Worth more as a specimen or crushed?

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys think this guy is worth more as a specimen or should I crush it up? Wish I knew where it was from. Guess my buddies kid picked up somewhere.

016F7ED9-623E-437C-A7B3-BF43EFB7EE84.jpeg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you guessing that is gold or do you know that it is? To me, the picture seems to be questionable as to what it is/is not like any pictures of specimen gold I have ever seen. If it is it may be worth more as a specimen to a collector but then you have to find a buyer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Falcon MD20 is saying its nonferrous so it's not pyrite and its heavy. What else is shiny Gold colored? I'm thinking its Gold.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Falcon MD20 is saying its nonferrous so it's not pyrite and its heavy. What else is shiny Gold colored? I'm thinking its Gold.
Maybe a gold alloy? Looks like pyrite.
There could also be a small 'Pocket of values' under or within. A scratch test may tell some more information.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Your device may(?) be sounding off because of what is inside. That said here are a couple of quick ways you can check to see if what is showing is gold:

1. Gold looks like gold in full and shaded light....If the gold color disappears when in shaded light, it is not.

2. Gold is malleable so if you prod it with a sharp object like an ice pick, etc. it will leave an impression in it....If it chips/flakes or disintegrates it is not gold. Crush and pan the flakes to confirm.

Hope it is gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread