A beautifal place to setup your jaw crusher.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took this as I was leaving a mine-site in the San Juan's of Colorado a week ago. I was thinking, man I wouldn't mind overseeing that crusher with all that wonderful scenery all around, under this gorgeous high altitude sky. Some mining jobs do have some perks at certain times of the year that is. I worked above timberline at a mine long ago, so come winter, it really ain't all that pleasant during that time of the year. I thought about putting a note in the suggestion box saying it would be better if we moved the mine to Florida, because of all the problems that come along during the freezing cold winter.

Attachments

• san juan crusher.jpg
    san juan crusher.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 101

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a great picture. We went to the San Juans a couple weeks ago. I sure wish some of the bigger mines were going full bore, we would seriously consider moving there.

Snow is on it's way tomorrow and if it's anything like last winter it won't stop till June. Woo Hoo first time this fall setting the alarm clock 1/2 an hour early to check traffic/ traction laws.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree tamrock. Beautiful pic.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great picture. We went to the San Juans a couple weeks ago. I sure wish some of the bigger mines were going full bore, we would seriously consider moving there.

Snow is on it's way tomorrow and if it's anything like last winter it won't stop till June. Woo Hoo first time this fall setting the alarm clock 1/2 an hour early to check traffic/ traction laws.
What part of the state you living?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Denver, working in Empire
Well, this place is just about to begin in about two weeks and they'll be looking for help, ya won't be running some high tech Swedish machine, but an American made jackleg instead. I think it was maybe 15+ years ago now I sold some jackleg parts to the mine your at. They were doing some small cut-outs. After that the function of the handheld machine is now banned from use on the property. I worked at the other mine up on Fremont when it was underground. When they sold off the equipment in an auction the jacklegs were won by a scrap dealer who hauled them away in several dump truck loads.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I want to be a "true miner" though I would like to learn how to run a jackleg for a couple shifts and see what's actually involved in the smaller mines. If something needs to be jacklegged here now a contractor does it. My job title is pump mechanic though I do a little bit of everything and I'm attempting to get on our electrical crew. Hence the need for working at a bigger mine.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I seen your little electric pumps they use up there to pump the headings when I was trying out a Mitsubishi bolter bit to propose to the contractor on site. Those guys are our biggest customer with all the jobs they got going. I sell these pneumatic pumps and empire use to run them, but not anymore as you guys went with the electric pumps. Maybe I need to look into an electric model to pitch up there?. You made a good choice with the title of being a mine electrician. There's shut down mines now with only a skeleton crew and they're electricians to keep the pumps going, so if the mine ever restarts it won't be flooded or there to treat the water before it's discharged. God forbid you don't want your property producing any raw mine water spillage into the environment these days. There's guys I stop by to shoot the bull with when I'm down in the 4 corners uranium mines and they've been down there getting a paycheck for years now maintaining a non producing mine.

Attachments

• NTG50.jpg
    NTG50.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I want to be a "true miner" though I would like to learn how to run a jackleg for a couple shifts and see what's actually involved in the smaller mines. If something needs to be jacklegged here now a contractor does it. My job title is pump mechanic though I do a little bit of everything and I'm attempting to get on our electrical crew. Hence the need for working at a bigger mine.

We always looking for electricians down here if you want to come down this way. If ya do, you might get some experience in that jackleg sooner than you think. Lol.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always looking for electricians down here if you want to come down this way. If ya do, you might get some experience in that jackleg sooner than you think. Lol.
He's already a fmi hand. I know of others who've made the switch. One I know, got him one of those spiffy office jobs down in Phoenix.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He's already a fmi hand. I know of others who've made the switch. One I know, got him one of those spiffy office jobs down in Phoenix.

The hell with an office job. I'd go nuts. I'd rather be underground where I belong.

I know barrellroll is an FMI hand, easy transfer if he wants to get away from the snow.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hell with an office job. I'd go nuts. I'd rather be underground where I belong.

I know barrellroll is an FMI hand, easy transfer if he wants to get away from the snow.
He'd no doubt be getting away from the snow that place gets. For years I really liked the peace and serenity of the rocky mountain snow, but in recent years not so much anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions