Man rescued from Sonora, CA mine

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
This occurred over this recent weekend...

Mines ARE dangerous.
Don't go in if you don't know what you're doing.
NEVER go into a mine when your partner is an idiot.

A 34-year-old Sonora man who fell down an abandoned mine shaft Friday was rescued early this morning, according to the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office.

Members of the Search and Rescue Team from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office arrived at the Columbia Airport at 12:20 this morning. They were immediately taken to the mine shaft, in the 21000 block of Jack Page Road just outside of Sonora.

At 5:50 a.m., Darvis Lee Jr., 34, was extricated from the mine and transported to Sonora Regional Medical Center with back and leg injuries.

Lee was inside the mine, about 200 feet from the entrance, when he fell down a shaft and injured his legs, said deputy Paul Tualla, a Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office spokesman.

Tualla said Tuolumne County Search and Rescue team members were able to talk to Lee and lower a helmet, to protect his head from debris, as well as lower food and water but lacked the specialized training and equipment to free him.

Lee and a friend went to the mine about 9 p.m. Friday. Lee went in to explore. About an hour later, the friend left, thinking Lee would be out shortly. Saturday morning, the friend realized Lee had not come home. The friend and Lee's parents went back to the mine and saw some of Lee's personal effects at the entrance.

They thought Lee still mightbe in the mine. A neighbor, Donald Nute, who is familiar with the mine, went to check for Lee and was able to locate the man.
<eof>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread