Anyone ever gold pan in Dahlonega, Georgia??

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been up there one time with a friend that used to do it all the time. He actually had some pretty good finds up there. Think at that time he belonged to the whatever the national prospectors thing was and they have several places up there. We went to a campground where he knew the guy and panned for awhile. I actually found a little myself. It was fun but hot.

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
SC Hunter

that is awesome!! I was reading about how the courthouse up there has gold in it made from those mountains! I would get my hands on one of those 3 dollar coins minted up there!

Larry

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hadn't read up on the place. It was about 15 years ago or longer. I wasn't thinking about the history of the place at that time but since have been looking into that area. Wish I owned a few acres up there along some of those streams that run through it. It would probably be worth another trip up there...

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Larsmed. I live in Cleveland, Ga. in white county. Have gold mined here for about 7 years. Just about every creek and river coming down out of the mountains on the south side have some form of gold in them. Have small creek in front of property and it is full of fine gold. Been to the museum several times and is a must see for prospectors. Lots of gold and old equipment on display. Consolidated gold mines in Dahlonega has a very nice underground tour of the old mine and is the site of one of the largest gold finds anywhere. Gold prospectors of America owns Loud mine near Cleveland and you can get a one time pass to see the property. You can also go to their outings for a small fee even if you do not belong. Weekend gold miners has several properties around Dahlonega. These properties have a great history of giving up gold. If you need more info let me know.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Takoda, It is pretty easy to spend a couple of easy days up here. There are quite a few vineyards,antique shops, and restaurants in Dahlonega. Make sure you eat at the Smith House in Danlonega. They discovered a gold mine under the main dining room floor this last year, covered up by the original owner to keep the mine a secret. Still has a lot of gold in it. All the rivers around Dahlonega were mined hard in the 1800's. Several with bucket line dredges. They go from shallow to deep holes. The good thing is that they all still contain a lot of gold. Everybody always wants to know where to go when most of all you just need to get here.

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Guys

thanks for your info. You are all a wealth of help to this wannabe gold panner...When i saw the toughest jobs show and they were in that creek panning, it got my blood pumping!!

Larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread