Please Help rock ID

catfishjim90

Mar 29, 2011
Found this 48 pound stone gold prospecting in a bedrock creek 70 miles north west of St.Louis Missouri. It is roughly 12“ x 7“ . Weighs 48 pounds. Highly magnetic. Has a 1/4” outer crust.
Here are hopefully good pictures of the stone. One piece has been cut off.
thank you
Catfish A540961E-E061-4A3F-99A2-5D78D1E74AA0.jpeg B90B3053-8FB4-4079-9422-4BA87583D7B6.jpeg 9F53E9F2-3B7E-4996-B791-676AE07C8F05.jpeg F4158CD4-68C8-4FF9-8D31-7A4C99ED50AE.jpeg 30E9A221-A218-4FC9-9274-6B4CC2FD9A7E.jpeg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this 48 pound stone gold prospecting in a bedrock creek 70 miles north west of St.Louis Missouri. It is roughly 12“ x 7“ . Weighs 48 pounds. Highly magnetic. Has a 1/4” outer crust.
Here are hopefully good pictures of the stone. One piece has been cut off.
thank you
Catfish View attachment 1798869 View attachment 1798870 View attachment 1798871 View attachment 1798872 View attachment 1798873

Is that thing really blue inside? I am color blind but that is the color I see.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
highly magnetic. means iron will stick to it. if it is attracted to a magnet it could be ferromagnetic. Some sort of mineral with a lot of iron.

Magnets will attract to certain minerals that aren't technically magnetic.

A minerals magnetic property is based on how it's magnetic field affects certain objects that would react to its type of magnetism.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sedimentary. Your sample appears to be illuminated with UV to me. My guess is calcium carbonate precipitated into mudrock or formed as a concretion, either way it would be attracted to a magnet as calcium carbonate (calcite) is diamagnetic in nature.

Also the fine crystalization is consistant with calcium carbonate concretion.
Plus the blue/purple color shown above under UV is consistant with that displayed by certain examples of calcium carbonate under UV.

Tough to make a definitive ID without a hands on inspection. Educated guess only.

Hope this helps,
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

catfishjim90

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks Goodyguy. For the info.
this is such a weird rock. It is strongly attracted to a magnet.
and very heavy for its size 48 pounds . I illuminated the picture with a regular flashlight no UV.
Where could I take it To get a definite ID. I would even pay. Thanks again Catfishjim

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and very heavy for its size 48 pounds . I illuminated the picture with a regular flashlight no UV.
Where could I take it To get a definite ID. I would even pay. Thanks again Catfishjim

You say it is strongly attracted to a magnet. Do you mean as strongly as a magnet attaches itself to steel?

Look up nickel minerals or ores and see if any of those descriptions match what you have. Nickel itself is magnetic and heavy so it makes sense to me that the minerals would be too to some extent. You may live near a university that has a geology department with someone who would be willing to look at what you have or just the smaller hunk you sawed out and ID it for you.

I bet that slabs or cabochons of the rock would polish up nice. Retirement centers often have lapidary groups that may be willing to do some of the work including setting them in jewelry pieces.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm stumped, the color and the magnetic properties dont seem to go together.
Arizau gave you great advice, If it were mine I would be taking it to a university for positive ID.

I have never seen anything like it.
Please let us know what you find out. Very interesting specimen.

GG~

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be an iron precipitate like hematite rounded into that form. The UV light is reflecting off of it, giving it a bluish tint.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be an iron precipitate like hematite rounded into that form. The UV light is reflecting off of it, giving it a bluish tint.

The OP said NO UV light. Regular flashlight only!

That's what stumped me. I assumed it was under a UV light .

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks more like an intrusive rock than sedimentry

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks more like an intrusive rock than sedimentry

The overall shape combined with a crystaline interior and a outer shell with voids between it and the inner mineral still has me leaning toward sedimentary, like a geode. Although intrusive is a viable possibility. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I just found out what it is.
Basalt rock ingenious intrusive?

Was that conclusion arrived at after a hands on inspection by an expert?

Basalt is most commonly grey or Black but can be viewed as brown or rust colored after weathering if iron oxides are present which would explain the magnetic attraction.

Have you been able to identify the blue mineral?
Also curious as to whether the magnet is only attracted to the outer shell and not the inner mineralization or both?

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread