Wausau Wi Mine??? please any info would be helpful

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been talking with geoligists in the WI area and he sent me a message back recently.....

I am quite intrested in any info i can get on this specifically anything denoting locations.

ME: Especially wondering about the one just East of Wausau.

Geoligist: My memory on this may not be totally accurate, but I recall the discovery being too small (low millions of tones) with average gold values of possible interest, but that the small size of the discovery and the high cost of mining eliminated it from much additional consideration. There was reference to an old shaft mine there from a century ago, but I am not aware of any structures or reliable information ... seems to be one for local history buffs.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would think in that area it would have been a copper mine, possible silver and gold, included, ive seen maps, like at a fire dept. that shows some old shafts in local areas, there should be info from local gov with the listing of location, what the were looking at the county level

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know theres a stream nearby you can pan for minor amounts of gold so im hoping theres a nearby source. Might you know of the best way to get ahold of the people i would need to talk to?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
you have to remember the glaciers really did a number on the grounds around here, some of the loose gold here could be from canada, i would think most of the local gold is comming out of glacial deposits, even though there is native hard rock gold, only way to find oud is start hitting streams, chech thoughs closest to you first, look for the black sand deposits and start panning

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
All the gold we have found in the Wausau area is flour gold, most likely glacial till from Upper Michigan and Ontario. I think I know the area you are talking about, it was a creek that was suction dredged for gold and they only did about a half mile of it. Apparently the values weren't there because they stopped. If you are looking for real paying values of gold in WI there are really only two specific areas that I know of and I cannot talk about either one of them because I sold equipment to the company that tested the locations and I agreed not to disclose locations. One of the areas you will find no information about at all on the web, the other location has a lot of published information available and I'm pretty sure someone else who has been responding to you could tell you more if he chooses to...........he lives pretty close to the area. :wink:

I know you are new to this, but I think you are expecting too much for the state you live in. Most of us head to Indiana (where are native gold has been pushed by the glaciers), Michigan (where the laws are screwy enough that I won't even bring others because I don't want to be responsible for possible illegal activity), North Carolina (they love us down there!), or California (they tolerate us). Wisconsin is an exercise in frustration for gold, but the outings allow us to share ideas, food, and friendship.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i had the option to go to different states =( unfortunatly money restraints wont allow it =(

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should i put money on the idea he's posting in this topic? :D
I wont bother him.....but i will put hope in the idea of him messaging me :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alpha105 said:
Should i put money on the idea he's posting in this topic? :D
I wont bother him.....but i will put hope in the idea of him messaging me :icon_sunny:

Then again i wouldnt sound serious if i didnt try =P

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
MARATHON COUNTY: Gold was found as tiny grains 0.5 mm in maximum diameter in a pocket in a pegmatite dike along the east edge of the Wausau pluton. The gold apparently formed by the alteration of the gold telluride, calaverite (Falster, 1987).
- Gold is reported as occurring at several localities around Mosinee and Wausau in Sec. 8 T.26N R.7E, Sec. 32 T.27N R.7E, Sec. 13 T.27N R.8E and Sec. 24 T.28N R.7E (Dutton and Bradley, 1970).
- Gold in quartz veins occurs at the Reef property prospected by Niranda about 12 miles E. of Wausau. The explored reserves were estimated at between 120,000- 140,000 ounces. Some of the gold is as visible flakes and small crystals (Anonymous, 1991).
- Gold associated with pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite and malachite is found in chlorite schist near Eason just southwest of the center of Sec. 26 T.29N R.9E. A 200-foot deep shaft was sunk at this locality, but production, if any, was minor (LaBerge and Myers, 1983).

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- Gold in quartz veins occurs at the Reef property prospected by Niranda about 12 miles E. of Wausau. The explored reserves were estimated at between 120,000- 140,000 ounces. Some of the gold is as visible flakes and small crystals (Anonymous, 1991).

Anyone aware on the location of this?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
12 miles east is on the Eau Claire river....next town is Birnamwood....Cannot find any Reef Family in Marathon County....Closest name Reef is in Aniwa.....

Marathon County

County Route U road cut. This road cut in the border zone of the Stettin Pluton on County Route U east of the Little Rib River, west of Wausau (SW 1/4 sec. 18 T.29N. R.7E.) exposes nepheline syenite pegmatites, syenite, and syenitized country rock: apatite, biotite, cancrinite, epidote, fayalite, monazite, nepheline (pinkish grains 1-2 cm across), riebeckite, plagioclase, potassium feldspar, sodic pyroxene (Myers et al. 1984).

County Z quarries. Hornblende granite of the Wolf River batholith with locally pegmatitic phases is exposed in several quarries near Hatley (SE 1/4 sec. 18 and NE 1/4 sec. 19 T.29N. R.10E.): hornblende, potassium feldspar, quartz (Institute on Lake Superior Geology 1973).

Eason exploration. This 200-foot-deep abandoned mine shaft was sunk in mineralized chloritic schist near Eason (sec. 26 T.29N. R.9E.): chalcopyrite, chlorite, gold, malachite, pyrite, quartz, sphalerite (LaBerge and Myers 1983).

Employers Mutual outcrops. Outcrops of quartz syenite are abundant around the parking lot of Employers Mutual Insurance buildings on the west edge of Wausau (NW 1/4 SE 1/4 sec. 27 T.29N. R.7E.): fluorite, magnetite, potassium feldspar, sodic pyroxene, quartz (LaBerge and Myers 1983).

Fluorite quarry. This quarry exposes granitic rocks cut by pegmatites north of Wausau (NE sec. 6 T.29N. R.7E.): fluorapatite, fluorite, potassium feldspar, quartz (L. Brown, pers. com.).

Hamburg schist. Schist crops out along the Rib River west of Hamburg (sec. 14 T.30N. R.4E.): almandine, biotite, cordierite, quartz, staurolite (Weidman 1907b).

Little Chicago "nephrite" Outcrops of metamorphosed volcanic rocks occur along the Little Rib River near Little Chicago. Some material, a compact massive actinolite, was briefly marketed as jade: actinolite, calcite, chlorite, diopside, epidote, plagioclase, serpentine (Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey files; L. Brown, pers. com.).

Moonstone quarry. This abandoned quarry exposes pyroxene syenite near Stettin (SE 1/4 sec. 14 T.29N. R.6E.): aegirine-augite, arfvedsonite, anorthoclase (grains up to 35 cm long showing moonstone schiller), biotite, nepheline, riebeckite (LaBerge and Myers 1983; Myers et al. 1984; L. Brown, pets. com.).

Mosinee Hill quarry. This quarry west of Wausau (NW 1/4 sec. 26 T.26N. R.7E.) exposes a large quartzite roof pendant in granitic rocks of the Nine-Mile pluton: anatase, brookite, quartz (L. Brown, pers. com.).

Reef property. This hydrothermal deposit, known solely from drill core, occurs 12 miles east of Wausau: chalcopyrite, gold (visible grains to nuggets up to 1 cm across), pyrrhotite, quartz (Anonymous 1991; La Berge, pers. com.).

"Rotten granite" quarries. Many large quarries are dug in weathered granitic grus of the Wausau complex plutons such as in T.27N. R.6E (e.g., secs. 6, 7, and 12); T.28N. R.6E. (e.g., secs. 31, 32, 33, and 34); T.27N. R.5E. (e.g., secs. 1 and 12); and T.28N. R.7E (e.g., secs. 19 and 20). One of the best is the Wimmer No. 3 pit. The granites are pegmatitic and have many miarolitic cavities: aegirine, allanite, almandine, anatase, andradite, anhydrite, anorthoclase, arsenopyrite, barite, bavenite, bertrandite, beryl, biotite, boulangerite, brookite, calaverite, calcite, catapleiite, chalcopyrite, cheralite (bipyramidal microcrystals), chlorite, columbite-tantalite, cookeite, elbaite, eudialyte, fayalite, fluorapatite, fluorite, galena, goethite, gold, grossular, hastingsite, hematite, hisingerite, ilmenite, jamesonite, kaolin, lepidochrocite, magnetite, microlite, monazite, muscovite, natrolite, opal (fluorescent), parisite-synchisite (brownish microcrystals), phenakite (clear transparent crystals, rarely up to 1 inch long), pyrite, plagioclase, potassium feldspar (some "amazonite"), quartz (some large smoky crystals), romanechite, futile, sanidine, schorl, siderite, smectite, sphalerite, stilpnomelane, thorogummite, titanite, xenotime, zinnwaldite, zircon (Falster 1977, 1981, 1984a, 1985, 1986a, 1987; Falster and Simmons 1989; T. Buchholz, pers. com.).

Rozellville serpentine. Outcrops of serpentinite occur south of Rozellville (secs. 15, 16, and 22 T.26N. R4E.): chlorite, olivine, serpentine, talc (LaBerge and Myers 1983).

Stettin aegirine. Outcrops of aegirine-bearing syenite occur near Stettin in E 1/2 sec. 21 T.29N. R.6E.: aegirine, potassium feldspar (L. Brown, pers. com.).

Stettin nepheline syenite. Outcrops of gneissic nepheline syenite occur in NE 1/4 sec. 27 T.29N. R.6E. near Stettin: aegirine, nepheline, potassium feldspar, zircon (Geisse 1951; Vickers 1956; Stobbe and Murray 1956).

Stettin pegmatite. Syenitic pegmatite crops out near Stettin (NW 1/4 sec. 22 T.29N. R.6E.): aegirine, crocidolite, fluorite, "lithium mica," nepheline, plagioclase, potassium feldspar, pyrochlore, riebeckite, futile, zircon (Weidmann 1907a).

Thorium mine. Overgrown tailings piles of old thorium mine and adjacent outcrops expose syenitic rocks of the Stettin pluton: aegirine, apatite, goethite, ilmenite, magnetite, potassium feldspar, pyrochlore (yellow octahedra in vugs and in aegirine), thorite (red to orange prisms), zircon (T. Buchholz, pers. com.).

Zircon quarry. Syenite with nepheline syenite dikes is exposed in small quarry in SE1/4 SE sec. 22 T.29N. R.6E. near Stettin: aegirine, fluorite, nepheline, plagioclase, potassium feldspar, zircon (Stobbe and Murray 1956).

Zunker's pit. This small quarry is in syenite in the SW 1/4 SE 1/4 sec. 22 T.29N. R.6E. near Stettin: aegirine, fluorite, potassium feldspar, zircon (abundant brown euhedral crystals).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions