Ran an alternative -cyanide leach experiment.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20181003_081634.jpg

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cyanide is always "recycled" in commercial mining operations. The systems for recovering cyanide are part of the normal process stream for mineral leaching. REDOX - it works both ways, nobody in mining is throwing their chemicals out.

There is no such thing as a "permit" to buy cyanide, you can buy cyanide on the open market in the United States without a permit. The problem you are running into has to do with the companies that sell cyanide. They will only sell to known companies with an established need for cyanide. That's because people use cyanide to kill other people. Chemical companies oddly don't like being associated with enabling murder. Go figure. :icon_scratch:

If you can show what your use for cyanide is those companies will ship you whatever you need for your project - no permit needed. :thumbsup:

Potassium or sodium cyanide is way cheaper, faster, more effective and just as "recyclable" as potassium ferricyanide. I suspect that's why there are no mines of any size using potassium ferricyanide as a primary leach.

I wish you luck on your project. It can be fun to experiment with chemicals. Mining companies try different formulas and processes constantly in an effort to get better recovery and lower their OPEX (economics). I suspect whatever result you obtain will already be well known within the mining industry.

Heavy Pans

Clay,

Thank you for the heads up on buying the cyanide. We're working out a way to recycle the cyanide as we speak including a buying a few tools needed to measure to ppm of cyanide.

We are also working on a plating cell. It's slow right now because we can't buy the equipment without the gold but we can't recover the gold without the equipment.So most of this is coming out of our pockets right now. ANd we all know how life gets in the way of your best laid plans.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I only have hands on experience with this stuff, seems to me your going about things backwards.
Since one has to clean his ore before leach, you should really be using some kinda of table to clean n concentrate.

Then you could get your highgrade off and just straight refine or smelt as is, heck just amalgamations will be fine followed by acid digest n smelt.
this way you can get a paycheck right off.

Save the other heavys till your plant is finished, you don't really want to leach the yellow if one can remove first as fairly clean product.

I have a table if youall need one, loaner only, and many years ore washing experience, would be glad to help if I can.

In hardrock one must either have highgrade ore to work from or build a stock pile of low grade then go for it!!!!!!

Course all my technical info comes from the acme true prospector handbook.
Hope this helps youall and doesn't tick you off just my observation I could be wrong about how you are doing things if so sorry.
Gt.....

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only have hands on experience with this stuff, seems to me your going about things backwards.
Since one has to clean his ore before leach, you should really be using some kinda of table to clean n concentrate.

Then you could get your highgrade off and just straight refine or smelt as is, heck just amalgamations will be fine followed by acid digest n smelt.

Save the other heavys till your plant is finished, you don't really want to leach the yellow if one can remove first as fairly clean product.

I have a table if youall need one, loaner only, and many years ore washing experience, would be glad to help if I can.

In hardrock one must either have highgrade ore to work from or build a stock pile of low grade then go for it!!!!!!

Hope this helps youall and doesn't tick you off just my observation I could be wrong about how you are doing things if so sorry.
Gt.....

GT,

We have a table and are working on an area to set it up right now along with an RC46 for crushing right now. We have a patent also but we're caught in the ultimate catch 22 right now. Need the gold to get better equipment, but need the equipment to get the gold. It kinda sucks.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't under the pricing for ferricyanide. I used to use it in processing photographs.
I've still have a pound of the stuff and I know I didn't pay anything close to that. Is there a
difference in the concentrations with what you used?

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't under the pricing for ferricyanide. I used to use it in processing photographs.
I've still have a pound of the stuff and I know I didn't pay anything close to that. Is there a
difference in the concentrations with what you used?

Yeah, the purity of the stuff I've ordered as far as the ferri and ferro cyanides are both chemistry lab grade.

Gt.....

No sir, you've got it in the right order and that's exactly how we'd do it. Pull the gravity gold off first, then leach the concentrates if they don't carry any sulfides. Next step is the leach, recovery, and smelt if necessary.

In this case I was only running a comparison of the three types of compounds for setting up further experiments.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay,

Thank you for the heads up on buying the cyanide. We're working out a way to recycle the cyanide as we speak including a buying a few tools needed to measure to ppm of cyanide.

We are also working on a plating cell. It's slow right now because we can't buy the equipment without the gold but we can't recover the gold without the equipment.So most of this is coming out of our pockets right now. ANd we all know how life gets in the way of your best laid plans.

Aint that the truth!

It goes without saying the potential toxicity and environmental impact of CN..hence why chem companies keep it locked down pretty tight.

Varun

Greenie
May 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread