Last edited:

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Memorials:

Anyone come across this?
Thanks.

There is a number of reasons why this one is asking. Thank you.

Are you talking about survey markers?
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG

Or claim markers?
IMG_3398.JPG
IMG_3399.JPG

These claim markers are technically smaller than published specifications. Must've been all the strength they could muster for the day.

I know sometimes to help prove ownership if the discoverer was worried about claim jumpers they would stash a trinket or a glass bottle with a note at the bottom of a claim marker. Not standard or required practice from what Ive gathered. In case of claim ownership dispute an inspector could be directed to such and such monument and the description of the stashed item. Maybe that's the sort of memorial they're referring to?

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you talking about survey markers?
View attachment 1549521
View attachment 1549528

Or claim markers?
View attachment 1549522
View attachment 1549523

These claim markers are technically smaller than published specifications. Must've been all the strength they could muster for the day.

I know sometimes to help prove ownership if the discoverer was worried about claim jumpers they would stash a trinket or a glass bottle with a note at the bottom of a claim marker. Not standard or required practice from what Ive gathered. In case of claim ownership dispute an inspector could be directed to such and such monument and the description of the stashed item. Maybe that's the sort of memorial they're referring to?
A memorial may consist of any durable article which will serve to identify the location in case the monument is destroyed. A full description of such articles will be embodied in the field notes wherever they are employed as a memorial.

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay so it is a stashed item. "Twelve paces to the east of the discovery monument buried a tin with a notecontaining my name and a 45 caliber shell" something to that effect. Something to back up discovery/ ownership.

Can't say I've definitely found anything like that. Fire and the elements Take their toll over time. Taking apart monuments looking for squirreled away artifacts may be viewed negatively by public land administrators and other recreators. Destroys history at the least and may be considered criminal if its old enough.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay so it is a stashed item. "Twelve paces to the east of the discovery monument buried a tin with a notecontaining my name and a 45 caliber shell" something to that effect. Something to back up discovery/ ownership.

Can't say I've definitely found anything like that. Fire and the elements Take their toll over time. Taking apart monuments looking for squirreled away artifacts may be viewed negatively by public land administrators and other recreators. Destroys history at the least and may be considered criminal if its old enough.
The item can be stashed or in plain sight and may be missing do to the passing of time, people and animals etc. The important fact is the memorial is recorded in field notes for the purpose of "Discovery / monument" backup.
Thank you for your reply and input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread