Start Up Costs?

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's some great info in this thread. I'm typing this 2000' underground right now. Get someone with experience in smaller scale mines on board. They are interesting characters, are used to making good to great money, used to working in sketchy ground packing around a jack leg all day long, and usually a little out there. It will be hard to attract them if you don't have a decent property lined up and the prospect of good pay. Why would they leave a 6 figures mining gig to go wander around the desert with you?

It sounds like you are retired and not working for someone else. The best experience is going to be working for some one else at a mine similar to what you want to work. If you don't want to start as an older green bean then be ready to pay big time for experience. Pogo mine in Alaska just filled an entry level miner job, that would have been a good introduction. I work at a large scale mine but drive by over 100 used to be operational small scale mines. There's a reason they aren't in production any more. There's rumors of some operating under the radar but it would be hard to run enough ore to be profitable and not get noticed.

MSHA is a 4 letter word, we just got done with our 4th weeklong disruption of work from them this year. The amount of BS involved in keeping them happy is nuts. You might be able to fly under their radar but if you don't good luck. The amount of signage and guarding is ridiculous, common sense in their mind doesn't exist.

Water and environmental will be an issue. I believe most of the small scale mines around here got shut down because of environmental concerns. Most of the mines have heavy metals in the water and you can't just discharge it down a drainage. This is an area I don't know a ton about but know it's a nightmare. I think it would be easier to start in an area that's dry and then worry about brining in water for drilling, processing, and dust control than it would be to worry about treating dewatering water unless the water is clean enough to discharge without treatment.

Where are you currently located?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread