The old mine maintenance department

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Freeport still employs about 900 at Bagdad. Being one of the largest copper deposits in the world only market price will ever shut it down. Freeport is hiring at Bagdad.

In Congress a friend is working on opening up the Trantula again. Probably be a few years before there will be mining jobs there.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freeport still employs about 900 at Bagdad. Being one of the largest copper deposits in the world only market price will ever shut it down. Freeport is hiring at Bagdad.

In Congress a friend is working on opening up the Trantula again. Probably be a few years before there will be mining jobs there.

Heavy Pans
Did your friend know any of the Stoughton's running the Congress mine, back in the late 1980s and early 90s ?

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did your friend know any of the Stoughton's running the Congress mine, back in the late 1980s and early 90s ?

I've heard him speak of them. He was working as geologist for Barrick at the time but it's a small industry and it's his home ground. :thumbsup:

I never met any of that crew. Are they related to the original Congress Stoughtons (1880's)?

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard him speak of them. He was working as geologist for Barrick at the time but it's a small industry and it's his home ground. :thumbsup:

I never met any of that crew. Are they related to the original Congress Stoughtons (1880's)?

Heavy Pans
I've never heard the Stoughton's go back that far with involvement of the Congress mine, but they might have. I still deal with one of the Stoughton's who's a mine engineer with Martin Marietta, which is a major rock and aggregate producer. I'll ask him that the next time I see him, as he's a regular customer with that company now. His dad was the one in charge of the Congress last time it was in operation. His dad was nicknamed Shout'n Stoughton back when that mine last ran.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread