Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some cold war era on ebay from time to time. Stupid things still work. I have one. You have to make sure it reads the low emissions. You can also get used Russian ones pretty inexpensively.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello EB (somehow calling you by your Tnet name does not sound right to my mind but then I am Crazy!),

You might contact a high school or college Geology Instructor, maybe they would have you swing by with your sample to identify it??

Or, the department of mines and minerals for a look see

Or either of the above might be able to look at the pictures to have a good idea of what you have. Just thoughts................63bkpkr

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You're lucky. All I found in my driveway was a YUGO.
My wife bought a brand new 87 Yugo in California. Then we moved to Colorado and I used it to commute to work as she got a Mazda something?. Then one of the biggest blizzards hit the front range and I don't think I've ever in 30 + years seen another so severe as that one. I made it home in the Yugo in deep drifting snow and she had to stay the night in a YMCA that opened up for stranded folks as the traffic came to a complete halt. I got blown off the road in the Yugo into a snow drift. I got out and put my back into it and pushed that little featherweight car out of that drift and zigzagged all over the road and made it home. My wife called as there was one phone in the Y for everyone to take turns calling to let everyone know where they're at. Landlines only back then. I re-jetted the carb in that Yugo for living hear in Colorado and actually enjoyed that zippy little thing that could turn on a dime. It was a copy of a Fiat with a 1100 cc engine and the brunt of Jay Leno's jokes, which I believe lead to the demise of that car. The people I worked with always made jokes about me and the Yugo I had. If I found another Yugo, I think I'd build me a welfare rally car, as it could handle bumpy dirt roads at a pretty good clip also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You're lucky. All I found in my driveway was a YUGO.

Wow!,
That must have read at least 10-85 in all metal mode (no discrimination) with a high threshold, and badly mineralized ground! (Yugo-slaw).
You gotta dig everything to get to get that lol.
Thanks for the post, eyeball.

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I think I might get a book and read up on them also. Thanks for sharing all the photos and info. Congrats!

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello EB (somehow calling you by your Tnet name does not sound right to my mind but then I am Crazy!),

You might contact a high school or college Geology Instructor, maybe they would have you swing by with your sample to identify it??

Or, the department of mines and minerals for a look see

Or either of the above might be able to look at the pictures to have a good idea of what you have. Just thoughts................63bkpkr
Hello 83bkpkr,
Thank you for your kind caution with my name, but I can assure you that I will not be offended.
You or anyone may use my real world name which is John.
Eyeball was a nickname out of frustration for all the times I had to come up with new user names, so I came up with this one to beat the silly system, and lo and behold it actually works just about everywhere.
Thank you for your input, and I think they are good ideas. I am always researching things for the increase of my knowledge base and by sheer luck, I have stumbled on this forum and especially Jim Hemmingway's and Lanny's threads, not to forget Eagle and also your two cents worth and many others.
I hope to be in full swing by spring, so I can go out and beat those generic little demons that are sitting on my nuggets.
Your input is much appreciated as I think of you as a knowledgeable person, having read, and still am reading Lanny's thread, where you also show up quite often.

Thank you for your reply, eyeball.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought a brand new 87 Yugo in California. Then we moved to Colorado and I used it to commute to work as she got a Mazda something?. Then one of the biggest blizzards hit the front range and I don't think I've ever in 30 + years seen another so severe as that one. I made it home in the Yugo in deep drifting snow and she had to stay the night in a YMCA that opened up for stranded folks as the traffic came to a complete halt. I got blown off the road in the Yugo into a snow drift. I got out and put my back into it and pushed that little featherweight car out of that drift and zigzagged all over the road and made it home. My wife called as there was one phone in the Y for everyone to take turns calling to let everyone know where they're at. Landlines only back then. I re-jetted the carb in that Yugo for living hear in Colorado and actually enjoyed that zippy little thing that could turn on a dime. It was a copy of a Fiat with a 1100 cc engine and the brunt of Jay Leno's jokes, which I believe lead to the demise of that car. The people I worked with always made jokes about me and the Yugo I had. If I found another Yugo, I think I'd build me a welfare rally car, as it could handle bumpy dirt roads at a pretty good clip also.
Hey Tamrock,
Don't ever apologize for owning a Yugo! They may need a hammer and chisel attitude adjustment from time to time but they were and still are a tough little 4x4.
I always wanted to buy the military version of one but never had the chance.
As joking and funning go, I just had to spice it up in my reply.
Thanks for the follow up, eyeball.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no Eyeball its only 63bkpkr. I couldn't help myself with an opening like that given to me.

Thank you for your kind words, I do not consider myself knowledgeable its just that I've been backpacking "that canyon" since 1964 (I only hiked in in Feb of 63, which is what the 63 refers to) so I have quite a few years of experience and by sheer dumb luck I'm still alive! All of the experiences have given me the mind set of "I Can Do This as long as I'm prepared and strong". This causes my packs to be way heavy though I've always made it back out even once with a Severely Sprained ankle on the same leg that I broke at the same time I sprained the ankle. The moral of that story is - do not use all of the pain medication pills from your knee or shoulder surgery but DO carry them in your backpacking first aid kit and take two at once for a broken leg with a sprained ankle incident. I continue going out there as I Love Being OUT THERE and its just a good thing to do with a few hours of a persons life! IMHO.

Your Specimens are really very interesting and colorful so I'm looking forward to learning just what they are. Jim Hemmingway may chime in on this as he either knows the answer or may know someone who knows the answer. Please keep us posted...........63bkpkr

View attachment Dredging.bmp circa 1992-93 (New York Canyon, at the Chain Falls)

PICT0012.JPG Same trip just a different canyon. I needed to drain the pond (in back of the tent) so I dug trenches down both sides of the creek throwing the dug material into the center of the creek. I needed a place for the tent so I smoothed the pile out and slept in the middle of the creek. (upper Wildcat Canyon, like you are on your way in to the Walker Mine only you take a 90 degree right turn along the way)

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no Eyeball its only 63bkpkr. I couldn't help myself with an opening like that given to me.

Thank you for your kind words, I do not consider myself knowledgeable its just that I've been backpacking "that canyon" since 1964 (I only hiked in in Feb of 63, which is what the 63 refers to) so I have quite a few years of experience and by sheer dumb luck I'm still alive! All of the experiences have given me the mind set of "I Can Do This as long as I'm prepared and strong". This causes my packs to be way heavy though I've always made it back out even once with a Severely Sprained ankle on the same leg that I broke at the same time I sprained the ankle. The moral of that story is - do not use all of the pain medication pills from your knee or shoulder surgery but DO carry them in your backpacking first aid kit and take two at once for a broken leg with a sprained ankle incident.

Your Specimens are really very interesting and colorful so I'm looking forward to learning just what they are. Jim Hemmingway may chime in on this as he either knows the answer or may know someone who knows the answer. Please keep us posted...........63bkpkr

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for your kind words, I do not consider myself knowledgeable its just that I've been backpacking "that canyon" since 1964 (I only hiked in in Feb of 63, which is what the 63 refers to) so I have quite a few years of experience and by sheer dumb luck I'm still alive! All of the experiences have given me the mind set of "I Can Do This as long as I'm prepared and strong". This causes my packs to be way heavy though I've always made it back out even once with a Severely Sprained ankle on the same leg that I broke at the same time I sprained the ankle. The moral of that story is - do not use all of the pain medication pills from your knee or shoulder surgery but DO carry them in your backpacking first aid kit and take two at once for a broken leg with a sprained ankle incident.

lol...ok 63bkpkr, I may have confused that with 83. I knew that '70's dope was going to revisit someday.
I hear you on the pain candy, I never leave home without those, my small sewing kit (read sutures) or a knife and a few different hemostats in my kit.
I know about pain and handling it when you're bleeding to death from a chainsaw cut on the shin in the beautiful mountains of Northern Vancouver island. I won't bore you with the details, but the main thing is that I got away with it, and that taught me some valuable lessons about being crazy. I am still crazy today but in a more refined way lol.

You however amazed the heck out of me by showing that pic where you stand leaning under that 100 lb pack! You have your good reasons to do that but I don't think you are crazy, more power and good health to you.
This is exactly why I'm getting back into the md'ing and prospecting, I simply need to chill out and retire like I'm supposed to and smell the outdoors again, it'll do me some good before I get on the bus to eternity.

Nice to have chatted with you, regards eyeball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions