Hard Rock Pocket Gold

OP
OP
T

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Been exploring a quartz vein in granite country rock. A friend told me he got gold out of it in the eighties with a shaker table. Trenches with a couple short adits, coyote holes and inclined shafts. Not easy to get to and whoever opened it back in the day somehow got an air compressor up there to run a drill. Mineralization is pretty standard for the area (geothite limonite iron layered quartz, iron pyrites). In areas in addition to the quartz and granite there are layers of very soft altered material that for lack of a better word I refer to as chlorite. Very very soft in comparison to the vein or country rock. Coloration is from white to blue to iron iron iron brown (with inclusions of sandwiched iron (oxides, and geothite) to sometimes interestingly enough 'gold' colored. If it's gold gold then it's not like anything I've ever seen or recognized as gold.
Thanks for knowledge pictures enclosed.

IMG_2710.PNG
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pocket gold 5.jpg Pocket gold 1.jpg Pocket gold 2.jpg Pocket gold 3.jpg Pocket gold 4.jpg Pocket gold 6.jpg High grade gold pockets in Quartz.jpg

Some pictures off the internet. Some are hydro formed.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More pictures.

Some more pictures. Pocket gold 8.jpg Pocket gold 9.jpg Pocket gold 7.jpg

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the rock pictures respond to a metal detector and have visible gold as told by the owners.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of those don't really look like "pocket gold" The spongy stuff kinda does.

get this book

oregon-pocket-gold.jpg

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research Seam gold seam diggings and gold in shear zones.

Get a copy of Fists full of gold it goes over different deposits including what I mentioned.

fists-full-of-gold.jpg

OP
OP
T

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting. Thanks Assembler. Unfortunately I don't have metal detector to test with. Up to this point I've done all prospecting visually. An MD-20 is high on my wish list.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting. Thanks Assembler. Unfortunately I don't have metal detector to test with. Up to this point I've done all prospecting visually. An MD-20 is high on my wish list.
The MD 20 will see gold that you may miss with your eyes. Be prepared to replace the cable on the unit when it acts up. The MD 20 can be a lot faster then one's eyes. Usually if you find visible gold there is some more near it. A 4" - 5" coil on a Gold type metal detector can find wonders.

This one thinks the Pocket Gold book is a good start and have talked with Tom Bohmker.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also have ore running many oz per ton with no reaction to the md20 at all.

Id say most lodes have pockets..it could be a geologic feature along the vein that causes more gold to drop out of solution than other areas.

But I do think the ore looks good. Probably not high grade but still has potential.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice. An assay will give you the real dirt on it.

OP
OP
T

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
All good advice. An assay will give you the real dirt on it.

Haven't had it professionally assayed yet. Home fire assay gets a hit which is encouraging.
IMG_2856.PNG
IMG_2857.PNG
this is the resulting prills from two assays of the same sample. Don't have a scale that weights to the milligram.

Used
15 Grams Sodium Carbonate
25 Grams Borax
10 Grams Litharge
5 Grams KNO3
5 Grams flour
40 gram sample

Melted to liquid until it didn't bubble anymore, collected and cupeled the lead.

Got one prill measuring 0.384mm the other 0.336mm

Sample was from a little scoop off the top of the sack of millings I have for the material from that site. So a pretty homogeneous mixture of the last 15 pounds that I ran through the rod mill. IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If my math is correct, the bigger prill is about .000569 grams, roughly 2.4 cents worth at $1,330/oz...Nice!
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If my math is correct, the bigger prill is about .000569 grams, roughly 2.4 cents worth at $1,330/oz...Nice!
Jim

If it was all gold anyway. Need to rustle up some nitric acid.

So at 0.000569 Grams out of a 40 gram sample that's:

0.000569g/40g = x/1,000,000g (1 metric ton)

X=14.225 Grams of silver-gold doré per tonne (1,000kg) or

0.000569g/40g = x/907184.7grams (USA short ton)

X= 12.904 Grams per USA short ton aka
0.415 ozT silver-gold doré per short ton

Thanks. Where did you get the mm to prill weight estimation info?
I tried to do it once based on the area of a sphere and the density of different blends of silver gold alloys and came up with around 1/3 oz of silver-gold fore per ton assuming a 60:40 silver gold ratio (prill is basically silver colored).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread