Electrowinning

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been kicking an idea on this around amd finally got a chance to sit down and talk to my little brother about it. He's s the sparky so he should know.

So everyone has probably seen the videos on Boobtube about rewinding microwave oven transformers. Well, it pretty much works the same between AC and DC power as far as Ohm's law is concerned.

So get a 50 amp bridge rectifier from Amazon, preferably with the heating then follow the directions to hook up a 110 volt power cord.

Remove the secondary windings.from a microwave oven transformer.amd replace with 1.75 turns of 2/0 welding cable. Use welding cable as the insulation is rated for 105 degrees Celsius not the standard 60 or 90 degrees.

Feed the outlet terminals from the bridge rectifier into the primary coil of the transformer and viola! instant low voltage, high current power.

So 110 volts at.30 amps is 3300 watts. By Ohm's Law if that 110 volts is reduced to 2.2 volts then the current has to rise to make up the rest of the missing wattage.

So 110 volts times 30 amps equals 3300 watts divided by 2.2 equals 1500 amps. Now figure 75% conversion efficiency (low end efficiency) and you still have 1100 amps.

This is some very high power stuff so if you play with this you do so at.your own risk but basically this is just a bigger and badder battery charger.

Got some stuff ordered for when I can get around to this.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure that you properly discharge the high voltage capacitor inside the microwave before you put your hands in there!

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend in our neck of the woods has a few EW units on hand. My business partner shipped a bunch of copper ore from his old claim to an assay lab as reference material, and experimented with SX/EW of some of the remainder. Interesting method to fiddle with.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't messed with this much as the docs thought I had a full blown heart attack on June 14. Just concentrating on getting healthy right now. The docs are still not 100% sure what happened.

This will work from conversations with my brother but would be kinda hard to control. And with further research while being laid up here, about 4 milliamps per square inch of cathode area is a good starting point.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MM I hope your feeling better as each day goes by! I'll be keeping you & yours in my prayer's for a QUICK & TOTAL RECOVERY !

I'm getting better and better each day. Gonna take awhile to rebuild some endurance though. I'll be okay here.in a little while.

So in digging into this and through my "junk pile" I ran across an old ATX computer power supply that puts out 5 volts at 26 amps. By the math, that is enough for 6,500 square inches of cathode surface. Way more than we would ever need as 12"x12" is 144 square inches. Something to dig into this fall when it cools of a little here. Monsoon season jn Arizona sucks. Both stupidly hot and humid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions