Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
I have a Troy X-2 and love it. It's not metered, tone ID only but works real
well. I have had several different models of Tesero's over the years as well
and I can't say that I've seen alot of difference. Now I don't know about
the new model Tesero's.

I don't use Tesero's any longer, I went to a "White's DFX". What a machine.
I do however still have my X-2.

Hope that helps.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember my MD manufacture history right Tesoro made the Troy X-2 and X-3 where as Fisher made the X-5.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close, the X2 was a modified Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax, the X3 and X5 were made for Troy by Fisher. I have an X2 and my brother has an X5. I still keep the X2 as a backup for my Tejon, it has no where near the depth of the Tejon but I still use it sometimes in trashy areas. It is a great little detector.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
I had an X-5 and couldn't wait to get rid of it! I will take a Tejon any day over the Troy line. Bill

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldbill said:
I had an X-5 and couldn't wait to get rid of it! I will take a Tejon any day over the Troy line. Bill
BLASPHEMY

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
l.cutler said:
Close, the X2 was a modified Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax, the X3 and X5 were made for Troy by Fisher. I have an X2 and my brother has an X5. I still keep the X2 as a backup for my Tejon, it has no where near the depth of the Tejon but I still use it sometimes in trashy areas. It is a great little detector.

The Tesoro Silver Sabre was a copy of the X2 and the Tejon is the closest thing to an X5 the one thing that wasn't copied was the coil they are different in the DD for the X3 & X5 is hot center/ toe/heal. I believe the super7 coil is also different. Dan

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Troy X5 was built by Fisher labs for Troy and has 0 in common with a Tejon.

Berryman

May 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful. There's a lot of disinformation in this thread.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful. There's a lot of disinformation in this thread.

The 'Truth," is that there is no comparing these old machines to a new Tesoro Cibola; Silver uMax; or Vaquero, especially when they are sporting the new 11" x 8" Widescan coil.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, I thought that I was the only one with a Troy X2 left in the World! That machine carried me for many years before I broke down and bought an Excal II. The Troy X2 is a solid dry sand/land machine and would go down to about 8", typical of single VLF machines (whomever makes them). However, it was terrible in wet sand, lacking any stability even with low sensitivity. I previously noted similarities between an older Tesoro and the Troy X2 and thanks for the history lesson in the discussion for confirming my suspicions. Finally, regarding newer VLFs one reason they go further down is either because of (typically) higher frequencies (for detecting gold, for example) or larger coils. Also, you can't beat Butterfly coils at improving S/N ratios.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread