Blasting questions?

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I was pondering different situations that arise out in the field of gold prospecting and mining. I have watched countless videos about how to solve different problems that arise in the process of gold mining. I have read a few regulations on the use of explosives in mining but I have to ask here the important questions. How many guys use various forms of blasting rocks if at all,and what is the most cost effective. I saw the video of the sierra blaster and it seems pretty effective to use in certain conditions. I was just wondering because i haven't seen threads dealing with it.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We will be blasting using different methods. I am currently waiting in the ATF to get back to me on my blasting license. Most likely we will be using ANFO or Ammonal. Both are effective at what they do and that is turn big rocks into little rocks. And they are both highly regulated with a long paper trail to use.

As for the Sierra Blaster, it works well for what it is. We have one and it will break up rocks pretty well but it is slow and too time consuming to use in a production environment. I'm sure one of my partners will be along shortly to comment more on the Sierra Blaster as they have more experience with it than I do.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey mad machinist, I was researching the laws and regs awhile back for licensing and it was quite complex not something I have the time to pursue. I was curious if the miners here had their preference that was less than the license.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For hardrock, there really isn't much less than a blasting license. If you have highly fractured rock, then you could try a rotary hammer.

Yes it is complex at first, but as you get into it and deal with it, it gets less and less complicated.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the ATF hassles you as much as they do the gun dealers when you have a blasters license. I understand the need to control the chemicals and such that a blaster needs but is it worth it? I have seen videos of a blaster coming into a claim for an owner and doing the blasting for him. Cost and danger would dictate it I would suppose. Does a person need a license for the sierra blaster that you know?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes the ATF will hassle you a little bit with a blasters license. They just want to make sure that this stuff isn't ending up in the wrong hands.

No license needed for the Sierra Blaster except for a small test to buy the cartridges. Its easy to pass.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I used betanomite to aid my getting 36 ft deep shaft dug in solid diorite. I call the hole the schoolteacher mine.
I now use dexpan. they both work well for my situation.

Gt...

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The type of 'Claim' can play a part in the use of explosives as asked about in post #1 and should be looked at first.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The type of 'Claim' can play a part in the use of explosives as asked about in post #1 and should be looked at first.

I'll trust what mining law attorneys tell me as the gospel long before I take what is said on the internet as the truth no matter how good it sounds.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll trust what mining law attorneys tell me as the gospel long before I take what is said on the internet as the truth no matter how good it sounds.
It is always a good idea to look at information from say a "Act" or more then one source first hand and the 'Internet information' is to be taken with a grain / keg of salt at best.

The use of explosives has been used in both "Lode and Placer Claims".

For example:
No lode claim located subsequent to May 10, 1872 should exceed the statutory limit of 300 ft. in width on each side of the center of the vein, or 1,500 ft. in length........In the absence of proof to the contrary, the discovery point is held to be the center of the vein on the surface.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is true. But then we get into extralateral rights and a whole lot of other things.
Correct this is why it can be a very good idea to also make "Discovery's" on extralateral issues if one can after all in the absence of proof to the contrary, the discovery point is held to be the center of the vein on the surface.
In some "States" if one 'Diggs down from the Apex of the Vein' more then 10 ft. this can lay the 'Foundation' of the direction of that "Discovery Vein line" because of the two "End points" of this line.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if the ATF hassles you as much as they do the gun dealers when you have a blasters license. I understand the need to control the chemicals and such that a blaster needs but is it worth it? I have seen videos of a blaster coming into a claim for an owner and doing the blasting for him. Cost and danger would dictate it I would suppose. Does a person need a license for the sierra blaster that you know?

Would like to point out that for example Assembler and Mad Machinist talking about what may appear to have nothing to do with Blasting. However with out having say a "Discovery Vein" interest can make more issues to handle say with the ATF if one is just Blasting the lands and the possible hassles that would entail. Blasting up say all the trees for example that have little to do with the "Discovery Vein line" can cause a lot of bad issues.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which is kind of why I asked the question in the first place. I was wondering if I'm working my lode claim and have the need to get down further into the vein what are guidelines for surface blasting near cacti or other native plaints?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Which is kind of why I asked the question in the first place. I was wondering if I'm working my lode claim and have the need to get down further into the vein what are guidelines for surface blasting near cacti or other native plaints?
Good idea to check with the "State" you are interested in working a "Discovery Vein" if there is some type of "Documentation / guidelines" on working / digging down from the "Apex of the vein". In some "States" if one proves of a 10 ft or more diggings then there is a "Re-location / Discovery" documented. Others so far have not been willing to talk much about this.
The cacti roots can be a "Surface management issues" along with tree roots and even bushes if there is only "Minerals in character". Blasting can be a little more of a challenge if there is only "Minerals in character".

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting one's rear in a sling over lack of understanding of the law is not for me. I'll ask ten questions for every law or guideline I've read. I heard it was illegal to destroy or molest certain cacti in the desert which make perfect sense to me. I have respect for the land and all that it holds (except rattlesnakes and scorpiens). I was just wondering what the guidelines are for recreational gold miner and a big arse rock that's in my way to being indepedently wealthy.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buy a Sierra Blaster and don't worry about the explosive laws. Chip away at that boulder and it will be gone before you know it.

On the rattlesnakes, check your local laws as they may be a protected species and you can get in a lot of trouble for killing them. I know it is illegal to kill Mojave Rattlesnakes (the ones with the really nasty bite) here in Arizona as they are a protected species even though they are as common as flies around where I live.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the blaster is about the best for a recreational miner novice like myself. Blaster license is way back on my need to learn about list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread