OP
OP
B

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so would an old DuPont blasting machine set off the serria blaster. The blasting machine in question is the type where you pull the handle up and then push down to set off you caps.

Yes it should. Those rack type machines were rated for something like 25-100 caps. Blasting caps are easier to set off, but it should still work.

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it should. Those rack type machines were rated for something like 25-100 caps. Blasting caps are easier to set off, but it should still work.

I would have to dig it out to be sure but I want to say that mine was rated for 30 caps.

OP
OP
B

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all of the feedback - A new article with more micro-blasting tips is going to be in the October ICMJ Mining Journal. Y'all that subscribe should be getting it this week.

Next month, I'm going to do a review of Kinepak 2-part explosives. This is a pretty neat product that has been around since the early 80s. It's basically 2 ingredients that aren't regulated as explosives at all until you mix them. When mixed, it has around the same power as a stick of 60% dynamite, possibly a little bit more as it peaks quickly and likes to shatter things.

It seems like one of the big hangups for blasting as a small miner is spending $15K on approved magazines before you can even take delivery of product. This stuff can be stored anywhere you want, and the caps can be kept in a type 4 "Job Box" mag that will maybe cost you $400 to set up.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could be interested in the Kinepak. I don't recall ever using it.

Edit: looks like Kinepak is no longer made. However, the new liquid based Texpak looks real interesting. Simple blasting cap detonation at 21,000 fps. That outta break some rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could be interested in the Kinepak. I don't recall ever using it.

Edit: looks like Kinepak is no longer made. However, the new liquid based Texpak looks real interesting. Simple blasting cap detonation at 21,000 fps. That outta break some rocks.

They are now back with a new owner, Dimension Supply out of Boalsburg, PA. I sent you a PM with the contact info. They now sell either the 1/3 or 1/2lb units 75/case, with liquid and solid separately. They also have very good prices on caps, and can ship both FEDEX. Cost seems to be a little over what you'd pay for a cast booster of same weight.

I'm sure the other stuff works too, and boost ANFO just fine. I checked with ATF, and you can in fact store caps classed as 1.4 in a converted "Job Box" type 4 mag. So you could keep your caps there and just lock up the binaries in whatever container you wish.

Last edited:

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are now back with a new owner, Dimension Supply out of Boalsburg, PA. I sent you a PM with the contact info. They now sell either the 1/3 or 1/2lb units 75/case, with liquid and solid separately. They also have very good prices on caps, and can ship both FEDEX. Cost seems to be a little over what you'd pay for a cast booster of same weight.

I'm sure the other stuff works too, and boost ANFO just fine. I checked with ATF, and you can in fact store caps classed as 1.4 in a converted "Job Box" type 4 mag. So you could keep your caps there and just lock up the binaries in whatever container you wish.

So do you need a license to buy and use the kinepaks

OP
OP
B

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So do you need a license to buy and use the kinepaks

Yes. You need to get an ATF "Type 20" license (Manufacturer of High Explosives). The process takes 4-6 weeks and isn't that difficult assuming you have a clean record and the fee is $200 for 3 years. Your state and/or town may have additional requirements. The process is outlined here:

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/apply-license

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread