Goodyguy,s Brake drum impact mill

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIY Brake Drum Impact Mill

Needed a small inexpensive rock crusher for some sampling.

Now that I live in an RV and have limited tools and no welder, I decided to make it out of a brake drum.
To save on cost I scavenged most of the materials from scrap yards and dumpsters. It's not pretty, but should be good enough for some light duty sampling.

bc1.jpg 004.jpg
789.jpg side.jpg bc2.jpg

08.jpg 007.jpg rcm.jpg
003.jpg Kit7357-2.jpg 39.jpg

Sample run, first pass..........
From This 007.jpg To This ..... 008.jpg in seconds :icon_thumleft:

After classifying will re-run material that is 50+

Parts list.....
6.5 hp honda gx200 off an old powerwasher with a busted pump, flat tires, & bad hose $20 - yard sale
2" Square tube $1 - Bulldog Recycling
12" dia. Brake Drum $3 -Bulldog Recycling
Steel plates $2 ea. - Bulldog Recycling
angle Iron $1 - Bulldog Recycling
3/4" Steel Shaft $1 - Bulldog Recycling
Ordered (2) 3/4" bearings $13.00 - ebay
3/4" X 2.5" steel drive pulley $12.95 - Tractor Supply
3/4" x 2.5" die cast pulley $10.95 - Tractor Supply
V belt $7.95 - Tractor Supply
Fuel line for gasket around front of drum $2.50 - True value Hardware
Hinge for ore chute lid .99 - True Value Hardware
3/8" Chain $5 - Swap Meet
Bicycle inner tube $0 - from dumpster behind bicycle shop
Assorted hardware, nuts, bolts, washers, screws $17 - Tractor Supply
Built the platform to mount the unit onto from scrap wood salvaged from dumpsters $0

Total cost $100.44

Tools used:
Angle grinder with cut off wheel, sabre saw, 1/2" Drill, Socket wrench, Box/open end wrenches, allen wrench, screw driver, measuring tape, square, pencil.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Many years ago my kids would watch videos of this guy. He was posting videos of blending all kinds of stuff. It's somewhat amazing what a blender can do which gave me an idea of constructing a rock pulverizing device. Also at a trade show some time ago I saw a guy demonstrating a mill that pretty much was a heavy duty blender. He must of failed at his quest to produce many sales of it as I can't find anything like it today online.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3OmpnfL5PCw

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done on such a small budget and no welding. Where there's a will.....
Hope there was some color in that first run.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add some impact zones in there it will work better. But I like it

You are right!
That would make it work better. :icon_thumright:
My problem with this one is that I would have to re-do the chain mount or go to smaller chain to get the needed clearance.

Right now the chain clearance is only 1/16" not enough to clear an impact plate. Seems to work good enough the way it is though so guess I'll leave it alone for now.
The last one I built had two impact plates welded onto the drum and it worked great!

shearplates.jpg

Thanks for the input.
GG~

Last edited:

orgwayne

Greenie
Mar 31, 2014
philomath
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT/ Garrett Pro-Pointer, won Pointer at Gold show in Roseburg Oregon 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hay that is really a nice unit , even if u break the drum , there's lot more
Good Job , Snoopt me , what kind of RV ?? U don't need to answer
Wayne

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your a genius. I lived in an RV park in Phoenix while I was teaching, my neighbor had a welder he kept in his trailer, it was a flux core (just a thought)

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582339316.265655.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582339342.289635.jpg

Looks a lot like mine .

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like mine .

The side discharge idea is from your design. :icon_thumleft:
I use a bicycle innertube stretched over the bottom of the square discharge tube to send the powder into a 5 gallon bucket through a hole in the lid to keep the dust contained.

GG~

Last edited:

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The side discharge idea is from your design. :icon_thumleft:
I use a bicycle innertube stretched over the bottom of the square discharge tube to send the powder into a 5 gallon bucket through a hole in the lid to keep the dust contained.

GG~

Looks like it all done the job !
You still in Kingman ?

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AWESOME BUILD GG!! Talk about an inspiration right there! I have a little 3hp motor sitting around from an old pump. I've been thinking about turning it into a crusher, and now I have another project for down the road thanks to you! :D

I see the holes for your side outlet. Did you just drill those out? How was it drilling through the drum? And last but not least, How did you connect the exit chute to the drum? A bolt through both just so its snug to the drum? I see the rubber "gasket", but no clear connection point except possibly the angle iron down at the bottom? Everything else looks pretty clear cut! VERY nice for not having a welder.

Lastly, looks like the legs on the table are removable for storage too? Love it.

mexgold

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
received_1093549997653699.jpeg
I talk to you a few years back. Dunno if You remember Me. I'm in Bakersfield CA.
Back then I invited you to come to southern Mexico with Me since I would need a smart and DIY guy like you. The offer still stands. Seems to Me that this is the opportunity of your life. This is like paradise for a rock hound in all aspects. Pretty quiet no crime drama as in the rest of the country. Glad you're at the best of your game. Kudos to You Amigo.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread