Test boring machines

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, so I'm putting a general shout out to all the hard rockers here for input and knowledge. Is it practical for a small miner to test bore a suspected area for deposits. Being in a farming area and knowing the procedures for soil sampling to help a farmer/gardener test his fields is there a small scale boring machine for mining available. I have seen way too big machines advertised and are way too expensive to own but has anyone seen small ones? I'm bored and just putting it up for discussion and need input.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep ya thinking ?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizua got it right. The Shaw is about what is available right now to the small scale guy. Limited to about 75 feet if I remember right. Although we have had discussions with Shaw and they are working on a carbon fiber drill rod to get to about 400'

My bad I forgot about the Winkie drill. Little more expensive at about $25k but it will go to about 500 feet.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen some but don't know dependable they are. The ads show generators and I believe they are hydraulic drives. I would imagine they would be brought in after extensive research and plotting of an area. Cost and effective value would have to be one of factors and portability is a major concern.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I seen some but don't know dependable they are. The ads show generators and I believe they are hydraulic drives. I would imagine they would be brought in after extensive research and plotting of an area. Cost and effective value would have to be one of factors and portability is a major concern.

Winkies are pretty reliable and have a serious following. If you want one and have the cash, don't hesitate. They don't last long on the resale market. They get grabbed up pretty quick.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd like a shallow drill for near surface veins. to trill where they dip down and alonfg the exposure.. the shaw does Cores?

one thing about drilling depth..

sure you could drill to 100 ft' level

Are you ever going to run a shaft that deep is the question?

I would love one to sample surface indicators and known contacts for sure!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know how i never realized it was a core drill...always saw the add never looked into it

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For lowest cost most effective near surface drilling the Banka drill is the best. It's mostly used for alluvial deposits, wells and near surface decomposing hardrock. It can be operated manually as well as with a drive motor. With 4 inch and six inch casings the sample profile is much better than small core drills. It's the serious small miner's best choice.

If you are seriously exploring deeper hard rock deposits you really need to hire or rent a drill that can be vehicle mounted. Something like this light weight core drill can do a reasonable job when mounted to a truck..

The biggest problem you will run into besides broken/burned bits broken shafts and jammed casings is wear and tear on your torque structure. You can't just point a core drill at the ground and start drilling. Any drill you can hold with your hands will be torque limited to the ability of your hands to hold the drill against turning. If you have really strong hands the torque limit goes up to your body weight. A 180 lb man's body can't really provide enough mass to drill for days through hard rock. Simple physics.

Drills are expensive business no matter how you go about it. The Banka design is the only drill I know of that brings the cost of drilling down to where a small miner can afford exploration without mortgaging their house to see what's in a few holes.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pondering the ease of using equipment in general for prospecting. I already wore out my joints working for a living and want to make prospecting an enjoyable endeavor. It's just another thing I'm rattling around in my noggin.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah so I've been researching the price on some of these machines and that's an eye opener. Even the used ones are a bit cost prohibitive. No pun intended.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a US rep for PHQ and they now own the Winkie line phqglobal | mining equipment | rock drill | jackleg | diamon drill | drill parts | stopper | plugger | sinker | pneumatic drill | pusher leg | winkie drill | packsack I think we've sold a couple in the Arizona territory, which isn't my territory. I believe I'll have to see what my cost is on these Winkie's and get busy informing some of my customers I can quote these things. I must be getting lazy and forgetting what products I can provide. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Last time the uranium mines were going some of them still used these old CP 65's. You can maybe find these for a bargain, but you'll need a lot of air which ain't all that cheap either to run the thing. This one's already gone, but I believe I know where there might be a couple collecting dust.

http://store.e-airtool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1971

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope everyone had a good Christmas and is in good spirits. I was thinking that test boring veins may not be as feasible or the best way to go about testing them. The portability of equipment is paramount to us old men.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My thought is if it's got values just chase it till it gots no more.
Lot can be done with pick, hamer n chisel, even more so when it's yellow in the rock.
Gt....

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe the most cost effective tool for myself at this stage of the game would be a gas powered rock dril/chisel. I'm still in my infancy as far as prospecting is concerned and when and if I graduate to the next level I will expand the tooling portion of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread