Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I went to an old abandoned gold mine yesterday and got some rocks that made my GM1000 scream on disc and show non-ferrous targets. I'm assuming it is because a heavy deposit of microscopic gold within the rocks/quartz. What's the best/easiest way to crush the rock and recover the gold? These rocks are heavy as heck, so I have a feeling they ought to be good :).

I threw them into my ruck sack to pack out with me.. almost died climbing back up the mountain! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did the same exact thing and mine turned out to be lead. Hope your licks better than mine. A mortar and pestle is best for a small sample

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travel light, take a rock hammer, you can crush the rock you want by placing it on a larger rock.

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been using a piece of ar500 steel plate as a base and a 5 lb sledge inside a card board box. It works but its slow.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some 'chin plastic guards' for the lower legs may save one from getting injured from flying rock.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get or make yourself a "Dolly Pot" Basicly a steel Mortar and Pestle, makes the job you speak of Much easier and you don't lose material due to flying off when struck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions