Mineralized Quartz Cut From Quartz Vein

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

First time posting. Here is a mineralized quartz cut from the quartz vein below, it has not been panned yet, due to my impact mill being made. Is this high grade gold ore?

Here is a sample ore from the vein
IMG_0999.JPG

Here is a view of the vein,
IMG_0998.JPG

There is an abandment gold mine in close distance. Thanks in advance.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post moved to it's own thread.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Take a few samples every five feet or so from the vein and crush and pan out.Mark a seperate bag as to know where each sample came from.It's only ore if it's payable to work.If you do not want to crush just pan out the dirt,clay and small quartz chips slowly.If you've a good amount of gold..pan into another pan or tub.Any color out of a quartz vein is worth further sampling.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a few samples every five feet or so from the vein and crush and pan out.Mark a seperate bag as to know where each sample came from.It's only ore if it's payable to work.If you do not want to crush just pan out the dirt,clay and small quartz chips slowly.If you've a good amount of gold..pan into another pan or tub.Any color out of a quartz vein is worth further sampling.
Good information and thanks for posting.
Yep if one finds any color it worth sampling around that area as better values may be near by.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'll never know if it's worth messing with until you have an assay.
A "Fire Assay" will show almost all of the values in a given sample including values one may not even be looking for per "Assay ton".
Crushing and processing a ton will give one a very good idea of the recoverable values for a given process or processes per ton sample material (test material). One may choose to not recover trace amounts of some values depending on the costs and time to recover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for your prompt responses. I will finish building my mill this week and process samples from the vein and report my finding here.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for your prompt responses. I will finish building my mill this week and process samples from the vein and report my finding here.
Look forward to your reports and thanks for updating us out here.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi

First time posting. Here is a mineralized quartz cut from the quartz vein below, it has not been panned yet, due to my impact mill being made. Is this high grade gold ore?

Here is a sample ore from the vein
View attachment 1549741

Here is a view of the vein,
View attachment 1549748

There is an abandment gold mine in close distance. Thanks in advance.
Forgot to address the question is this high grade gold ore? Besides just crushing and panning you may want to try different gold type metal detectors with different coils to spot some higher grade rocks before crushing.
Not that you will find a lot of good rocks however can cut down on the number of rocks during the sorting process. You never know just one or two good rocks can really stand out from the rest in a pile of rocks.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. As you see below my chain impact mill is about to be finished. I am hoping by weekend I have it pulverizing rocks. image.jpg

And
image.jpg

I have to thank members here with great threads regarding different design of chain mills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

I finally got my chain mill running and took a rock that first I thought is quartz but upon testing with acid it fizzed so I concluded these pieces of rocks are limestones.

Here are two pieces of limestones,
image.jpg
And this one
image.jpg

For the mill I had to chop these rocks into smaller pieces which can be seen here,
image.jpg

Here is the result pulverizing those rocks. About 95% passing mesh 100.
image.jpg

Ran those in my homemade blue bowl on low flow rate, got this band of magnetic fine powder which can been forming in this photo,
image.jpg

Using a magnet I collected those black sand and save them for further fire assay with lead fusion,
image.jpg

Here is most of magnetite black sand collected, since I used flash it got this green stain to it, but fine powder under loup looks dark gray.
image.jpg

I will be testing different samples of quartz rocks with fire assay results and post them here in this thread.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok further investigation showed that black sand magnetite which first thought to be blacksand turned out to be fine pieces of iron eroded from main chamber or chain of the mill. Hence the rusty color once they dried out.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok further investigation showed that black sand magnetite which first thought to be blacksand turned out to be fine pieces of iron eroded from main chamber or chain of the mill. Hence the rusty color once they dried out.
This is part of the fun and learning what is in the rock and what is not.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes indeed. This is my first panning of quartz in my life. So it is learning step for me.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In continuing quartz ore sampling and panning here are some mineralized quartz ores I had spotted before I built my chain mill, and brought with me some rocks.

Sample rocks, mostly iron minerals in quartz imbeded in mica shell,
image.jpg

Smaller rocks which were dropped off the main quartz ore body were collected and can be seen here,
image.jpg

I put all these rocks into my chain mill except the big quartz with black stain on it, here is the output which I sifted for panning,
image.jpg

Starting to pan, lots of light white quartz were washed off,
image.jpg

Here is what I think is blacksand since it was heavy and upon looking at it using loup very fine gold powder were visible but not a lot, hard to take photo, but I will pan the rest and smelt the concentrates to see if there is gold for sure or not,
image.jpg

Best regards
KJ

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Today in the field I found these rocks. I like to share them with you.

This one has a crack and in it seems like native copper.
image.jpg

This rock is quartz with some black crystals then another black rock attached together.
image.jpg

This last one has long black crystals which resembles black tourmaline.
image.jpg

I have found few spots that seemed like some digging looking for gold. I did not know there were so much gold prospecting around my city.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that rock crusher does a great job ! You can save yourself a Lot of time investing in a Falcon MD-20 .......Post #15 picture#2 is as small as you have to go w/the Falcon to see of there is gold inside.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow that rock crusher does a great job ! You can save yourself a Lot of time investing in a Falcon MD-20 .......Post #15 picture#2 is as small as you have to go w/the Falcon to see of there is gold inside.
Yes may also be a good idea to use a 4"-5" size coil on a gold type metal detector as well on the same size rocks.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advise on Falcon. I do not have access to any detector here as its usage is banned by the government. So I rely on old fashion way of crush and pan.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advise on Falcon. I do not have access to any detector here as its usage is banned by the government. So I rely on old fashion way of crush and pan.
Crushing and panning is what the old timers did and works well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread