Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Pictures of hard rock ores

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    captain

    Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    122
    76 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Pictures of hard rock ores

    I would like to see the miners on this site post more pictures of their ores that they run across when they prospect. The miners on youtube are pretty good at showing and explaining what they are showing us and some are memebers here too. I just get to magnify the pictures that are posted here and sort out oppinions of them better here. Thanks
    tamrock and Phishfarmer like this.

  2. #2
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    9,267
    13378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    These are some I picked up from some of the mines I've been in and put em in my flower garden 1st one I think I got at the Black Cloud in Leadville, Colorado silver ore. The 2nd I got out of the Lucky Friday in Mullen, Idaho silver ore and the 3rd is a piece the shift boss pulled off the face as the good stuff in the Stillwater East Boulder mine as what they recover in mining the Platinum group metals in Montana. As for anything I've personally mined, it would be out of the pockets of the mine owners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180504_084733884.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	1595459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180504_084725693.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	1595460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180504_084717743.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	1595461  
    Last edited by tamrock; May 27, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
    Clay Diggins and gold tramp like this.

  3. #3
    zw
    Jan 2015
    106
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F0365A9-276D-4281-9B7B-047846BDFE32.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	1595700
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CD04614-10FD-434F-81B1-7355CAF6CB71.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	1595701

  4. #4
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    9,267
    13378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Wow! Someone still using a hammer mill. So how many tons in 8 hours can you run through one of those?

  5. #5
    zw
    Jan 2015
    106
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Wow! Someone still using a hammer mill. So how many tons in 8 hours can you run through one of those?
    Stamp mills. They do around 1 ton per hour depending on the rock.
    tamrock likes this.

  6. #6
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    9,267
    13378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pczim View Post
    Stamp mills. They do around 1 ton per hour depending on the rock.
    Yes stamp mill, as a hammer mill is technically a completely different design. One ton an hour seems pretty good. Only stamp mills I see around here are nothing but old relics of a bygone era which seemed to have come to a close about the time I began to work in this industry. There were many more smaller operations back then 30 years ago, that used the jack legs and drill steel I sold to. Last week though I got a call from some fellas going back in an older shaft mine with the intention of once making it a success. They all have the right talent at least.
    pczim likes this.

  7. #7
    zw
    Jan 2015
    106
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Yes stamp mill, as a hammer mill is technically a completely different design. One ton an hour seems pretty good. Only stamp mills I see around here are nothing but old relics of a bygone era which seemed to have come to a close about the time I began to work in this industry. There were many more smaller operations back then 30 years ago, that used the jack legs and drill steel I sold to. Last week though I got a call from some fellas going back in an older shaft mine with the intention of once making it a success. They all have the right talent at least.
    I enjoy stamp mills. I have 2 of them and when they run in unison they make a hell of a noise. I use stamp mills as my secondary crushers after a jawcrusher, the sand and slime from the stamp mills then get pumped into a ball mill. Using a hydro cyclone I then separate the sand to be leached in tanks and the slime goes into a small CIP plant.

    Have you seen one running over there?
    tamrock and Clay Diggins like this.

  8. #8
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    9,267
    13378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've never seen a stamp mill in operation. Most of them look like this one if even this good of condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01co_maggie_gulch_stamps.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	1598859  

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,085
    8896 times
    Prospecting
    I have a friend who runs a 5 stamp mill for his district in New Mexico. Loud but very effective with a good operator. 1 ton/hour sounds about right depending on the stock. He also insists on running the ore through a jaw crusher first. I can't imagine how long a ton would take if it wasn't already broken down. There is real talent to keeping the grind size mixes right for a productive run.

    There is a restored 10 stamp mill running in Cave Creek several times a year. The last run this year was about 3 weeks ago.

    They used to run a big 5 stamp mill in downtown Phoenix at the Mining and Mineral Museum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide13.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1598938

    That was one of the finest mining and mineral museums in the world and it was very popular. It was founded in 1884. They killed the funding in a vicious political free for all and attempted to wipe out the mining history of Arizona in the process. Much like California, Arizona seems intent on destroying their own mining history. Unlike California Arizona has some of the largest and most productive active mines in the world. Not only are we still mining but several very large new mines are being developed as well as a resurgence in small gold and gem mining operations.

    Heavy Pans
    Gambrinus, arizau, pczim and 3 others like this.

  10. #10
    zw
    Jan 2015
    106
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    I have a friend who runs a 5 stamp mill for his district in New Mexico. Loud but very effective with a good operator. 1 ton/hour sounds about right depending on the stock. He also insists on running the ore through a jaw crusher first. I can't imagine how long a ton would take if it wasn't already broken down. There is real talent to keeping the grind size mixes right for a productive run.

    There is a restored 10 stamp mill running in Cave Creek several times a year. The last run this year was about 3 weeks ago.

    They used to run a big 5 stamp mill in downtown Phoenix at the Mining and Mineral Museum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide13.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1598938

    That was one of the finest mining and mineral museums in the world and it was very popular. It was founded in 1884. They killed the funding in a vicious political free for all and attempted to wipe out the mining history of Arizona in the process. Much like California, Arizona seems intent on destroying their own mining history. Unlike California Arizona has some of the largest and most productive active mines in the world. Not only are we still mining but several very large new mines are being developed as well as a resurgence in small gold and gem mining operations.

    Heavy Pans
    Hey that’s pretty awesome. Nice looking 5 stamp. Your absolutely correct, the feed is very important and is mostly done by ear and feel of the vibrations, the more metallic the noise means your under feeding etc. My stamps are a little bigger than that one, our stamps weigh 1450lbs each. Sometimes when the jawcrushers are down we run as the primary and then it gets slowed down to around three quarters of a ton.

    I too am interested in American mining history, unfortunately I have not been to California or Arizona. Been to NYC, Washington and Everglades only. Next time I come I would love to see your museum. Awesome on the mining resurgence, with the current gold price, if you can produce it is a great industry to be in. Even for us, we have had a new president since last year and since then our country’s mining industry is booming. I’m lucky I have had a head start. Even though I live in one of the oldest gold mining nations n the world there is so much we don’t know as we did not preserve our history the way you have.

    Whoops look at how we have diverted the topic from hard rock ores

  11. #11
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

    Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    9,267
    13378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yeah getting back to ore samples, someone recently posted this one on LinkedIn. I thought it was a pretty handsome looking sample. It was recovered at the Idarado mine in Colorado.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbbc3fa9-401c-4c64-92b5-c94714b52536-original.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	1599266  

  12. #12
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    4,903
    10397 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Yeah getting back to ore samples, someone recently posted this one on LinkedIn. I thought it was a pretty handsome looking sample. It was recovered at the Idarado mine in Colorado.
    that is a really neat piece

    Imagine the whole pocket
    tamrock and Real of Tayopa like this.

  13. #13
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

    Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    2,646
    3897 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steeple.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	1599523

    From a new prospect.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

  14. #14
    zw
    Jan 2015
    106
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39978A1E-5926-40D5-B9AA-AD47F825A3FE.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1599556

    From another post of min but relevant to this thread

  15. #15
    us
    Gold Tramp

    Dec 2012
    883
    1564 times
    You guys are showin high grade ? Not ore.
    Gt....

    Great old stamp mill pics.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Rarely Played Hard Rock & Classic Rock Gems
    By GarageSaleKing in forum Music
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 17, 2017, 07:33 PM
  2. Hard rock sampling mill Without the hard work
    By gold tramp in forum Hard Rock Mining
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 28, 2014, 06:02 PM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last Post: May 26, 2013, 04:41 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
  5. Its hard to take pictures of SPARKLING things!
    By OutBack Duo in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Sep 03, 2007, 06:51 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0