hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Wondering if anyone used USDA Soil Maps.
An article in Fine Homebuilding from way back in 2001 was about the maps in terms of building stability but they looked interesting as a compare of topo's next to the soil maps.
The soil maps tell of types of soils and might be helpful locating good areas also indicating man made soils like a mining area that had been back filled.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Yes looking at soil maps can be useful. The maps came about because of agriculture uses of lands compared to other uses of the lands.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Sweden I use soil maps all the time. Shows me where ancient rivers were, outcrops etc. very useful for prospectors.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USGS geological maps are a better resource.

Their job in the past was to find and map valuable mineral resources...lots of good maps out there.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
USGS geological maps are a better resource.

Their job in the past was to find and map valuable mineral resources...lots of good maps out there.
Yes these maps can help when there is a "Contest" between "Mineral vs. agriculture lands". There has the be a "Geologist" involved to help make the maps. This also helps with "Open mineral entry" as well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
check to see if your state has done a soil survey . It will be listed in your states Department of natural resources list of publications. It is in great detail!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread