>>Impact Crusher Owners<< I have some questions for ya

Evan83

Oct 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I are gonna be building an impact crusher over the next couple weekends. He's got access to endless scrap and fancy cutting and bending tools at his work and I've got the tools to put it together. We're leaning towards the octagon shape over round, belt driven with a clutch (belt tension pulley w/ lever), and something other than chain for hammers, maybe using an old cutting edge off a bucket? not sure yet. Thank you.

My questions for you:

-what shape?
-dimensions (diameter & width of housing)?
-engine hp?
-flywheel?
-belt or direct drive?
-with or without clutch mechanism?
-gear ratio for belt drive?
-single or multiple belt?
-any noticeable belt slip?
-shaft size?
-shaft offset from center?
-how many hammers?
-spacing between hammers?
-what are the impact hammers made of and how do they hold up
-any internal armor or hard-facing on hammers?
-intake and discharge sizes?
-intake and discharge placement on housing?

-what are the things you like about yours?
-what would you change about it?
-high wear parts?
-any incurred damage?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of questions so here goes.

Shape? 100 percent up to you. Pipe is easy to work with but has limited thickness. An octagon shape can be built out of whatever thickness you want. Impact mills are high wear so the thicker the better.

Dimensions? Again up to you. The bigger mills have higher throughput but lose portability.

Engine horsepower? Depends on throughput and feed size. I used a 13 horse Honda for a mill 19" in diameter x 8" wide. Feed size was three inch. No formula I know of, just used what I had.

Belt vs direct drive? One this I'm gonna recommend a belt drive with a 2:1 reduction. I used two belts more maximum power transfer. You would be surprised what a piece of metal spinning at 3600 rpm will punch through.

Belt slip? This is a function of belt tension. For something like this, 3/8" of belt deflection would be fine. Tight enough to transfer power bit loose enough to slip if something jams up.

Shaft size? I used a piece of 1 1/2" 4140 shafting because it's what I had. Worked fine.

Shafr was placed dead center.

How many hammers? I used 4 placed at the four compass points.

Homer construction? Standard carbon steel with a piece of AR500 plate welded to it for the impact surface. Worked fine for about two tons then had to be replaced.

Internal armoring? Nope. Used a piece of thick walled pipe. Eventually it wore through. This will happen to any impact mill without internal armoring .

Intake and discharge? 3 inch intake 100 mesh minus output single pass.

Placement? Mine was on the motor side. The intake should feed on the down stroke of the hammers. If not, you run the risk of a rock literally being thrown back in your face. Discharge? I placed mine about halfway up one side. Stopped the build up on the screen so it was better protected and didn't plug up.

What did I like? It would smash rocks up as fast as I could throw them in. Worked really well fornwhatbit was intended for.

What would I change? Build the shell out of thicker metal or armor the inside with replaceable AR500 plates.

High wear parts? Anything that either impacts the rocks or gets impacted by the rocks.

Incurred damage? Yea. Wore a damn hole in the shell.

The smaller the rocks you feed an impact mill the less wear you have so keep that in mind. While impact mills do work as a primary crusher, they are far more effective as a secondary crusher breaking up 1" minus.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572016579.472710.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572016599.710143.jpg

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was the one I built , just under $600 for every thing , I had a supply of scrap chain’s .
All 1/4” steel , 16” x 4” , tried clevises , but $40 every week and not all made the same , was more trouble then worth , chains lasted around 6-10 hours depending on materials crushed.
Over all worked very well , set up to turn around 4,000 rpm ,
crush 5 gallon bucket in less then 5 min. Made it to handle up to 3” rock . The harder the rocks the better . Welded cutting edge scrap in drum for impacting faces .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread