DIY powered haulage

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend of mine who builds off-road wheelchairs told me about this. Apparently, there is a whole line of low-speed, high-torque hub motors being produced for things like powered wheelbarrows. These could be a cheap and easy way to start a small powered mine hauler build:

https://www.peipeiscooter.com/16-in...w-speed-power-torque-hub-motor-phub-16ps.html

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same company offers this for $439

h07be6f01a27e4834a4cd5e6a7d9ec326q.jpg

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else smell a Chinese factory when looking at that picture? Hard to believe you could buy the tracks for that.

OP
OP
B

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone else smell a Chinese factory when looking at that picture? Hard to believe you could buy the tracks for that.

They are definitely a "Shenzhen Special." Whether they are any good I have no idea. I doubt there is anything domestic like this available, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat. I was thinking of putting some kind of powered wheels on an engine hoist so I could pick up big rocks and get them in my truck and bring them home to landscape my back yard... My neighbor ordered in some big rocks for his landscaping and the landscape materials company dropped them off in his driveway and then he found out they were to big and heavy to move. He finally had to bust the big ones up with a sledgehammer and use a two wheel dolly to wheel them in place.

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've considered a powered wheelbarrow for a particular job (extracting around fifty tons of low-grade stope rabble from a narrow slusher drift). They're a neat solution and I can certainly see the appeal.

Other alternatives are a Bobcat S70 (my review of those is...less than complementary, but they work, mostly), Bobcat MT85 (haven't gotten on one yet, but better machines than an S70), or my slusher (requires more setup and a compressor nearby).

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately, there is no cheap or easy way out of this one. For as long as I have been looking at this and kicking around different ideas, it all comes back to something having to be purpose built for this using different aspects from amny different areas.

Best idea I have come up with so far is a modified Taylor Dunn cargo vehicle that is battery powered by a 12 battery 6 volt golf cart battery set up rewired in series-parallel to produce 36 volts. This would produce enough power for an 8 hour shift. But the vehicle would be limited to a 1 ton payload with MAJOR frame modifications.

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whether in ventilation for diesel, a compressor for pneumatic, or batteries for electric, you've got to pay the piper with underground haulage.

Unless you've got a dedicated muck/haul crew serving multiple faces, it's likely that you'll only run your haulage equipment for a couple hours a day when drifting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread