Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What were they looking for?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
    48 times
    Prospecting

What were they looking for?

I could really use some help in identifying what other people were mining long ago. This mine runs through schist, it has a solid one foot thick stringer of red and white VUGGY quarts running through it. The stringer is like a big-fat plate (est 50'x100'x1') that sits about 20 degrees flat and into the hill. The quarts is crazy looking, it's white, red, and orange and very vuggy. I have sampled everything, especially the quartz and there are no signs of gold. I don't see any signs of gems. Maybe it was a mineral that they were chasing? A 100' tunnel is a lot of work for nothing?
    I live near the Vail Lake area near Temecula, CA. There doesn't seem to be much gold activity around here. There's a couple of vertical shafts nearby. I found records for two prospect mines from the 70's , one for gold, other for feldspar? None of it makes any sense. All I can really count on is the schist and quartz.
    Any recommendations on what I can look fo?? I added a few pics, hopefully they will make more sense of the geological setting. The pic of stringer is how it looks on the right hand side of shaft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180109_192727 (1).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	1535441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180106_164913.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	1535442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_142213 (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	945.4 KB 
ID:	1535443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180101_144213.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	1535444
    Aufisher likes this.

Dec 2013
    14 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Is there a tailings pile? If so sample it. It could tell you what they
    were mining. If there is not a tailings it means they took everything of
    value and left the hole. If it is safe check the back and the face
    of the mine to see if they left any different material for you to find.
    Hope this helps
    Lefty2u

us
    Oct 2015
    USA
    34 times
    Prospecting
    Looks like a gold prospect to me...iron stained quartz and a decently mineralized zone. Could be that whoever was working it found a small zone that made sense to mine and chased the vein to a few spots looking for more rich zones in the area after that. Or I could be wrong of course but that seems to make the most sense for your area?
    Tired of your bitcoin? Send it to me: 1PXEQ452svneT3y7PusgA9W3RF2NPMiRc2

us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
    48 times
    Prospecting
    There is a tailings pile, last time I looked it seemed to be mostly schist. But you're right, I should really get in there and see what they left. If all schist, then they were after the quartz FOR SOME REASON? I'm mostly taking samples from the sides, the pic of the quartz on the wall represents what both sides of the tunnel look like. I'm pretty sure it runs out in the back, I'll have to clean it up to see. I will get into the pile to investigate, Thanks!

us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    48 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
    Looks like a gold prospect to me...iron stained quartz and a decently mineralized zone. Could be that whoever was working it found a small zone that made sense to mine and chased the vein to a few spots looking for more rich zones in the area after that. Or I could be wrong of course but that seems to make the most sense for your area?
    That's what I was/am leaning toward. I'm taking samples of the quartz and everything around it. I figure that if I go into the sides pretty good that I should pick up a flake or two. I've found zero, and I really get into it, magnifying glass and all.
    Imagine a plate lying flat on a table, you chew a path right down the middle of the plate because that's the only place gold was at. Just doesn't make sense, there's gotta be gold on the sides as well, at least a flake or two.
    Maybe I stink at sampling, I break off chunks of quartz and schist that run along both sides of the wall, I even take good samples of the clay or weathered material that has precipitated down through the schist. The angle of the schist allows for a decent amount of moisture to make its way down, no drops, just weathered/soft. I mark my bags, go home, break and grind it up to about 20 mesh. Then I pan it all. Nothing! Not even a flake! Still though, I lean toward gold?
    I'm not apposed to showing this spot to someone more knowledgeable. It's more about solving this geo question and having fun than any monetary value. I live about 3/4 mile from this spot, Take my Polaris down, grab samples, bring to my pump house to process.

us
    Oct 2009
    7001 times
    Maybe the miner found gold in the quartz at the surface and thought it must contain more so he mined further and further in search of it until he finally gave up when he couldnt find more.

us
    Jul 2015
    Denver, CO
    73 times
    How do you know your samples have no gold? Did you fire assay? No visible gold doesn’t mean no gold

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    522 times
    Prospecting
    A flat, or nearly so, deposit is referred to as a tabular deposit or reef deposit depending on where you are in the world as far as the reader, not the miner. The terms are interchangeable.

Vuggy quartz that's iron stained? Gold and silver most likely, but you need to fire assay like Skunked68w mentioned. Visible gold is far and few between. I wouldn't guess how many thousands of modern miners never see visible gold in some of the largest mines in operation today, but they're cranking out 200K ounces a year.

100' isn't very big at all.

Think of it from this perspective. Some of the old miners found a small streak. They mined it because they found it. Not all mines were rich ones, some were just enough to make grub. It kept them in the game for another season where they either moved on to greener pastures or took up a different career. Most of us these days have the luxury of moving on from one property if we don't like the economics. That wasn't always the case, in fact, far from it.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    48 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked68w View Post
    How do you know your samples have no gold? Did you fire assay? No visible gold doesn’t mean no gold
    I think you are correct, I broke up some of my best stuff tonight. I really really really inspected it, my best loop and lighting. I see nothing after four pans, then I see micro, micro, micro bits of goldish looking stuff rolling along with the water. These specs had separated from everything else and were just outside of a seam on the bottom of the pan. Whatever it is it is so fine that water just moves it around. Is it possible that it is so friggin' fine that water would move it around. I use the standard method of swirling the water in a circular motion to separate everything else from the gold. Is it even possible that the water is simply moving micro bits of gold around?

us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    48 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked68w View Post
    Can I do a fire assay myself?

us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    48 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
    A flat, or nearly so, deposit is referred to as a tabular deposit or reef deposit depending on where you are in the world as far as the reader, not the miner. The terms are interchangeable.

Vuggy quartz that's iron stained? Gold and silver most likely, but you need to fire assay like Skunked68w mentioned. Visible gold is far and few between. I wouldn't guess how many thousands of modern miners never see visible gold in some of the largest mines in operation today, but they're cranking out 200K ounces a year.

100' isn't very big at all.

Think of it from this perspective. Some of the old miners found a small streak. They mined it because they found it. Not all mines were rich ones, some were just enough to make grub. It kept them in the game for another season where they either moved on to greener pastures or took up a different career. Most of us these days have the luxury of moving on from one property if we don't like the economics. That wasn't always the case, in fact, far from it.
    I think you're on to something, I'm going to research fire assays and check my materials out better. Thanks I really thought that I'd just see the gold with my loop after panning. If I see nothing, there must be nothing

Jun 2017
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    I think you are correct, I broke up some of my best stuff tonight. I really really really inspected it, my best loop and lighting. I see nothing after four pans, then I see micro, micro, micro bits of goldish looking stuff rolling along with the water. These specs had separated from everything else and were just outside of a seam on the bottom of the pan. Whatever it is it is so fine that water just moves it around. Is it possible that it is so friggin' fine that water would move it around. I use the standard method of swirling the water in a circular motion to separate everything else from the gold. Is it even possible that the water is simply moving micro bits of gold around?
    Very Possible. Revealing video on some of the peculiar behaviors of fine gold (flotation) and an explanation of why tiny pieces of gold can move around so much. It all has to do with density vs size
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YniK_HzZxM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YniK_HzZxM8

Jun 2017
    52 times

Persistence and/or a lucky break

I hacked through/ open a lot of vuggy iron stained quartz until I found obvious visible gold for the first time. It helps if you know how gold comes in your district. Old mining reports sometimes make mention . I got a lucky break; broke open a slab of quartz. And there it was a shiny gold foil sandwiched in layered quartz. The first time I saw it I knew it right away. Once I saw that I knew exactly what to look for in the vein quartz. Each district (site, and even foot by foot on a vein at times) has its own geologic ore controls and peculiarities.

Basically it comes down to this:

-Either you find a report that tells you what you're looking for.
    -You find a good crumb the old timers left behind and you know what to be on the lookout for
    -You bang away at every piece of iron stained quartz (don't forget to check the contact zones with the hanging and foot walls) and examine everything closely until you find what you're looking for

Whatever it is have fun doing it!

Name:	IMG_2517.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	1535746

Name:	IMG_2622.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	1535747

PS thought I had while banging away at a quartz vein the other day. I wasn't finding what I was looking for that day. Namely gold and The geologic indications had my hopes up for a lot of it. God created the world at and for His pleasure. If it pleased Him to make a vuggy quartz vein without gold what can I say? If it's not there I could bang away at it all day? And find no pay. Maybe the old timers scooped up all the good stuff? Maybe they were just gold crazy enough to dig a 500ft trench through quartz and granite for nothing. Haul a gasoline powered air compressor 700ft. Up a 30% grade for the experience of it?

Anyway. Be safe. Whatever it is you get up to have fun. That makes the difference between living or just killing yourself slowly.
    Assembler likes this.

Jun 2017
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    Can I do a fire assay myself?
    With some investment/ ingenuity and research you too can do a fire assay at home.
    If you have a lot of money to blow that will help

In all serious I did it on the cheap and you can too.
    This article will tell you everything you could possibly need for any fire assay.
    https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/fire-assay
    https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/fire-assay

For a quartz ore all you really need are Borax, Sodium Carbonate, Litharge, flour, and possibly some Potassium or Sodium Nitrate.

I've had success with a mixture of borax, Sodium Carbonate, litharge, a little flour and some Nitrate if its got a lot of undecomposed sulfides. Buy a decent 60 gram crucible Pack a piece of pipe with some Portland cement for cupels and there ya go. Build a forced air waste oil burner furnace(many different ways and YouTube videos to skin that cat). It's something fun to pour your own little miniature fusion smelt!

Name:	IMG_2435.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	1535752

Name:	IMG_2326.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	1535753

Name:	IMG_2299.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	1535754

Name:	IMG_2320.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	1535755

Name:	IMG_2323.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	1535756
    911Met and Aufisher like this.

us
    Earth mover

Dec 2015
    Temecula
    48 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks, I'll check out the vids. I've come to the conclusion that this is what I need to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links