Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Some outcrops on the place.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    371 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 605dano View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I went out and dug a little on a grey quartz vein a few days ago. The reason I keep going back to this vein is the quartz closely the ore from a nearby historical mine that had very rich ore, [ozs per ton]. I have yet to see visible to the eye gold there. It is very fractured in the vein, can dig out with screwdriver. It is close to a fault fissure feature and in a fine ground yellow clay. Biotite is the main accessory. Will try to crush and pan some soon. Took a couple pieces that were covered in limonite and soaked in hydrochloric acid. Didn't see any gold after. Am trying to concentrate on where I can see that fluids have penetrated. Hope springs eternal.
    Hydrochloric acid?? You probably dissolved your fine gold. HCl used to be used quite a bit (relatively) to take gold into solution if amalgamation wouldn't work, and before cyanide came onto the scene.

Never rely on visual indications for gold in a rock. Send it for assay otherwise you will never know what you have. There isn't any other way to do it correctly.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    608 times
    Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid alone won't put gold into solution..three parts hydrochloric and one part nitric will make royal water,also known as agua regia and put gold into solution.
    gold tramp likes this.

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    371 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dave wiseman View Post
    Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid alone won't put gold into solution..three parts hydrochloric and one part nitric will make royal water,also known as agua regia and put gold into solution.
    There are entire sections of The Chemistry of Gold Extraction by House and Marsden devoted to oxidation and leaching using chloride ions to form the Au(I) and Au(III) complexes without any nitric acid present. Add salt to HCl at pH of 2-3 and the leaching rate is faster than alkaline leaching through cyanide.
    Assembler and Clay Diggins like this.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    7487 times
    Prospecting
    There is no need for Nitric acid or Aqua Regia to dissolve gold. Any Halide (including Chlorine) will suffice under the right conditions. There is however a blocking chemistry provided by the water and silica found in natural rock. You can dissolve your relatively refined gold (jewelry, placer nuggets) with chlorine or other halides but most gold ores are much more complex and contain things that block the reaction or cause the gold to precipitate back out of solution (iron is notable in that regard and is present in most in situ gold deposits).

Oxidation never takes place alone and is just part of the redox reaction. The introduction of other elements found in gold deposits almost assures that the application of a Hydrochloric acid will not have the intended effect. Best to leave the chemistry until you are mining and refining. Randomly applying acids to ore proves nothing about the quality of the ore. As stated here many times, before you can accurately determine the the composition of an ore you need to have a competent fire assay. Anything else is just an approximation of actual values at best.

The fire assay is the easy part. Understanding the nature of just what you are assaying is the highly skilled task that most fail at. Picking up obvious mineralized pieces of ore for fire assay is not a grab sample and in all cases the results are misleading. Better to stumble blindfolded over an ore pile and pick up pieces at random than to eyeball grab samples.

Heavy Pans
    SaltwaterServr and gold tramp like this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    There is no need for Nitric acid or Aqua Regia to dissolve gold. Any Halide (including Chlorine) will suffice under the right conditions. There is however a blocking chemistry provided by the water and silica found in natural rock. You can dissolve your relatively refined gold (jewelry, placer nuggets) with chlorine or other halides but most gold ores are much more complex and contain things that block the reaction or cause the gold to precipitate back out of solution (iron is notable in that regard and is present in most in situ gold deposits).

Oxidation never takes place alone and is just part of the redox reaction. The introduction of other elements found in gold deposits almost assures that the application of a Hydrochloric acid will not have the intended effect. Best to leave the chemistry until you are mining and refining. Randomly applying acids to ore proves nothing about the quality of the ore. As stated here many times, before you can accurately determine the the composition of an ore you need to have a competent fire assay. Anything else is just an approximation of actual values at best.

The fire assay is the easy part. Understanding the nature of just what you are assaying is the highly skilled task that most fail at. Picking up obvious mineralized pieces of ore for fire assay is not a grab sample and in all cases the results are misleading. Better to stumble blindfolded over an ore pile and pick up pieces at random than to eyeball grab samples.

Heavy Pans
    Have to just stick with my action mining leach manual its easier for me.
    GT,,,
    Last edited by gold tramp; Dec 08, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Nov 2012
    105 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Winter showed up for a few days but yesterday was warm enough to crush and pan some of the grey quartz I dug out. A little disappointing. Didn't see any gold. The pyrite left in the pan was what showed up. That is from about a cup and a half of material. Heavier than the quartz. I'll try some of the other veins next. Wish I had a better way to crush the rock. The steel rod and pipe gave me a workout. Thanks for the replies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pan sam. 1 015.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	1524997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pan sam. 1 016.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	1524998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pan sam. 1 003.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	1524999  
    gold tramp likes this.

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    608 times
    Crush up those bigger pieces that are in the pan...
    gold tramp likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    7487 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    Have to just stick with my action mining leach manual its easier for me.
    GT,,,
    cls is often a good option but it isn't always the best option. Ores need to be treated according to the nature of the deposit. cls probably works on more types of ores than any other method but sometimes it too fails to get the goodies.

Do you wash your ore before beginning cls treatment? Desert ores typically have fewer organics but the clay fractions can be problematic. Depends on the deposit.

How do you deal with your cls slimes? It gets expensive neutralizing the byproducts. Do you use sodium hydroxide? Are you using bucket sizes or do you have a tank?

Heavy Pans

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    cls is often a good option but it isn't always the best option. Ores need to be treated according to the nature of the deposit. cls probably works on more types of ores than any other method but sometimes it too fails to get the goodies.

Do you wash your ore before beginning cls treatment? Desert ores typically have fewer organics but the clay fractions can be problematic. Depends on the deposit.

How do you deal with your cls slimes? It gets expensive neutralizing the byproducts. Do you use sodium hydroxide? Are you using bucket sizes or do you have a tank?

Heavy Pans
    Lets take this over to my still here thread, that way not hijack danos thread.
    GT,,,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links