one likes. How many values there are may be determined by both the lens and the 'Bleeper' with the idea of just counting up the 'Hits in the sample rock'. If there is not enough 'Hits in the sample rock' one should try to move onto better material.
Yes this one agrees with you that the best way to know for sure of values is the use on one's eyes aided by the lens with the use of the pan to collect the most values per sample.
By the way if a 'Bleeper' makes a noise towards vs. going away on each micro pocket can tell you how many good 'Hits' there is for the number of micro pockets counted thus helping one decide if they should grind up finer and process all of the sample.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
If each charge of rock takes from 6 - 12 hours to grind up then one may be able to do a second 'Scanning / grading' of at least some of the 300 lbs. of jaw crushed rocks. The idea is to make a better 'Batch of crushed rock' (high grade) to then grind up to fine flour for processing.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
very nice and sure gives me the itch to go mining!! but nowadays so much has become off limits!! and they just keep making more land un-available!! we sure need NEW group in Dc whom are PRO little people!!
This is hard rock mining no political bull crap.

Came here to talk mining you gotta add that crap, ruined my day n my thread,

I go now.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you stopped by gold tramp. I always enjoy your visits. Thanks for sharing - you've got a nice operation. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
This one agrees that your set up works that is for sure. Thank you for sharing. 8-)8-)

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing. Inspiring me to get back to work. That arrastra is really great. The eyes are my favorite hard rock prospecting tool. Would love to see more about the material you're digging into. I've been digging into a quartz vein with Iron, lead, copper, gold. Layers of parallel fractures in the quartz contain the minerialization. Like your rock crusher. I've been making it work with the sledge to break it down to size then running batches through the cement mixer loaded with steel balls. Screen it out every hour or so.
View attachment 1487993 View attachment 1487994 View attachment 1487995 View attachment 1487996 View attachment 1487997

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing. Inspiring me to get back to work. That arrastra is really great. The eyes are my favorite hard rock prospecting tool. Would love to see more about the material you're digging into. I've been digging into a quartz vein with Iron, lead, copper, gold. Layers of parallel fractures in the quartz contain the minerialization. Like your rock crusher. I've been making it work with the sledge to break it down to size then running batches through the cement mixer loaded with steel balls. Screen it out every hour or so.
View attachment 1487993 View attachment 1487994 View attachment 1487995 View attachment 1487996 View attachment 1487997
Thank you for the pictures. Yes a good eye can spot wonders that is for sure. The people in the past had no choice but to use there eye's.
A metal detector can be used some times on veins of larger quartz. With a lot of miniaturization in the rocks this can overload the metal detector. Smaller sized rock samples can help prevent this over loading effect of the metal detector as well as using the smallest coil you can. At best the metal detector is just a sorting tool one still has to decide if there is any values there. A pan can be a good sorting tool as well to see if there is any values there.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It is unclear how much material you are processing but there is a simple home made pulverizer that has been described on this forum many times that would probably work well for you too. It is simply a piece of pipe welded upright to a base plate and another piece of pipe that is capped and sized to fit inside the other pipe and by pounding the rock/ore with it the rock is quickly reduced to particles as small as powder while at the same time fully containing it. Screen out the larger pieces, recharge them and continue pounding to reduce them further.

What ever you do, good luck.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is unclear how much material you are processing but there is a simple home made pulverizer that has been described on this forum many times that would probably work well for you too. It is simply a piece of pipe welded upright to a base plate and another piece of pipe that is capped and sized to fit inside the other pipe and by pounding the rock/ore with it the rock is quickly reduced to particles as small as powder while at the same time fully containing it. Screen out the larger pieces, recharge them and continue pounding to reduce them further.

What ever you do, good luck.
Yes any pipe and rod type of crusher will get one started for crushing. This one started with a all ready welded up old large Christmas tree stand about 5-6" in dia. with the legs cut off.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the crusher with the rocks. Looks kinda like a melangeur used in chocolate making.

What grinding stones are you using in the bottom? Schist/slate?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
The direct drive on the 4x6 burford (1920's) is interesting as well. The massive belt drive flywheels you don't see on newer jaw crushers. Maybe the shaft size is bigger then 1" as well so as not to twist from a sudden stop with the large flywheels. Are there just 'Set screws' on the flywheels?
Like the old transmission connected to a electric motor as well.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like the crusher with the rocks. Looks kinda like a melangeur used in chocolate making.

What grinding stones are you using in the bottom? Schist/slate?
Thanks,
the drag stones are tonalite porphery, floor stones are olivine gabbro I think I got it right.

The stuff is very hard tight grain good grind surface, takes the abuse from the hard quartz ores.
The tonalite provides the toothyness needed to grab the ore keep it moving around the machines.

These type contrivances were used to process grains and other food stuffs
in the early days.

Gt.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now if we are done talking of the politics, I can get back to the next phase of my system.

Here at claudette mill its mining only no time for nonsense it don't get the ore across the table.

I think Ive shown enough of the grind procces, next tabling ore. Will get some pics right now we are cleaning the pond, and dealing with very hot.

Hope to beback up running in a couple hours.

Gt,

Gt.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now if we are done talking of the politics, I can get back to the next phase of my system.

Here at claudette mill its mining only no time for nonsense it don't get the ore across the table.

I think Ive shown enough of the grind procces, next tabling ore. Will get some pics right now we are cleaning the pond, and dealing with very hot.

Hope to beback up running in a couple hours.
Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Thank you.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold sure looks purdy when its all in a lump like that! Nice work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread