Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I went to an old abandoned gold mine yesterday and got some rocks that made my GM1000 scream on disc and show non-ferrous targets. I'm assuming it is because a heavy deposit of microscopic gold within the rocks/quartz. What's the best/easiest way to crush the rock and recover the gold? These rocks are heavy as heck, so I have a feeling they ought to be good :).

I threw them into my ruck sack to pack out with me.. almost died climbing back up the mountain! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everybody, I went to an old abandoned gold mine yesterday and got some rocks that made my GM1000 scream on disc and show non-ferrous targets. I'm assuming it is because a heavy deposit of microscopic gold within the rocks/quartz. What's the best/easiest way to crush the rock and recover the gold? These rocks are heavy as heck, so I have a feeling they ought to be good :).

I threw them into my ruck sack to pack out with me.. almost died climbing back up the mountain! Lol

Iron pipe with cap and a rod or ram for crushing. You may also want to look at large Christmas tree stands say 4 - 6 inch size made out of pipe. Get some screens and a gold pan as well.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you did not find lead. No matter what a crush and test pan will tell you what is there. Be sure to use a glass lens to look at the values.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rod, Tube, Plate.. Doesn't need to be fancier than that..

15776426265_9cf8c97620_c.jpg

15777980712_75f8d89d5e_c.jpg

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about for big rocks though. Are you breaking them up first, and then using it? How are your trapping the broken rocks? I tried previously with wrapping in a blanket, but the hammer hitting the rocks put holes in it

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about for big rocks though. Are you breaking them up first, and then using it? How are your trapping the broken rocks? I tried previously with wrapping in a blanket, but the hammer hitting the rocks put holes in it

I've got an old bus pan that's cracked, I just smack 'em in that. Dish basin, old mortar tub, or just smack 'em on the sidewalk and sweep up the crumbs if they look good.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Large rocks need to be broken up first to smaller size by sledge hammer. This is the main reason most people will not get into hard rock prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread