Hard Rock Pocket Gold

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't have a milligram scale. Used digital calipers took five measurements of each averaged than and got one prill measuring 0.384mm the other 0.336mm

Milligram scales won't get you close enough for realistic measurements. You need a microgram scale and those are dang expensive. You're talking about north of $5000.00 for a good one. Hence, send it all off to a certified assayer.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Milligram scales won't get you close enough for realistic measurements. You need a microgram scale and those are dang expensive. You're talking about north of $5000.00 for a good one. Hence, send it all off to a certified assayer.
One can drill a known larger volume of rock for the "Fire assay" test or add the results of many "Fire assays" together for a final test of a larger value. Still like the idea of crushing say a quarter ton of the test rock of question to get a real world idea of what is the value per ton for a given process that one decides to use as compared to a "Fire assay".

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone here say they've ever seen it or run across it ? Any stories pictures or knowledge you're willing to share? For clarification I am not talking about Eluvial h2o+gravity concentrated pockets but pockets of gold found exploring a lode deposit.

I think the pictures posted up meet the criteria that you presented “pocket gold encountered while exploring a lode deposit” It’s where the vein finally really starts to pay with visible free milling gold.
Usually it only persists in a small area, and then the pay returns to some less than acceptable level. Wealthy companies of men could afford to plow through the barren vein in hopes of hitting the next pocket.

Others have a strict interpretation of “pocket gold”, which is to mean gold that has eroded from the vein and concentrated near the outcropping. I’m not sure it really matters, one leads to the other.
I call that “float gold”. From what I’ve found, it can range from very porous, crystalline, to just chunks of the vein shot full of gleaming gold, all in the same small patch of ground.

It has been said miners would nearly starve trying to find these “pockets” because they were so far and few between. I believe in my area, “pocket gold” was a rich shallow surface deposit that they found by tracing the float gold up the hillside. It was taken out with minimal effort compared to tunneling or shafting and the pocket hunters moved on when the pocket played out and the rock got hard.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Everyone must see something different when they google “pocket gold”. Here’s my top results.
Anyone care to do that search and post up a screen shot of what they get? Maybe some pictures of gold they have looked at? Maybe we all see the same thing?

8DA96452-6FA7-4BED-A8F0-0E8EF5093E10.png

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone must see something different when they google “pocket gold”. Here’s my top results.
Anyone care to do that search and post up a screen shot of what they get? Maybe some pictures of gold they have looked at? Maybe we all see the same thing?

View attachment 1544950
Always nice to see some very high grade pocket gold that not everyone can find.
Thanks for the post.
If you are in a area less known for high grade pocket gold the gold just may be more concentrated in the rock in general and still be considered a type of lower grade pocket gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread