Rubies in North Carolina.

Sep 12, 2018
Cleveland TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. This may be old hat to some of you, but having just emigrated I am looking to wet my beak, and I am told that there are some places in North Carolina where you can mine for rubies, having paid an upfront fee. I’m about to do some research on it, but I wondered if anyone here had any recommendations, warnings or advice.

Thank you in advance.

[Edit: Apologies, I see I posted this in the wrong sub section]

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several pay-to-dig (or sift) places in NC. Search the web for gem mines in western NC. If you are headed across the state, there is a place in Hiddenite, NC that has a sluice where you can, for a price, sift for gems. You can also go "creeking" where you walk the creek through the area looking for interesting things. We have been a couple of times and have found some interesting but not valuable rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. As I said, nothing valuable but still lots of fun.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are pay to dig mines at Franklin, NC. Google them or contact the chamber of commerce. Some have all natural materials, some salt the dirt with sapphire from Asia. Their heyday was back in the 60's and 70's, I should know, I was there, done that, got rubies and sapphires.

AnnaMountain

Dec 10, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of Ruby’s :) - found this laden with garnets and a couple of small nice ruby’s just a couple weeks ago...

B1728212-D80E-4C47-8B38-F5CB5FA4834F.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread