Micro blasting

Load77

Apr 10, 2021
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if anyone has used one of these?
Obviously it can’t blast as much as high explosives. But I was thinking the small drill holes, cheaper cost per blast could be a feasible option for the small operator.
The drilling would be faster and easier, so maybe being able to do more blasts per day, and the lower cost of operating could help offset the difference in using high explosives. Not to mention permits. Insurance, etc.

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apparently Oregon minds think alike. You're asking the same questions I asked. BlasterJ covered micro blasting in the ICMJ and in a thread here if I can link it.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/hard-rock-mining/630657-blasting-rock-breaking-8.html. Another good thread is A Little More for the Small Miner by Mad Machinist. Great discussion about tramming, blasting, mucking and equipment. I have a micro blaster and have used it but mostly to test and pop some difficult rocks out of roads. It does break a boulder up pretty quickly but from what I've read blasting a face might not go so well. Don't know haven't tried it for that purpose.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apparently Oregon minds think alike. You're asking the same questions I asked. BlasterJ covered micro blasting in the ICMJ and in a thread here if I can link it.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/hard-rock-mining/630657-blasting-rock-breaking-8.html. Another good thread is A Little More for the Small Miner by Mad Machinist. Great discussion about tramming, blasting, mucking and equipment. I have a micro blaster and have used it but mostly to test and pop some difficult rocks out of roads. It does break a boulder up pretty quickly but from what I've read blasting a face might not go so well. Don't know haven't tried it for that purpose.

As for face blasting it is necessary to have a larger relief hole or several holes around the blast hole so that the blast energy has a chance to expand to crack the rock between them and not just shoot out the blast hole like a cannon. Once you have an opening then that is the relief for future blasts. You can google relief hole blasting technique for more info.

Good luck.

Last edited:

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As for face blasting it is necessary to have a larger relief hole or several holes around the blast hole so that the blast energy has a chance to expand to crack the rock between them and not just shoot out the blast hole like a cannon. Once you have an opening then that is the relief for future blasts. You can google relief hole blasting technique for more info.

Good luck.

^What everyone else has said. If you want to break into a hard face, you need to create relief. You're going to need a drill that can make ~1.5" holes at some point. A big SDS Max electric can do it, but it's slow. A Pionjar gas-powered drill works if you are drilling vertically. An air drill and a tow-behind compressor is the best, but not exactly self-contained or stealthy. You can also try expanding grout for breaking out that first wedge of material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread