Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Hard Rock Pocket Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2017
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    All good advice. An assay will give you the real dirt on it.
    Haven't had it professionally assayed yet. Home fire assay gets a hit which is encouraging.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2856.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	1536643

Name:	IMG_2857.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	1536644
    this is the resulting prills from two assays of the same sample. Don't have a scale that weights to the milligram.

Used
    15 Grams Sodium Carbonate
    25 Grams Borax
    10 Grams Litharge
    5 Grams KNO3
    5 Grams flour
    40 gram sample

Melted to liquid until it didn't bubble anymore, collected and cupeled the lead.

Got one prill measuring 0.384mm the other 0.336mm

Sample was from a little scoop off the top of the sack of millings I have for the material from that site. So a pretty homogeneous mixture of the last 15 pounds that I ran through the rod mill. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	1536656

Name:	IMG_1931.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	1536657
    Assembler, Aufisher and Asmbandits like this.

Apr 2013
    130 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    How big is the bead?
    Aufisher likes this.

Jun 2017
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamlineGold View Post
    How big is the bead?
    Don't have a milligram scale. Used digital calipers took five measurements of each averaged than and got one prill measuring 0.384mm the other 0.336mm

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2506 times
    Prospecting

If my math is correct, the bigger prill is about .000569 grams, roughly 2.4 cents worth at $1,330/oz...Nice!
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim in Idaho; Jan 20, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Jun 2017
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    If my math is correct, the bigger prill is about .000569 grams, roughly 2.4 cents worth at $1,330/oz...Nice!
    Jim
    If it was all gold anyway. Need to rustle up some nitric acid.

So at 0.000569 Grams out of a 40 gram sample that's:

0.000569g/40g = x/1,000,000g (1 metric ton)

X=14.225 Grams of silver-gold doré per tonne (1,000kg) or

0.000569g/40g = x/907184.7grams (USA short ton)

X= 12.904 Grams per USA short ton aka
    0.415 ozT silver-gold doré per short ton

Thanks. Where did you get the mm to prill weight estimation info?
    I tried to do it once based on the area of a sphere and the density of different blends of silver gold alloys and came up with around 1/3 oz of silver-gold fore per ton assuming a 60:40 silver gold ratio (prill is basically silver colored).

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    624 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobrothers View Post
    Don't have a milligram scale. Used digital calipers took five measurements of each averaged than and got one prill measuring 0.384mm the other 0.336mm
    Milligram scales won't get you close enough for realistic measurements. You need a microgram scale and those are dang expensive. You're talking about north of $5000.00 for a good one. Hence, send it all off to a certified assayer.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
    Milligram scales won't get you close enough for realistic measurements. You need a microgram scale and those are dang expensive. You're talking about north of $5000.00 for a good one. Hence, send it all off to a certified assayer.
    One can drill a known larger volume of rock for the "Fire assay" test or add the results of many "Fire assays" together for a final test of a larger value. Still like the idea of crushing say a quarter ton of the test rock of question to get a real world idea of what is the value per ton for a given process that one decides to use as compared to a "Fire assay".

Mar 2016
    1448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobrothers View Post
    Can anyone here say they've ever seen it or run across it ? Any stories pictures or knowledge you're willing to share? For clarification I am not talking about Eluvial h2o+gravity concentrated pockets but pockets of gold found exploring a lode deposit.
    I think the pictures posted up meet the criteria that you presented “pocket gold encountered while exploring a lode deposit” It’s where the vein finally really starts to pay with visible free milling gold.
    Usually it only persists in a small area, and then the pay returns to some less than acceptable level. Wealthy companies of men could afford to plow through the barren vein in hopes of hitting the next pocket.

Others have a strict interpretation of “pocket gold”, which is to mean gold that has eroded from the vein and concentrated near the outcropping. I’m not sure it really matters, one leads to the other.
    I call that “float gold”. From what I’ve found, it can range from very porous, crystalline, to just chunks of the vein shot full of gleaming gold, all in the same small patch of ground.

It has been said miners would nearly starve trying to find these “pockets” because they were so far and few between. I believe in my area, “pocket gold” was a rich shallow surface deposit that they found by tracing the float gold up the hillside. It was taken out with minimal effort compared to tunneling or shafting and the pocket hunters moved on when the pocket played out and the rock got hard.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    1448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KRIKITTS View Post
    Shhh
    Everyone must see something different when they google “pocket gold”. Here’s my top results.
    Anyone care to do that search and post up a screen shot of what they get? Maybe some pictures of gold they have looked at? Maybe we all see the same thing?

Name:	8DA96452-6FA7-4BED-A8F0-0E8EF5093E10.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	1544950
    Assembler likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Everyone must see something different when they google “pocket gold”. Here’s my top results.
    Anyone care to do that search and post up a screen shot of what they get? Maybe some pictures of gold they have looked at? Maybe we all see the same thing?

Name:	8DA96452-6FA7-4BED-A8F0-0E8EF5093E10.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	1544950
    Always nice to see some very high grade pocket gold that not everyone can find.
    Thanks for the post.
    If you are in a area less known for high grade pocket gold the gold just may be more concentrated in the rock in general and still be considered a type of lower grade pocket gold.
    Last edited by Assembler; Feb 03, 2018 at 01:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links