What did I just find in my driveway?

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15421510389078688813019665546994.jpg

Giving into the ten year old urge to dig a 20'x20' spot that's been crumbling and trying to get my attention at the side of a hill the locals call a mountain :laughing7:, and right here at home terminating at my driveway, looks like it could hold secrets.

I found this rock there, on top of my foot, where it stopped rolling just to make sure I would find it.
Do any of you have any idea as to what kind of animal this could be?
Judging with my certainly near critical cache of geological knowledge, I think it could be Beryl, and the crystals maybe an el cheapo form of Emerald.
One of the crystals is a rich blue with only the tip sticking out, the others green, all being transparent. The matrix seems to be rotten Quartz and has a few chunks of clear Quartz and a goodly chunk of real smokey clear quartz plus some very black material that has minute sparkles on it. Seems like one confused rock, I mean, It couldn't even roll on BY my foot, it had to land ON it!

15421579987583398576079194669682.jpg

The crystals and some of the Quartz have what looks like tiny flakes of Gold on them, WHAT??, although running the machine and the pinpointer across it, nothing excites those, so Pyhrite is what I think.

15421517694393302693701108751320.jpg

There are a few different things going on in that rock that make me ask for some thought from other members as I would like to learn more about the kind of natural processes that formed rocks like these. I have never seen anything like this one.

15421581579858102543935314411456.jpg

I'll be digging that patch in the spring to get a feel of what may be there for river deposits and possibly find a spot of interest to process.
So thank you all for reading and maybe even an answer or two so I can possibly have a better idea of what I found.
Cheers.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blue crystal looks like amazonite, but still could be something else.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blue crystal looks like amazonite, but still could be something else.
Thanks for taking the time to answer, I am not knowledgeable on rocks too much but I am looking to find a way to learn more, so maybe I should look at courses online to become more famliar with them,
Thanks and regards, eyeball.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy yourself a good paper back book on minerals and precious metals . You'll be glad you did!
Thanks russau,
I think that is good advice, looking to find titles and will follow up on that,
regards, eyeball.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to answer, I am not knowledgeable on rocks too much but I am looking to find a way to learn more, so maybe I should look at courses online to become more famliar with them,
Thanks and regards, eyeball.
Well your in a good area for the subject of rocks, minerals and mining. Our biggest customer has a base in Sudbury and back in the later 1980s I went underground at the big nickle mine in Sudbury for some training. I'm sure you could find some rock clubs to join in your area also. It's a vast subject that I've found years of enjoyment in.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well your in a good area for the subject of rocks, minerals and mining. Our biggest customer has a base in Sudbury and back in the later 1980s I went underground at the big nickle mine in Sudbury for some training. I'm sure you could find some rock clubs to join in your area also. It's a vast subject that I've found years of enjoyment in.
I used to know someone right here in my own back yard but never got close, maybe I should see if he is still living there.
Sudbury is an interesting place for sure, I saw some geo maps of the area one time (I truck mining equipment all over the North american mainland and get into it with people sometimes about minerals and rocks), well that was interesting enough, deposit estimates and more.
but I am mainly interested in places where one can go and have fun and leave humanity behind for a couple of weeks, or travel 2 or 3 different areas to drop a coil for a few weeks out in the wild or quiet places. Rocks and ground types are a big part of that and I need to be better educated in that area.

Anyway...I am starting to get some responses that add to my awareness, and right now I'm going to hunt down some books on gems, rocks and ground conditions pertaining to mostly metal detecting, and later If time allows, some honest prospecting practice.
So...thanks for chiming in, cheers, eyeball.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....how close was I to guessing Beryl or Beryllium? That's what it looks like to me, and if any of you know what may be connected to that type of deposit or base, I would love to hear it.
I have that gut feeling I may find some nice examples to save. Are there likely gems or other crystals I may want to keep an eye out for?
I am definitely not interested to hope for riches and gold...well...scratch the gold...that's always nice, but I'm not getting involved in the greedy thing, I just want to know more and have an interesting result finding things.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have beryl you could have tourmaline,amethyst, topaz,etc.ive found them together.not gem quality though.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have beryl you could have tourmaline,amethyst, topaz,etc.ive found them together.not gem quality though.

Thanks for that reply, I guess I will get working on some excavating in the coming summer, who knows, I just might turn up some interesting stuff.
cheers

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Go nuts.if you're smacking some rock with a hammer and chisel and your chisel disappears through the rock,you found a gas pocket.If you do don't go reaching in blind grabbing stuff.youll cut the hell out of your hand.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegmatites could be beryl, garnet, tourmaline? even if they are not gem quality they could be good as specimens

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegmatites could be beryl, garnet, tourmaline? even if they are not gem quality they could be good as specimens

Hi there 58,
what I have is certainly not high grade, but still an interesting find, and my spot seems to be loaded with it. I hope to find Amethyst as others have done and have enough quality to hope for a good specimen to start a collection with.

Thanks for your post, Eyeball.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ontario is known for apatite. It occurs primarily in calcite, which is often times orange to pinkish. Dark purple fluorite sometimes comes with it as does jet black uranium! Look at "ontario apatite" on Google or Ebay for a similar picture.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ontario is known for apatite. It occurs primarily in calcite, which is often times orange to pinkish. Dark purple fluorite sometimes comes with it as does jet black uranium! Look at "ontario apatite" on Google or Ebay for a similar picture.
Hello smokey,
Thank you for replying with that info. I will look that hint up, and see what I can learn.
Apatite seems to fit with how I feel lol, my "appetite" is growing, soon to become a hunger I'm sure.
This "find" I came across (well..., IT found ME), is a nice surprise to add to my renewed interest in MD'ing and learning more about prospecting from where I left off in the '70's.

Thank you for watching, eyeball.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember not to lick the black uraninite. It makes a geiger counter go clickety clickety click.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread