Exploring the Delamar mine

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Delamar mine is famous for the amount of gold that was extracted, but infamous for it's dry mining technique that killed many of its workers from silicosis. Those deaths lead to it's nickname "The Widowmaker". The mine primarily operated between 1898 and 1909, and extracted approximately $25 million in gold. For me, one of the most striking facts about the mine is that all of the equipment, timber, etc came in by wagon from 150 miles away. The closest railhead was in Milford Utah. Every time I see the massive volume of timbers used throughout the mine, I think about the amount of effort it took to transport that timber to the mine site and then place it deep in the mine.

A couple of weekends ago we headed up to Delamar for a bit exploring. There is so much to see at the ghost town. The ruins of miners cabins and businesses dot the valley. This is a good destination if you like old ghost towns. We headed underground to explore the main haulage and a couple of the lower levels. This video only scratches the surface (that's a pun right there....) of what there is to see there. I hope you enjoy seeing how extensive this mine is!

Joanne

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joanne, Let's see a close up of your new ring from John at the Florence mine!
I understand that the gold came from the Delamar.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure! I've always wanted to share my adventures and now I can. Really glad you enjoyed it!

Joanne

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Joanne, Let's see a close up of your new ring from John at the Florence mine!
I understand that the gold came from the Delamar.

GG~

It's beautiful! And super amazing that it's Delamar gold. I couldn't believe when Jon gave it to me. I love Delamar so it has extra special meaning.

20200804_192312.jpg

Click on the image to see it at a higher magnification.

I shot video in the Florence mine, so that will be coming out in a week or so. I'm working on the edit right now.

Joanne

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's beautiful! And super amazing that it's Delamar gold. I couldn't believe when Jon gave it to me. I love Delamar so it has extra special meaning.

View attachment 1854072

Click on the image to see it at a higher magnification.

I shot video in the Florence mine, so that will be coming out in a week or so. I'm working on the edit right now.

Joanne

Awesome ring !
Looking forward to your video, the Florence mine is yet another mine slowly being reclaimed by nature and I'm sure your video will testify to it.

Go for the Gold :3barsgold:
GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread