?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What type weld rod would be best suited for hardface on my jaw crusher.
Jaw plates are cast iron.

I have a stick welder. Need advice as im not the best welder.
Thanks. Gt.....
If this one recalls correctly (go look in a Lincoln / Miller books) there is what is called a Ni-rod (Nickel alloy rod) for welding on hot preheated cast iron. Not sure one may be able to then weld with a hard face type of rod over this?
This one welded two layers deep over just mild steel plate, bowed like crazzy the plates and have not flattened out yet. Just 5lbs. of hard face rod can run around a hundred dollars......wow.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you decide to run one bead of hard facing rod you should have at least 225 amps d.c. to work with and a a.c. welding unit will not work.
As this one recalls the Ni-rod has to have at least 800 - 900 degrees preheat F. of the cast iron for there not to form any cracking of the cast iron.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have forgotten the numbers and letters of hard facing rods in my old age. I did hard facing snow plow edges and different skid plates and cutters too. One type is for impact and another wearing surfaces. Assembler is correct about the cost, I remember some customers almost passing out telling them the qoutes on resurfacing.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If this one recalls correctly one can not weld hard facing rod on most cast iron because of the different expansion rates of the two different metals will cause cracking to form in the cast iron. However with a layer of Ni-rod in between can work with the different expansion rates. All of the welding will have to take place with preheating the cast iron to prevent cracking. You may be better off starting with a plate of mild steel and welding the beads of hard face rod no preheating is really needed unless one wants no cracking of the first run bead or weld.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
GT,

Are you sure it is cast iron and not cast steel?

Im not sure. Was assuming it was. You know what they say about that.
Heres a pic of the plates front n back. Somebody started doing some work on the end of one.

This is the first time ive had it apart. I pretty much wore it smooth.
I may just take to a shop.

Thanks all for assist
Gt.....

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im not sure. Was assuming it was. You know what they say about that.
Heres a pic of the plates front n back. Somebody started doing some work on the end of one.

This is the first time ive had it apart. I pretty much wore it smooth.
I may just take to a shop.

Thanks all for assist
Gt.....
Maybe there is information about the metal of the plates from the factory or maker? If it files easy it could be cast steel. Looks like it is cast steel to me because of the hard face rod used.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking at the picture of the plates with still some hard facing metal on them. Best to clean up the best you can (grinder) and add more hard facing rod metal. A pack of 5lbs. of hard facing rod should be more then enough.
If your welding machine is d.c. give it a try. If not have someone else do it.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
G.T. to bad you don't live closer to Misery (:dontknow:) I would weld it for free but you buy the rods and come on over for a cold one! I have a Miller SD180 AC/DC T.I.G. welder and the time to do it. Shipping would be a killer , then the best bet is your own advice and take it to a weld shop!

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My understanding, and limited experience is that if you take a file or drill to it, steel will produce chips, while cast iron produces more of a powder like swarf.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I beleive the plates are of cast steel. filed on some cast iron was very easy to file.
The plates not so easy to even get filing started.
Also the cast iron makes a dull thud when tapped. The plates actually have a ring to them when tapped.

Thanks to all for input saves going to town.

My son has a machine and is fair welder i just wanted to make sure i get him the right rod.
So thanks again for all the help.
Im ridin the pine a few more days. looks like i have a job. Start grindin metal on those plates.
Will let you know how they turn out when there finished.

Gt.....

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I beleive the plates are of cast steel. filed on some cast iron was very easy to file.
The plates not so easy to even get filing started.
Also the cast iron makes a dull thud when tapped. The plates actually have a ring to them when tapped.

Thanks to all for input saves going to town.

My son has a machine and is fair welder i just wanted to make sure i get him the right rod.
So thanks again for all the help.
Im ridin the pine a few more days. looks like i have a job. Start grindin metal on those plates.
Will let you know how they turn out when there finished.

Gt.....
I is a good idea to have your son show the plates and ask at the same welding supply place you buy the rod how to make the bead passes to reduce the cupping or warping of the plates. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thank you.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I is a good idea to have your son show the plates and ask at the same welding supply place you buy the rod how to make the bead passes to reduce the cupping or warping of the plates. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thank you.

Unfortunately the weld supply doesnt take gold.
Always the big hold up in my story gettin the gold to pay the way.

Today we got the gold but no $$$
Probably prove harder to get the $$$ for the gold.
Than it was to gets the gold.

Mining for a livin.
Gt....

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately the weld supply doesnt take yellow.
Always the big hold up in my story gettin the gold to pay the way.

Today we got the yellow but no green.
Probably prove harder to get the green for the yellow.
Than it was to gets the yellow

Mining for a livin.
Gt....
Sounds like that 'Yellow lives matter' over green.......LOL.
On the welding of the hard face beads on the plate. You may have to weld only a few inches before stopping to cool off the base plate enough and then weld some where else to reduce the cupping and warping of the plates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread