what metal detector to use for lode gold?

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking for gold where it is not supposed to be any in my state. I found evidence of an ancient tailings pile and what looked like manmade gravel bars cause they were flat ,like cobblestone streets.Looked like somebody had been doing some serious placer mining there at one time, off the history books so to speak. Anyway. I found a small ,super heavy black Rock there with my dowsing rods and Whites MXT.I chucked it cause it wasn't yellow, been back several times to try to recover it but conditions are always bad, water too high, raining, etc. Been told by other prospectors that gold ore/nuggets are sometimes black cause of a coating on it? Anybody have any experience with this? My map dowsing is indicating thousands of ounces of gold in the area. I am now of the opinion it is in these rocks like the one I tossed out but won't know for sure til I make another recovery and get it analyzed. Last time I went there, I found numerous hotrocks .Not the cold rocks that make a Boing noise.These sounded like coins.I hit one with the tip of my rock pick and it flattened the point on my pick? Dunno how and didn't even hardly mark the rock. Any ideas what the rock could be?This one was also black, but it was light weight, not super heavy.
I also discovered my Tesoro LST had to be put in black sand mode to handle the HOT ground. This tends to cut my depth in half. What detectors would you guys recommend I use here on a tite budget? I had a chance to get a Pulsestar 2000 for 1600 bucks and supposedly it can handle hot ground better than a Minelab, but then again , I dunno. Them Minelabs are awful heavy .I have to carry stuff in almost a mile over rugged ground. The rough limestone bedrock in the area is fairly shallow, like 1-3 feet in the ridges, but more like 6 feet near the creeks. This part of our state is more known for cow pies and black dirt altho zinc and lead were mined about 50 miles nw of here for over a hundred years.
The rock I threw away was definitely not lead cause i have tons of galena I have metal detected and it was black, not grey, size and shape of my clenched fist, super heavy, guesstimate maybe 2 pounds. And the limestone bedrock in the creek there is reddish and all them out of place Hot rocks? Otherwise, the creek is mostly mudholes. I found the spot with my map dowsing for gold.Still have yet to find a speck of yellow there tho? I will be checking on some other spots I have map dowsed in the area there since I know now to look for these super heavy, black, metal detectable rocks.
Maybe I should wait for Dave Emory's Pulse Devil detector to come out? I hear it is in the testing stage in Australia now.
I have Dexpan in case I do find hardrock gold, in the meantime need advice on these strange black heavy rocks and how to find them in the HOT ground?
Thanks,ps,sure hope Jeff does not delete my post since I mentioned dowsing? I really need this mining advice?

Thanks-Tom

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
TVANWHO,What state are you in?The black coating on gold is sometimes manganese.Your MXT should find lode gold.A PI detector will handle hotground better than a VLF in most cases.A GMT is very good on quartz gold if your searching mine dumps,quartz veins, and old tunnels and drifts.If there is no gold in the area or state it dosen't matter obviously what detector you have.Why not get reports from your state and county on the the type ofminerals that have been found previously?If your in a gold area the limestone bedrock is an ideal trap for the yellow............Dave

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
I have seen micro gold saturation in heavy black rock. I was told it was a hematite base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread