Utah Gold Claims for sale

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
There are two gold claims for sell on ebay. Both are located in Utah. I have zero knowledge here but if they were viable mines wouldn't the previous claim holders kept working the mines or would have sold it and the new owners would be working it? From the pictures it looks like an old operation that would need a good deal of investment to make it safe.

Ebay item numbers 170255694460, 170255707628

Any opinions?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems fishy to me but who knows, might be legit. What you need to do is go to the claim and take some ore yourself and have it assayed by someone you know. FIRST go with them to the BLM and make them show you proof they actually own the mine. Just a little research can pay off big time. Also ask them if they're proven reserves. The mine could have pinched out and that's why it was abandoned. The Range Rover thing in the 2nd listing seems funny too.

That first mine looks really really dangerous. If I were to pick I'd take the 2nd mine. The mines themselves are legit mines and have been extensively worked, you just need to make sure that the sellers actually own the mines. Also keep in mind these are in Death Valley. It's really really f'n hot there, and resources are miles and miles away. You'd probably have to set up a camper at the site. Help won't be close either if you get hurt. All things to take into consideration before buying something like this. Also you gotta think about how your gonna work the mine. How are you going to process the ore?

Don't worry about the maintenance fees, here in AZ you can write those off if you work the mine. I'd imagine UT is the same.

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Check out their website. They appear, at least on the surface, to be a legitimate not-for-profit organization. These claims are in Death Canyon, near the Utah/Nevada border. I would call the Utah BLM. They can tell you over the phone if there is an active claim if you have the township, section, range coordinates. It sounds like this is what this organization does. You might ask them if they have sold other claims and talk to the people that bought them. If they are legitimate they shouldn't have any problem giving you these references.

one_bad_rover

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi,
Just curious as to why they seem fishy? You can look up the claims on the BLM website using the LR2000 database, it will show you all claims, active, pending, closed.
This is Corey from GRE, and I just found this somewhat amusing as to the anxiety of buying a mine site, there are many sites out in Utah that lapse, or that we pick up based off of assays of what are in the mines. Both Corjess 1 and 2 are solid and Im curious as to why you think it might look dangerous? No cave ins are present, and there are no wood support structures in the mines, so they are staying up and intact totally due to the diligence of the miners that created the tunnels. As to the Rangie, well, it is a remote site, and this truck was for sale anyway, so I thought Id throw it in as an incentive to "buy it now". If thats fishy, than I guess it is.
As to existing value in the site, well, thats why there is an assay, the site was previously worked for palladium mainly, with lead as a side value. Gold and Silver in pockets is very common in this range, and has been found up and down the range, there are two mining districts in the range which shows evidence of something since its only about a 20 square mile range.
As to holding claims, well, I would suggest research, when the price of gold dropped into the 400-500 range, it became economically unfeasible for a lot of people to work their sites, also Silver took a huge dive and most people that we have worked with have said that silver needs to be in the $18-20 range to be a viable resource. Also, there are no more refineries in Utah, the last claims on these sites were in the 70s, they lapsed in conjunction with the closure of the Bauer refinery in Tooele. Id look at that as two things, 1, the pricing on gold and silver was quite low in the 70s and 2, when the refinery closed, it simply was too expensive to ship tons of ore out to Denver which is the next closest plant.
Its all a matter of what you want to do with it, and honestly, what your ambition is. There are many millionaire miners that were made overnight hitting sites that were "worked out". in the 1920s, the depression pushed a resurgance and many people began reworking mines and tunneling farther in, hitting viens, and pockets that were previously undiscovered.
Im not saying this site will make you a millionaire, but Im not saying it wont either. I think you will get out what you put into it. There is gold and silver, and platinum, lead and copper in the mine, and with work, you could open up the next pocket of super rich ore and make a killing. The metals are in the mountain, its just a matter of finding them. Having a tunnel you can work in is a bonus, try and get a permit to cut a 1000 foot adit into a mountian. Its going to cost you a minimum $100,000.00 in rec. bond alone, and that doesnt touch any of your work in exploration, drilling, saftey, msha, etc... To cut a mine like this today would easily cost you $500,000.00 and you would have no guarantee of hitting anything.
If you want to buy a site with guaranteed gold reserves, they are out there, I think the cheapest Ive seen is the one $20 mil on eBay, most of the other sites are looking at $50 mil to a nice one out in Gold Hill that is on the market for $175 mil.
Plus, with a minor plan of operations, you can secure the site and thats about as close as you can come to owning any BLM land at this time.
Im not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just give you a little insight as to what you are looking at. Seems like everyone assumes the worst now a days, and I think a little perspective is warranted. Claim filings and sales are huge right now, with the # of claims in Utah up almost 30,000 claims in 2007 from 2000. People are making money on gold and silver and working it themselves, instead of waiting for a govt. paycheck to pay their bills.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
one_bad_rover said:
Hi,
Just curious as to why they seem fishy?

Just a couple of things that were said. I'm cautious :)

Both Corjess 1 and 2 are solid and Im curious as to why you think it might look dangerous? No cave ins are present, and there are no wood support structures in the mines

That is why, no support structures. Dangerous. Rock cave in, fall on head, die.

As to existing value in the site, well, thats why there is an assay, the site was previously worked for palladium mainly, with lead as a side value. Gold and Silver in pockets

Gold and Silver pockets can and do pinch out very quick, netting very little profit depending on your operation. Palladium has a very high spot price but is extremely rare. I saw no other minerals other than Gold and Silver listed on the assay reports. Did I miss something?

I think you will get out what you put into it. There is gold and silver, and platinum, lead and copper in the mine, and with work, you could open up the next pocket of super rich ore and make a killing.

So you haven't worked these mines at all? I'm "assuming" you didn't even order the assay reports yourself? You found some un-renewed mine claims, paid the $125 or whatever to file and now your selling them, along with your RR?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have been and will be wrong again :)

Oh, I know sites with "proven" reserves for sale for a LOT cheaper than your talking about. You gotta look places other than e-bay :)

one_bad_rover

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
So as to wood structures. I love to see them, but never in a mine, wood rots and falls apart, and while it may provide minimal support do you really think that if there was a cave in that the wood would (hahaha, would wood) hold up the mountain? Contrary to popular belief, hard rock mines had a lot of engineering and knowledge put into them. People in those days were the same as you and I, so if you were going to be cutting, blasting and drilling underground, would you put some effort into making sure that the mine was secure? If you look at "good" hard rock mines, they are usually cut with an arch or an apex, much in the way that you see bridges and gothing buildings supported, the majority of the weight rolls into that arch or apex and if its engineered correctly, is super strong and durable. If you still doubt this, look at current mining operations, Kennecott, Barrack, etc.. all of these mines are much larger, yes, but cut in without wood or "support", they rely on the cut of the adit or shaft for support and then they run 30 ton trucks through them. Thats pretty solid. Now coal mines, they use supports, and look at how many of them collapse.
Ive been in too many old mines to have any belief in supports. They fade and rot, and they dont hold up much of anything.
As to the assays, the company that does them for us ususally only runs gold and silver, they can do more, but its a lot more expensive, so we usually just do gold and silver. Its pretty standard that the four metals fall together so if you have gold and silver, you are going to have some copper and platinum.
We actually locate all of these mines, and only claim a few, there are a lot that are "worked out" but there are some that you can find quite a bit in. Many mines have been highgraded out, they tried to get as much ore as possible and get out due to hostiles in the area, or they were just like you and me and were only working by hand.
As to why we are turning them, well it serves dual purposes, 1, it raises funds for the organization, which is pretty much the only way to make any headway in this political climate. and 2, it gets people out and woking these sites, which gets more people excited about mining and helps us to show that these old mines have a value.

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
not for nuttin and just my 2 cents worth.

I was trying to purchase 40 acres of land in utah in aug of '08.I had a realestate atty check for restrictions and covenents on the property.Seems as though the state of utah holds all the mineral right and water rights in the state.So if or when you buy land you dont get the mineral rights and have to apply to the state for water rights.If they wont sell you the water rights you have a piece of property with no water.Just thought Id let you all know.So if your thinking of a claim in Utah Id check it out completly with the state and BLM to see if its legal or a scam..Just my 2 cents.....

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, so you can't get rights to mine minerals at all? Can you get a permit or something? This would be a shame.

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
You can get mineral rights. You just have to file a claim. It's easier to get mineral rights than it is to get a well permit. People need to be very careful buying land. It's seems like a no-brainer that if you buy enough land to live on that you should be able to drill a well on your own land, but it's not so. It has been this way for many years. Most land for sale will be listed as either with or without water. The same goes for mineral rights. Just because you buy the land doesn't mean you own the mineral rights. Our forefathers are probably rolling over in their graves.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, it's the same here. I misunderstood your previous post :) Filing a claim is really easy :thumbsup:

FLOYD MANN

Apr 16, 2003
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
HMMMM !!

I have bought the 2 mentioned claims---plus 2 others attached---plus another 20 acres I have filed a claim on about a mile away. I can mine anything I want that happens to be on these properties & there is a VERY nice year-round spring for my water needs. There are thousands of feet of tunnels & I've already strung permanent lights in about 300 feet of one of the Main tunnels. NOTHING fishy going on. Seller of these claims & many others is completely above-board--I've known Corey for Years ! For many years I have catered ( providing meals, etc. ) their expeditions. I love being able to help organizations that are trying VERY hard to preserve our mining & ghost town sites. ALL of you are Welcome to visit my claims, explore, picnic, etc---just treat the property nicely !

FLOYD MANN
http://www.LostTreasureUSA.com/

sanpet

Mar 22, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Floyd when are you going to be back to Utah? I missed you last time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread